Nugget Shooter Forums

Paydirt - Joke or Not?

AdamD777

So, I live in Pennylvania....kinda not a great gold finding area. I don't have a ton of time either with a baby to venture off to nearby rivers, etc. for the day/weekend as well. So my main question.........which I'm sure has been asked many a times, on here........is........

Are there ANY website's, ebay sites, etc. where I can buy gold concentrates/dirt that potentially have a chance to make me a profit or is that a complete dream and I should try to put ice on this 'gold fever' ?

My rational/logical mind tells me that "IF I OWNED A CLAIM", why would I send someone else concentrate, unless I already went through it, maybe tossed in a few flakes myself, to keep the customer 'kinda' happy cause they found a dollars worth, to hope they buy again. BUT the little kid in me that has HOPE for more, says..........."MAYBE JUST MAYBE there is a claim owner actually shipping it out and not checking through it first allowing for some potential profit"

Anything out there legit? Stories appreciated, where you paid "X" amount and found "X" amount would be awesome!

Just wanna know if I should put this to rest or keep on dreaming..........

When you're starting out "paydirt" might be good for practice. Just to understand what gold does in the pan.

Beyond that --- make a road trip to help with the fever.

I've never bought any but there is a saying I live by--- " You seldom get what you pay for---and you never get what you haven't paid for. "

I have a great friend that makes up some of these bags. He is doing it to be able to sell his gold at spot. If you buy a $50, $100 bag, you will always get that much in gold, sometimes a bit more but never less. I don't know what others do......

Hey Adam ,

somewhere around here i have an article detailing " paydirt " bags from a well published author. Most people run their diggings through a very small sized classifier and then seed the bags with some known gold specimens...usually small pieces. this is one way people cash in their gold ... They get close to current spot for their gold and another gets some gold and a little adventure as well. Perfect for people living in non gold bearings like here in cleveland. Most of the ones making the paydirt bags are not out to scam anyone so feel free to buy a few and have some fun.

So, I live in Pennylvania....kinda not a great gold finding area. I don't have a ton of time either with a baby to venture off to nearby rivers, etc. for the day/weekend as well. So my main question.........which I'm sure has been asked many a times, on here........is........

Are there ANY website's, ebay sites, etc. where I can buy gold concentrates/dirt that potentially have a chance to make me a profit Very Rarely or is that a complete dream Yes and I should try to put ice on this 'gold fever' ?

My rational/logical mind tells me that "IF I OWNED A CLAIM", why would I send someone else concentrate, unless I already went through it, maybe tossed in a few flakes myself, to keep the customer 'kinda' happy cause they found a dollars worth, to hope they buy again. BUT the little kid in me that has HOPE for more, says..........."MAYBE JUST MAYBE there is a claim owner actually shipping it out and not checking through it first allowing for some potential profit"

Anything out there legit? Stories appreciated, where you paid "X" amount and found "X" amount would be awesome!

Just wanna know if I should put this to rest or keep on dreaming..........

AdamD777,

Most bags of dirt are salted. I have a place down the street that sells gold (differant sizes (flour gold & pickers) to people who put the bags together to sell to people. Every so often they throw a larger nugget in.

As stated some people will sell their gold concentrates they picked up prospecting or dredgeing, they usally make more money thatway than selling to a gold refiner.

Its a good way to get color (stay legal) & practice your panning technique......Or show the kids how its done........you won't get rich, they do.

wonderer

I've sold literally tons of it. I learned early on that people are not happy if they get skunked so I added some to each and every bag I shipped. In the real world, as we all know, you can process a ton of material and get skunked. Selling paydirt is a lot of work but there is a pretty strong market. With the cost of gold where it is, it's tough to make a buck if you have to buy it. There are people out there who are selling dirt from non gold bearing areas. If you are going to buy some, at least buy from someone in gold country.

"Are there ANY website's, ebay sites, etc. where I can buy gold concentrates/dirt that potentially have a chance to make me a profit or is that a complete dream and I should try to put ice on this 'gold fever' ?"

Only if the price of gold increases. And only if you sell.

Just like any other commodity buy low. Forget the dirt you can get that free in your yard, just buy placer gold below spot from a person that ships free.

Most have said it one way or another. I'll just blunt the tip a bit for ya...

99% of the dirt you buy out there has been run before and is now salted with gold to equal the spot-price amount (with a little variance to make up for fluctuation) you pay for the bag.

if the bag costs you $50 and spot is $50 a gram, you're going to have really darn close to a gram in the bag.

As was said, sometimes the seller will throw a pinch extra, or even a small nugget.

