Nugget Shooter Forums

Sluice Box Angle and Flow Help

I am trying to get the angle and water flow of the 3ft sluice and it seems to be tricky... I think the water pump I have been using might be flowing tooo fast, we tried to slow it down by putting a speed adjuster on it, but it didn't seem to slow it enough.

Anyone have a pump size suggestion for a 27 gallon storage tote, filled about half way so approx. 15 gallons of water?

DSCN6440.JPG

The best way to control the flow on a high output pump without putting a strain/back pressure on the pump, is to install a Y with shut off valves, the pump's output connects to the Y and then one hose would go to your sluice the other goes into your reservoir/tub, using the control valves adjust the sluice side and then balance out the remaining flow to the tub so you have 100% flow between both of the Y hoses, 60% sluice, 40% back into the tub, etc., this works better than restricting the entire flow from your pump and give you a wide range of adjustment..

Skip

The best way to control the flow on a high output pump without putting a strain/back pressure on the pump, is to install a Y with shut off valves, the pump's output connects to the Y and then one hose would go to your sluice the other goes into your reservoir/tub, using the control valves adjust the sluice side and then balance out the remaining flow to the tub so you have 100% flow between both of the Y hoses, 60% sluice, 40% back into the tub, etc., this works better than restricting the entire flow from your pump and give you a wide range of adjustment..

Skip

Yes, the pump does not like the restriction at all! I will have to try this when I get home tonight. Such a learning experiance!!

about 30 degrees incline maybe a little more. "volume" of water should not effect performance, the more the better.

most people usualy have there incline to low. if it's stuffing up with anything other than black sand it needs to be higher. if it seems to be stuffing up still, try letting your sluice rest with clean water for a second, to clear it. (especialy if you're dealing with clay)

if it's not catching anything at all, well, too high obviously.

also is your pump just blasting through your sluice? if so try using a rock or a catch box to "hold up" the water and let gravity pull the water down not the pump. this might give better results.

I use an irigation ditch with a 3" pipe and that's a big problem for me.

about 30 degrees incline maybe a little more. "volume" of water should not effect performance, the more the better.

most people usualy have there incline to low. if it's stuffing up with anything other than black sand it needs to be higher. if it seems to be stuffing up still, try letting your sluice rest with clean water for a second, to clear it. (especialy if you're dealing with clay)

if it's not catching anything at all, well, too high obviously.

also is your pump just blasting through your sluice? if so try using a rock or a catch box to "hold up" the water and let gravity pull the water down not the pump. this might give better results.

I use an irigation ditch with a 3" pipe and that's a big problem for me.

Thanks for commenting! We are constantly questioning the incline.... Since the sluice is about 3ft long we raised it about 3"... not sure where that number came from now... :rolleyes: We ended up having gravel as well as black sand bult up. When we turned the pump off the water would sit in the sluice (kind of stagnet), and not flow out. Should the water have flowed out based on the angle?

So with a 30% incline and the 3ft sluice...it would need to be raised approx. 10.8 inches? I have also read that a 15% incline is good, which would have been about a 5.5 inch incline.

The pump has about 3 to 4ft of house connected beore it empties into the bucket. We did use a rock in the bucket to change the flow of the pump, it helped by flattening out the water and it appeared to be dispersing it more evenly. We would like to add a piece of sheet metal to make the sluice longer eventually, that way the water has more time to settle before being rushed down the ramp....

Thanks for commenting! We are constantly questioning the incline.... Since the sluice is about 3ft long we raised it about 3"... not sure where that number came from now... :rolleyes: We ended up having gravel as well as black sand bult up. When we turned the pump off the water would sit in the sluice (kind of stagnet), and not flow out. Should the water have flowed out based on the angle?

So with a 30% incline and the 3ft sluice...it would need to be raised approx. 10.8 inches? I have also read that a 15% incline is good, which would have been about a 5.5 inch incline.

The pump has about 3 to 4ft of house connected beore it empties into the bucket. We did use a rock in the bucket to change the flow of the pump, it helped by flattening out the water and it appeared to be dispersing it more evenly. We would like to add a piece of sheet metal to make the sluice longer eventually, that way the water has more time to settle before being rushed down the ramp....

if it's building black sand and not dirt but the water is staying when off than that means that your carpet is stuffing with black sand and hopefuly gold. thus holding the water back. it can't flow through the carpet and blades. so... all good. :)

actualy don't even bother with degrees. just get it as high as posable while still retaining black sand. thats the sweet spot. just raise the heck out of it run some dirt and check to see if it's retaining black sand. if it's running off lower it little by little. and keep rechecking.

maybe colect some of your black sand and use it for testing.

a highbanker isn't called that for nothing. ;)

also if your gold is realy fine like specks\dust, you'll need to have it slightly lower than normal. always check your material with a pan befor sluicing it. so you know what you're after.

the sluice will collect some gravel. to purify it without a jigg empty the sluice into a bucket, fill with water, than use your hand to realy kick up everything in th bucket than imediatly "slowly" tip it on its side and dump most of your water out the black sand and gold will drop before all the lighter stuff which will flow out with the water, with the black sand and gold sitting in the corner of the bucket. some of it will collect on the side while poring just practice and you'll get the rate right.

you might need to repeat the process a few times to realy clean it. once done you'll see just how black black sand realy is.