Nugget Shooter Forums

Is this really where you find gold at?

Rimshot

:thumbsupanim #1 rule of prospecting is to look,as a place to start, where gold has been found before and procede from there. Most states have GREAT geology departments with many 1,000 of maps and reports with amazing info for you to enrich your hunts with for pennies on the dollar compared to retail locations-tons a au 2 u2 -John :D

Rimshot:

That is generally true in a creek that runs a lot.

It is a something to keep in mind when detecting a dry creek.

But, as garimpo said...beep the whole creek.

Most of the gold ive found has been in spots where it shouldnt be.

This is due to flooding,old creek beds up high and all kinds of other factors that we dont know about.

Just beep all over :)

Tom H.

OK fellows. That's kinda what I thought you might say, but wasn't sure. I guess gold could be washing in anywhere. TKS!

I learned from a very successful old timer that the larger gold (such as that a detector will see) settles a bit differently out here than where most books will tell you... and he is right.

just think of the rock like a boat and look where the slowest water would be.

I learned from a very successful old timer that the larger gold (such as that a detector will see) settles a bit differently out here than where most books will tell you... and he is right.

just think of the rock like a boat and look where the slowest water would be.

Glenn,

Are you talking about the rocks or the boulders?

Boulders. But, by definition anything larger than 10" diameter is a boulder :)

Most folks dig like a mad man right behind boulders and come up with fines. they don't dig elsewhere where, the water first slowed so they don't get to where the larger pieces fell. Look at where the larger rocks are around boulders and that will tell you where the larger gold fell.

Oh, and here's a third, fourth and fifth on cleaning out those cracks!

Can someone please tell me what book this is from? Would like to pick it up. Thanks.

I don't know Chris, but I wouldn't mind owning one too. I have seen these used in many write ups on the web and have also seen them on image web pages only also. I would think it's from an old book and they appear to be pictures taken of a picture in a book. If you find it i'd like to know the name so maybe i find one in a garage sale.

Almost every book on gold panning has these type of drawings in them , usually with small variations to avoid copyright issues. I would imagine most of the gold prospecting books also contain the images. Now as it has been said " gold is where you find it " and is sooooo true... if ya have time read this story ya just never know.

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/treasure-stories/key-west-gold-diggers-looking-for-pirates-chest?cpao=121&utm_source=31512&utm_medium=email

I do indeed own a copy of "Fists Full of Gold" along with "Three Hours to Gold" and "Follow the Drywashers: The Nuggetshooters Bible" by Jim Straight. Packed with great and useful info. Best book purchases I have made.

Hi All

GlennM wrote "Look at where the larger rocks are around boulders and that will tell you where the larger gold fell".

That has to be one of the most simplistic explanations I've heard & 100% correct. But not only where the larger rocks are around boulders but anywhere along the stream, the fast flowing water shifted them to the point at which they lay & they only lay there because the water slowed enough to drop them

Lee