Nugget Shooter Forums

Blue Bowl Question from a Newbie

Hardluck

Hi All,

I'm new to the board and prospecting. I've been panning around SoCal for about six months and lurking at Nugget Shooter for a couple of weeks.

Can anyone offer some hints regarding Blue Bowl use? I bought a Blue Bowl a few weeks ago and have been running sluice concentrates through it. No problems with the stuff that went through a 100 mesh screen, but the 30 and 50 screened material often contains small, long flakes of heavy rock (quartz and schist I think as they are usually white or grey) that won't clear out. They just spin and spin, climbing the center post occasionally before heading back down to the bottom inside edge and rotating. I've been pulling them out with tweezers but doing so requires that I stop the pump and it slows the whole operation. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Sorry to introduce myself with a plea for help...

Keith

Welcome to the forum Keith , you have come to the right place. If some of the members cant answer your questions then an answer doesn't exist.... these guys are awesome. Have an awesome day !!! sorry i can't answer your question though , i will leave it to the pros.

Those flakes that won't wash out may contain heavey minerals that

are so fine you won't see them. If you can pick them out you might

try crushing them and rerunning them without anything else in the bowl

just to see if there is any. No telling what you might find.

!st-throw away the instructions as they are absolute wrong. Run only 50 minus,full to the brim,move valve at least 12" from the injection point,wet all materials,introduce up against the wall straight across from water injection point and good to go. Over 50 mesh run in a wheel or keene old school green bowl(not new one with wings like a bloody kotex) and good to go. tons a au 2 u2 -John

Hoser John I must say you know you stuff! I picked up a older green bowl at a flea along with a bunch of gold pans for $20 couple weeks ago. It has a extra port installed. How high do you run your water with the fines in the green bowl?

John, does the line from the valve to the port need to be a straight shot or can you have an elbow?

The reason to move the valve further away from the inlet is to get as smooth a flow of water into that port as possible, an elbow at the port would defeat that purpose.