Nugget Shooter Forums

Illinois Sin Tax?????

That's crazy, if they want to put a tax on ammo because of violent crimes, they need to only tax the ammo buyers that can't produce the state ID that is required before you can own a firearm in Illinois, but I guess that's too hard for those "lawmakers" to figure out!!! :nutty: :nutty:

I would guess that most of the illegal owners of firearms in Illinois are getting there ammo on the blackmarket the same place they get there guns and would be paying the tax anyway!!

I think this is more about gun control than the trauma centers that are taking care of the victims of violet crimes.

Skip

The " sin tax " will be coming to a city near you sooner than later. It's been here since 1990 and proved to be a huge revenue generator that just keeps giving. They taxed alcohol , tobbacco products , and a bed tax at all motels in the county. They built the indians stadiume , browns stadium , and the cavaliers arena with the tax money... then tell you that all the smokers who contributed a quarter a pack couldn't smoke there. Once the stadiums were built the tax never went away... always a new reason to keep it. Its a real shame !!! anyway , thats my two cents and keep the change.

UPDATE:

Oklahoma Landowner’s Hunting Freedom Act

Passes Senate Committee

NRA-backed Senate Bill 1743 passed in the state Senate Agriculture and Rural Development Committee yesterday by a 10 to 1 vote. Known as the “Landowner’s Hunting Freedom Act," SB 1743 is authored by state Senator Steve Russell (R-45) and would allow Oklahoma landowners and their guests to use lawfully-possessed suppressors (also referred to as silencers) on firearms for hunting. This legislation will now be sent to the Senate floor for consideration, and could be voted on any time in the coming weeks. Your NRA-ILA will continue to update you as this bill progresses through the legislative process.

In order to acquire a suppressor, a purchaser must submit the appropriate paperwork to the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives where long wait times for approval are unfortunately common (four to six months), undergo a background check by the FBI, find a licensed dealer authorized to conduct the transaction and pay a one-time $200 tax for each device.

While suppressors do not eliminate the sound of a firearm, they do reduce the muzzle report in a manner similar to the way that a muffler reduces exhaust noise from a vehicle. The benefits associated with suppressor use include increased accuracy due to reduced recoil and muzzle blast, protection from hearing damage and reduced noise pollution.

Noise complaints are being used more frequently as an excuse to close shooting ranges, informal shooting areas, and hunting lands throughout the country. Increased use of suppressors will help to eliminate many of these complaints and protect hunting and shooting areas well into the future. For more information on firearms and suppressors, click here.

Senator Charles Wyrick (D-1) was the lone committee member voting against SB 1743. The NRA thanks the following ten members of the state Senate Agriculture and Rural Development Committee that voted in favor of SB 1743:

Senator Eddie Fields (R-10), Chairman

Senator Ron Justice (R-23), Vice Chairman

Senator Mark Allen (R-4)

Senator Patrick Anderson (R-19)

Senator Don Barrington (R-31)

Senator Randy Bass (D-32)

Senator Jerry Ellis (D-5)

Senator Tom Ivester (D-26)

Senator Frank Simpson (R-14)

Senator Anthony Sykes (R-24)

Contact these Senators and thank them for their support using this contact information.

This alert is posted to http://nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2012/02/oklahoma-landowner%E2%80%99s-hunting-freedom-act-passes-senate-committee-today.aspx?s=&st=&ps=

Those Oakies know how to do something good other than 'Noodlin' ... :) An independent sort of folk that the rest of the country could take a lesson from: especially the likes of CA, NY, CT, RI, IL, MA &VT ... and I'm sure as few others as well!

Just my humble opinion of course!

Mike F

Don ... I knew that already ... won't hold it against you though. We need more OK, ME, NH, AL,TN and others to take our national past times back ... and I'm not talking baseball here ... Hunting fishing snowmobiling hiking biking prospecting atving rock climbing etc etc etc in the great outdoors is what it is all about!

Mike F

We have a saying here in New Mexico...If you take a Texan, clean him up a bit and teach him how to spell "chile" you could hardly tell him from an Okie. :evil1: Just kidding Don. We all just love Okies down here. If it wasn't for the Oklahoma panhandle we would almost be touching Kansas and that would be just icky. So thank God for Oklahoma and all the greatness therein!

Honestly, I could not imagine why a fellow would want to hunt with a silencer, but then I can't see any reason why he would not be allowed to either. I just don't get the prohibition on silencers to begin with. If anyone wants to silence a weapon he can easily build a silencer and a lot of weapons nowdays come threaded for something to screw on up there. So it is sort of the honor system anyway.

A silencer is just a $200 federal permit anyhoo, just like a fully auto weapon. If'n you want one it is not impossible to have one legally. I don't think the permits are flying off the shelf. But if you wanted to legally silence a weapon and then hunt with it I bet that you could do that and never get any hassle about it. And as long as owning the silenced weapon was not an issue in the first place I bet a judge would let you go with a slap on the wrist for a simple game violation.

It is nice to shoot suppressed. Less report does make a difference in accuracy. But it really dirties up an automatic rifle. It gets your nice AR-15 all black and crusty like a muzzle loader on the inside. It is the difference between "bang" and "biff" and will cost you a smooth $350 bucks for the hardware and permit even if the state says they are legal to hunt with. Very few men are going to blow $350 just to have an aluminum can screwed to the end of their barrel on opening day. But for those that get the feelin' to do that I don't see why not.