Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

weaver hillbille

low buck surveying equipment and questions

I'd like to sight some property lines from listed bearings on survey map, as well as sight countours.

I assume that the bearings are based on TRue NOrth( and not magnetic).

WHere I am at:

Using a Silva Orientiering compass and existing data, I figure 11degrees east declination and just sight from each corner using the bearings given off the map . I am assuming those are based on true north( not magnetic)??

For example: a listed bearing along one boundary line is S64 04' 12"W which indicates :::

a heading of of 64 degrees and change WESTWARD from 180 degrees due south or 244 degrees

I set thecompass to 349ish degrees(360 -11), dial it in so it's pointed true, sight a bearing along 244 degrees from behind same property pin, memorize a spot along that sight line, go there, stack stones or mark accordingly, repeat along same bearing from new spot until you can sight adjacent corner, repeat from all corners, scratch shins, sprain ankles, get poison oak, find pretty rocks, cow pucky and snakes, not necessarily in that order.......

HOw can improve on that?

I have a DEwalt tripod mount for a rotary laser level and it has what I think a standard 5/8"-11 bayonet mount.

:aw-shucks: I have no laserbeams, though, and don't think I need or can afford them, but a nice telescopic sight that could accurately be pointed to a specific map heading along a property boundary would make accurate marker placement much easier, I think.

:stupidrb: Ihear talk an rumor bout some new fangled thang callt Jeepyes that suposdt a make map redin and sirveyin chilz play. Are they worth thetrouble of screwin onto a tripod? What wood be a low buck entry into that money pit?

THanks for any and all advice, smartalecky or otherwise.

O :ROFL: h , I didn't even tell you about my plan of sighting contours with a 6 foot level, but Ifigure,what's the point as there must be a better way.

Hillbille ... Save yourself some time and effort and spend about $80 for a Brunton Eclipse Surveyor's Compass ... it will do everything you want to do including declination and inclination all in a single handed operation.

Mike F

Thanks , Mike............"Surveyor's compass",thats' what I'm looking for I spotted a few transits and "builder's levels on Craig's list, but I think I would have to orient the bottom vernier azimuth measure using a compass, MIght as well get a dedicated surveyor compass. ..

Do you happen to know if my hunch( that bearings are all true- and not magnetic headings)?

A good lensatic compass, great ol'USGS maps(newest one available,but forest service maps much more accurate) a good set of calipers,magnifying glass and good to go. I meet/beat any GPS ever made on sooo many occasions GeoCasching-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

TOns a Au2U2, JOhn... that's the way I'm leaning, found the Brunton mentioned online, and many others- some quite expensive.

It seems to me that some of the "pocket transits" listed , are nothing more than very finely calibrated , hardened and precise surveyor compass'. I guess it would be nice to have a compass that will outlast ten lifetimes of dropping and still be accurate but I really don't need to part with 300$ minimum. THe BRunton's are in the 50-80$ price range.

Heck, just a regular orienteering compass would do the job, but I would like to be more able to precisely target the correct bearings needed to identify the property lines.

I think I will keep shaking the Cragzlist for surveyor stuff.

from the pins at the four corner markers..

Bronze/brass corner markers are designate on FS/BLM maps by a cross and are always found on the ground to orientate from. Most amazing sight I've ever seen is a 7,000+ pinacle in the trinity Alps that has a pin at the tippy top of a 100% impossible pinnacle to climb, Put there by chopper and is how I got to see and took a pic of it and lots more of a righteous ride looking at mining properties-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

It's a shame a lot of benchmarks are disappearing- stolen for the brass, bronze..

I think I am leaning towards a sighting compass/inclinometer , as that wil help me get a rough layout for contouring,

I am also tempted to understand the workings of GPS units. NOt buy one, but just get a grasp on what these units can do.

I would think, if it could store 4 points in memory, it could lead me on a proper bearing across the property to the opposing pin..

I also should test my existing tripod. I believe it is all aluminum- don't neeed iron around a compass.

A transit can rent for $25 a day.

I'd lone you mine if you were close.

But if I broke it I'd have to buy it :tisk-tisk: ANd Ido breakstuff.. Do all transits have a built in compass?

