Nugget Shooter Forums

Question for Arizonian Nugget Hunters

Rimshot

How many rattlesnakes do you encounter on a daily basis while nugget hunting?

Very few, see one every now and again and simply avoid them. Some get all worked up and blast them or do surgery with a shovel, but I feel no threat from them on their turf and heck they even have the decency to warn you when blundering along not paying attention.

Personally I do not molest any of the critters I come across while nugget shooting since I am a guest in their world.

Very few, see one every now and again and simply avoid them. Some get all worked up and blast them or do surgery with a shovel, but I feel no threat from them on their turf and heck they even have the decency to warn you when blundering along not paying attention.

Personally I do not molest any of the critters I come across while nugget shooting since I am a guest in their world.

Thanks Bill,

I was starting to wonder after seeing some of the past post with huge snakes. Your reply makes me feel a whole lot better. :D

Well put Bill ... On the other hand I do carry a .38 snubby with snake shot in the first 2 cylinders just in case. Never had to use it while prospecting though! I use external speakers rather than headphones partly so that I can better hear their friendly warning. The biggest drawback to the external speakers is that critters of all shapes and forms can hear me coming so they are all usually gone by the time I get to the spot I could have seen them. I'm more concerned with killer bees than rattle snakes ... the revolver doesn't help a bit with them though. Another suggestion ... I always wear snake guards over canvas upland bird/brush pants when detecting ... but those are more for the cactus spikes and other stickers on seemingly every growing thing in AZ. Since starting desert detecting in 2002 i have never even been struck at by a snake.

My best suggestion would be to just be aware the snakes are or could be there and don't reach behind rocks or step over things without knowing what is on the other side.

Mike F

Boy that Black Rattler is a beauty! Nice picture. The Black Tail is sitting in one of those spots i was talking about not reaching into or stepping over without knowing what's there. Mike F

Well put Bill ... On the other hand I do carry a .38 snubby with snake shot in the first 2 cylinders just in case.

Mike F

Just in case what ? ...... Just in case he comes at you with a knife?

I spent 8 years in Arizona and Nevada out in the field and all I ever saw was 3 snakes. It makes me wonder how many you don't see for everyone one you do.... Just had to be more then that out there close by..

Steve

I worked next to the black tail for most of the morning, we were trying to open up a caved-in mine. In the picture, he was behind me.post-3800-0-08028900-1331838470_thumb.jp In the last 6 yrs. I have seen at least a dozen snakes. I must attract them

Goldfinger you must have the luck of the Irish when it comes to snakes....you've only seen three and I've been

struck by three.....I see a lot of snakes but not those three and the last one was a very powerful strike almost

at the top of my leg guards....

Rimshot you probably have bigger rattlers in East Texas than Arizona has....your biggest worry there should be

the copperheads....

In AZ I always carried a two shot derringer loaded with .22 rat shot...more than enough to get the job done but

only the ones around camp....

garimpo,

I have never seen a rattler in this part of east texas (NE) but have heard there are a few in South Eastern part. Mostly coppers and mocassins here and every once in awhile peeps find a coral snake.

About a year ago I almost got bit by a copper. And it was full grown a little over 2 feet long. The tip of his tail was as big as my little finger. The bad thing about coppers is you never know until you get to close. They cock their heads back ready to strike. They blend so well with the dead leaves.

I was also hand clearing the woods on back side of my property one day and one slithered between my feet. He was about a foot and half long. But it was in a hurry to get out of my way. Skeered the H out of me.

One of the guys I had doing a new septic for me was down at the creek one day installing a 24 " culvert pipe claims he seen 4 moccassins. 3 babies and the momma. He said he killed the babies but the moma got away. Sure enuf when I cleared the woods on the otherside of the creek I found a snake skin almost 5 feet long that fit the description he gave me. I just hope its left the property now. lol!

Thank's guys for the info! Now I can rest a little easier. I was about to scrub this idea about going to AZ.

Adam ... The "just in case" is for a snake that might get agressive ... or perhaps a smarta$$ ... Kidding on the last one of course ...Just in case ....!

This is the only one I've come across and he was more scared of me. I tried several times to pick him up to show him to Kat, but he wasn't happy with that. The only other snake I've come across is a trouser snake ;) and he's been with me for a long time ... we're good friends :hahaha: :hahaha:

post-2798-0-20727900-1331866107_thumb.jp

A couple years back one of my friends was detecting and felt something brush up against his shin. He took a couple steps then realised it had to be something a little more than brushing up against a bush. He turned around only to find out he had been tagged by a 3 foot Mojave Green.

It's a good thing he was wearing Snake Gators because he would have had one hell of a crappy day!

Del ,

Your post just made me pack my guards for the weekend. Wasnt gonna do it , but I will throw em in the truck. To answer rimshots question, the fact is that after 13 years of rockhounding and some prospecting, I rarely see rattlesnakes. Mike aparenty runs across smarta$$ rattlesnakes from time..... :D

Just the other day I was digging a target and looked up and there was a black rattler 6" from my hand. He was just smelling me and never even rattled. He even let me finish digging. I must've passed over him 4 times before I even saw him. Just be cautious out there. They are always around. They just dont always show themselves.

Hey Adam I came up to my friend about fifteen minutes after it happened and he was mortified! His experience proved what I had thought for years about Rattlesnake bites... Chances are you probably wouldn't even feel it unless they dig their fangs in.

How many times have you walked through bushes and got stuck by a cactus or something sharp that hurt enough to catch your attention? Yeah... Wouldn't even hurt that much and the chances are most people wouldn't even notice it. Just a small nip is all it takes.

I NEVER wore Snake Gators until this happened!

This is the only one I've come across and he was more scared of me. I tried several times to pick him up to show him to Kat, but he wasn't happy with that. The only other snake I've come across is a trouser snake ;) and he's been with me for a long time ... we're good friends :hahaha: :hahaha:

Well what kind of rattler in the picture Johnno?

Sorry guys my internet must be going wacko tonight.

On Sonny's site (www.nevadameteorites.com), there is Mojave Green that I had the pleasure of running into down at Franconia. It caught my attention real quick. I slowly left the area and didn't hunt until winter time. No need to chance a snake bite. A friend of mine was in CA and got bit by a baby rattler. He needed I think 3 or 4, anti venom shots and they gave him penicillin too. He didn't know though, he was allergic to penicillin until after the shot. I alway bring this photo out during the spring and summer time, just for a refresher....

Jason

snakebite.jpg

Jay that gives a whole new meaning to the word botox. WOW! What did the guy do? Sit on it?

I read somewhere that the babies are more dangerous because when they bite they release all their poison where the adults have learned not to release it all.

Jason he needed some "azz guards".. :gig:

Those Mojave's are a beautiful snakes....if you hunt that area West of Wikieup, AZ I've seen black...red and green

Mojave's....and all of them had a bad attitude.....also in that area is a good supply of coon tails.....

The bad thing about the Mojaves is their venom attacks both the respiratory and nerve system....

I darn near walked on a rattler late last year. Something told me to take off a headphones cup and, sure enough, there was that warning rattle going on.

all in all I've seen probably 5 snakes in the last few years. Only two close enough to be a problem.

I say just throw on some snake guards and be aware. during winter they're too slow to be able to do much, during the summer they are hiding in the shade. The juvenile ones are the more dangerous... they freak out and inject all the venom they have whereas the older ones only throw enough in to make it stick.

Archived