Nugget Shooter Forums

S Handles for SD & GPX series

Hi Everyone-

Is it possible to get an S handle for the SD & GPX series? I used to have an SD 2000 and hated the straight handle configuration. Was always used to the S handle on the GB2.. Even the bungee cord didn't help any. Maybe I'm just stuck on an old habit...

Steve

I don't see why not Steve....I may be mistaken but I believe all the Minelab shafts are interchangeable....talk to

nvchris he seems to have good "handle" :gig: on Minelab parts....

All the 2100 an 2200 V2 blue box units came with s handles.

Funny you mention this The 1st thigh I did when I bought the 2200 for the wife was remove the s handle and replace it with a straight shaft. Much more control.

You'll be able to find one on the forums or fleabay.

I brought Peter Heydelaars used SD 2000 and they all came out with the straight shaft. I guess that's why I assumed the later models also did. Where have I been??? :hahaha:

Anyway, which model was the first to have volume control? I know it wasn't the SD2000. That was a serious design flaw to me. Was it the SD2100 or the later models? Have a pretty bad hearing loss and that's a necessity for me.

Steve

Steve if your not using a "sound enhancer" your walking over gold....Doc has a good one and so does Bill S.

I think the GP3000 had the first volume control but it wasn't enough.....the best improvement for volume was the

GPX 4500 or 5000 battery that had a sound enhancer built in...but I still use Doc's Gold Screamer and I think

Bill S. is now selling them....

Don-

My hearing is really terrible and without a volume control on the SD or GP itself, I kind of doubt the sound enhancers will be of much help other then to bring it up to a normal hearing range. Now If I had both, that would be beneficial to me. Which model first featured the volume control? The SD2100 or one of the GP series?

Steve

Steve, I use a SD2200V2

I used to have a coiltek mini amp and it helped. However, I bought a Gold Screamer Amp , and I am not kidding you, IT IS LOUD! Way louder than the old one. That in combination with my Adjustable volume Black Widow headphones makes for an awesome sound system.

Thanks Adam-

I had the GB2 which had the audio boost and found it absolutely useless. There's a such a thing called "sensory overload" and that's why I'm a little skeptical about all these boosters. But if a detector like the SD 2000 doesn't even have a volume control, I suppose it could be helpful. What in the world was Minelab thinking when they designed it in the first place??

Steve

Steve either a Coiltek or Doc;s amps will BLOW YOUR EARS OFF :head:

The audio output on the Minelab P.I.'s we all use is rather subtle to say the least. BUT with an amp youre set to go.

I have owned both . I am now using the Coiltek unit with the bypass switch I like it best.

Normally I use Black Widows headphones, Recently bought a pair of Nuggetbusters and have been using them for over a month they are also excellent.

I have a set of Rattlers I havent used yet waiting for summer to come and try them out.

I am sold on DetectorPro headphones.

If you want to convert to the s-handle try running a wanted ad on the forums. I am sure theres someone with one sitting in a closet from a straight shaft conversion that will sell it.

Just did a test for you Steve....I took the lower rod with coil out of my s-handle Soverign and put the lower shaft with

coil from my GP3500 into the Soverign s-handle everything snugged up perfect....

Herb is right about the GP Extreme....forgot all about that one....Gold Screamer is the way to go...

Thanks for the replies everyone.

How much of a difference performance wise is there between a SD2100 and the SD2200? I figure the 2200 would be more expensive but if there's not much difference from the 2100, it's probably a better buy. No way am I even going to consider the SD2000.

Steve

I owned a 2100 a few years back and I purchased my other half a 2200 recently.

She did not take very long to find her 1st nugget with it. Then shortly after her 2nd and 3rd.

Main difference if you didn't know Steve is the 2100 has no auto tracking.

I believe they are or would be very similar in performance if compared side by side, The only discerning factor would most likely be a 2100 in the right hands may be able to be "fine tuned" a bit more as it is a manual balance detector. Therefore it may be more productive when fine tuned in the right hands at any given location.

Its a choice between them of wanting manual ground balance for both channels (2100) or having auto tracking and quick balancing (2200)

Both are still VERY capable and productive detectors when the owner learns to use them.

My humble opinion. :twocents:

Frank-

I had an SD2000 once but lost all confidence in it and went back to my trusty GB2. Have not followed the threads on any of the SD or GP detectors since I don't have one anymore. It sounds like the comparison between the SD2100 and SD2200 is somewhat similar to that of the GB2 and XT18000. Both of them were great detectors but the GB2 could be "fine tuned" a bit more since it was manually balanced and could locate those tiny bits the XT18000 couldn't... I just want something reliable for patch hunting and is able to tune out most hot rocks... The SD2200 seems to be the choice if I am reading your post correctly.

Steve

You are Steve. I would not hesitate to own a 2200 for ease of useage with the auto tracking. A 11' and 1 larger coil is a fine combo for it.

I have done side by side comparisons in the field with the wife and her 2200V2 , whenever I detected a signal calling her over and checking the ground the 2200 would hear what I was hearing with my 3500. We have been using mono coils only so far and not had any comparisons with "DD"s yet.

Nothing wrong with a 2100 as long as you attend to checking your ground balance often and adjusting if nessessary.

I just prefer the 2200 because of the tracking mode. And the option of adding the push button mod on the handle for even easier/quicker balancing on the fly. Like all the later model P.I.'s.3500 and up.

I am going to have the mod done soon to the wifes detector since she told me she is content with it and becoming used to the machine.

Now I can't get her to give it up since she found 3 nuggets. She has also found about a dozen meteorites since she got it.

I even had the oppertunity to use a Green box 2200 for a few weeks over a year ago and 1st time out with it found 2 nuggets in a pounded patch.

Great machines NOMATTER what anyone says.

I would also take the 2200 if it was a choice between the two.. for the auto tune, ability to add a ground balance button, auto ground tracking ,channel 1 & 2 timings, Audio boost modes for shallow & deep. You can also discriminate if you wish. Its simplicity really......And I would take the 2200D or the 2200V2

• 2 weeks later...

Steve I would not trade my sd2000gpm for any detector. Has every mod from a variable frequency to sound amp. You name it it's in there. The unit runs super quite and is very sensitive. Only one in the US. There are other 2000 mod units here but not like this one.

Steve my 2000 was Ismaels personal unit. The best mod on it is the vco mod. You can adjust the variable frequency for the coil size and environment. It also has 6 fixed frequencies

The result is a very smooth sensitive th. I think the gpm refers to changing the detector from a Sd to a Gp. Thus Gp mod. Gpm

Ismael stopped doing mods for now. He came up with the vco mod before he stopped. A shame because it's that good. Though it's nice to have a tool in my bag that's one of a kind.

I used a White's Goldmaster S-Rod that fits the GM2, VSAT and GM3 on my old SD2100... Used it for years until it simply snapped into one day...Whittled a Palo Verde branch and spliced the two pieces together and used it that way for a few weeks....Cheers, Unc

Archived