You, as the buyer, are promised gold, and you get gold and you will work on your panning skills. But you will not get monetarily rich buying dirt bags. This is because placer gold has impurities and you'll never get full spot (bullion) price for placer gold if you try to sell it. Gold bags are priced like they are to make the seller about 10-20% (before packaging costs) on the price of a bag. this means they need to sell 10-20 bags at $50/bag to make $100 over cost, minus supplies.

You get to have fun, they get a few bucks more than they would selling to a smelter.

I agree with Dakota Slim... buy your bags from companies whose address is in a gold bearing area. And don't be afraid to get hold of them and ask where the gold came from (state, district, mine, etc). Most won't hesitate to tell you, and I find it fun to know where my gold came from so I can compare the color and such of different producing areas.

Since ya'll are on this subject, what about the big chunks i've seen on e-bay before? They look like slag and I think they came from the vat where the gold was melted down in the old days. They sell them for like 50-100 bucks each. Just curious.

Since ya'll are on this subject, what about the big chunks i've seen on e-bay before? They look like slag and I think they came from the vat where the gold was melted down in the old days. They sell them for like 50-100 bucks each. Just curious.

Rimshot,

Slag is the leftover byproduct from alot of processes, not just gold processing.

If slag was worth something Leadville, CO would be rich.

wonderer

I have sold nice pieces on ebay a while ago and they were indeed placer nuggets, remember though that people often enlarge the nugget for detail so it looks huge but can only be a few grains. They like to sell it in gram increments so it sounds like a lot of gold. I usually always made more than spot selling here but the market might be pretty flooded right now. I havent sold any in a year or so.

I have sold nice pieces on ebay a while ago and they were indeed placer nuggets, remember though that people often enlarge the nugget for detail so it looks huge but can only be a few grains. They like to sell it in gram increments so it sounds like a lot of gold. I usually always made more than spot selling here but the market might be pretty flooded right now. I havent sold any in a year or so.

Jerico,

This is not a placer. This is slag. You buy it by the 10 lb box on e-bay. But all pieces will not look similar to this photo. For $100 + 40 some odd dollars for shipping. The dude claims you can crush it and pan it but I doubt that you would have pure gold after doing so.

You might get 5 or 10 chunks in a box. Some of the individual pieces I seen quite awhile back weighed 5 to 10 lbs each. He also claims there is silver and borite? in it as well. And claims it's from 1800's mining era.

I think it would look cool as a door stop or conversation piece. But not for $140. LOL!

Borite is a sulfide and would have to refined by someone that knows what they're doing to release any gold.

I saw the auction you're talking about, you maybe able to get your money back if you could get the gold out of the Borite, and then maybe not after the cost of the refining.

Skip

Borite is a sulfide and would have to refined by someone that knows what they're doing to release any gold.

I saw the auction you're talking about, you maybe able to get your money back if you could get the gold out of the Borite, and then maybe not after the cost of the refining.

Skip

Thank you AU, now if I only had a crucible (bad spelling?) and some soda ash laying around and a furnace...it would be interesting to see how much one could get out of 10 lbs.

I watched the refine process on tv once and it seemed very simple to do. I watched the one where the guy brought in some sand with high gold content. They dumped it into the crucible then added an equal amount of soda ash, stuck it in the furnace, then cooled it down, then dumped it out onto the floor. It looks like a cone after they do this. Then the worker hit the cone with a hammer which separates the peak of the cone from soda ash and sand. The peak is solid gold. Then they took the peak and melted it back down and poured it into a tray so it would be in the shape of a bar.

So the soda ash does several things. It helps the gold to settle out, it keeps the gold separated from the other impurities and it keeps the gold from sticking to the crucible.

Very enjoyable to watch.

Rimshot ... I think I saw the same show ... If my memory serves me correctly I believe you may be missing something. Two ingredients, I believe, were added to the gold crush ... your soda ash and Borax. Correct me if I am wrong for those who have experience in this stuff.

Mike F

Rimshot ... I think I saw the same show ... If my memory serves me correctly I believe you may be missing something. Two ingredients, I believe, were added to the gold crush ... your soda ash and Borax. Correct me if I am wrong for those who have experience in this stuff.

Mike F

You're exactly right Mike! Thank's for reminding me! It's tuff getting old. ;- ( Now that you have reminded me I think it was the borax that kept it all from sticking to the crucible during cool down.

I think you mean bornite. http://www.mindat.org/min-727.html

Forget about trying to extract any precious metals from it...

Steve

Thank's Steve,

That makes sense. I can remember when the guy use to sale individual pieces and you could see that greenish color in some of the specimen.

Glad I didn't buy any back then.