I need to do that on my 5 acres here soon.

Selling my MUDDER in Law half.

I have the Plat and description but there is no Pins.

I have to use the Pins on the Road.

ANd Iguess you have to use measurements listed in the description to measure from the road pins in such and such a direction to find an existing corner?

YES, all official survey bearings are true North as magnetic North changes from time to time and place to place.

Thank for the confirmation, Mr DOrado.

I'm now working on getting a DAvid White LT6 900 Transit and tripod for a Benjamin.

By utilizing a veneer caliper you can easily approzimate from a BLM/USGS/FS map crosses the exact footages and go from there-works for me,thanx YMCA in the 50's for the map classes and Palos Verde Gem/mineral too-tons a au 2 u2 -John

John ... You are definitely old school ... my dad, a former Marine Drill Instructor and Range Master ... taught that to me at a very early age too. I still like to use my GPS in the field but when working directly with a map and compass the calipers come out too!

Mike F

:thumbsupanim old school works for this ol'dog as trying to find non existant satellite signals in the middle of the dense forest is a waste a time,simply plot and go for my dough,ain't failed yet so why question success??? Tried a few GPS and just not my cuppa tea for me--to each dog his own bone I always say-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :D

John

Sometimes I am surprised that you even use a computer! :hahaha:

:thumbsupanim old school works for this ol'dog ...Tried a few GPS ...

:brows: YOu mean Jeepyes?

TAlked up a worker at a DIck's Sporting GOods store- sales guy stated the cheap golfing models will keep you on path within a yard.. I supose that would be the SPEC OPS RAnger GOlf model.

From what I hear, there are different levels of precision encoded?

---general public gets to rec'v the dumbed down signal( within 100 ' or so )and the Black budget guys can read the encryption signal that triangulates down to a foot or less.

SOund about right?

Still searching.....

Hillbille ... My Garmin GPS60map CSX which is about 5 years old now gets me down to about 12-13 feet on a regular basis. New version of same is the GPS62map. Only real difference I can see is that the 62 has internet access ... additional service cost of course I assume.

Hoser John ... with this model (GPS map60CSX) I have very little trouble under a canopy of trees. I used it for years hunting in the deep Hemlock and Spruce forests of Northwestern Maine(aka North Maine Woods) with very few instances of lost satelite signal notices. All of my etrex models previous to the map60 I had many lost signal notices.

Mike F

Not really, base models do not have WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) http://www8.garmin.com/aboutGPS/waas.html

:brows: YOu mean Jeepyes?

TAlked up a worker at a DIck's Sporting GOods store- sales guy stated the cheap golfing models will keep you on path within a yard.. I supose that would be the SPEC OPS RAnger GOlf model.

From what I hear, there are different levels of precision encoded?

---general public gets to rec'v the dumbed down signal( within 100 ' or so )and the Black budget guys can read the encryption signal that triangulates down to a foot or less.

SOund about right?

Still searching.....

Not really, base models do not have WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) http://www8.garmin.c...utGPS/waas.html

Most of the better models incorporate this feature and it adds considerable accuracy to the consumer GPS. Down to 3 yards in some cases. I remember setting some corner posts with a bunch of WSPA guys out in Rye Patch. Anyway three of us headed out with our own gps's for the same corner. Two of us ended up face to face on the same spot and the third was about 15-20 feet from us. All the GPS's we were using were different brands but the one further from the other two was not WASS enabled.

One of the features that makes many military GPS systems even more accurate is their ability to see over the horizon and add many more points of reference.

OK,so it's the accuracy of the handheld receiver and the WAAS "app". ...

Gives new meaning to the term," wassu(a)pppppp". Instead of a greeting for homies,it's a question regarding GPS being fully functional.

I found a great deal on a BRunton Eclipse with the built-in bubble for about 48$( looks like the Pro model) shipped to my door. Seems like these went for$95 and up elsewhere.

VEndor's an outfit CAlled Sierra Trading Post.

NOw, I just need to pull the steel fasteners out of my aluminum laser tripod( exchange for brass) and I will be set