Nugget Shooter Forums

Some thoughts about gold in magnetite

jim mcculloch

Studmuffin's pics of the gold in ironstone (magnetite?) recall to mind the legendary mine of Jed Van Dusen in the So. Cal. Big Bear area. Personally I've detected several pieces of gold in magnetite in Van Dusen Canyon. Since no one has ever found Jed's "mine," and since Jed was a blacksmith, personally I am of the opinion that Jed learned of the gold in iron issue and processed as much auriferous black sand that he could obtain. This would explain why no "mine" was ever found after Jed's demise. Whadya think gang?

Muf, my knowledge is limited. I know of two gold-in-magnetite locations near where I live. First, the Big Bear area, as mentioned, about 15 miles west of my house, as the crow flies, and another spot about 6 miles north of my bouse, thus about 20 miles northeast of the first. No, those two locales are not on the same mountain range. In both cases the AU is very thin and leaf-like, lots of surfase area, but little weight. A third area I know has AU, galena, pyrite and magnetite all in the same quartz/granite ore, but the AU is not leaf-like. What are your thoughts? HH Jim

Interestingly (to me) at site #2 detecting or drywashing does produce small flakes of leaf or foil gold, but nothing thicker. Obviously the AU weathered out of the magnetite. The AU does not seem to originate in anything other than magnetite, i.e. no AU has been found there in quartz matrix. This kind of thing has always made me open-minded regarding gold depositation. I reckon the old saying is true: Gold IS where you find it. HH Jim

Guest goldstudmuffin

Thanks Jim,

I've been told about some hardrock gold in the hills just north of Bouse that you can see the gold with the naked eye but a goldbug won't detect it.

I have seen a 3.5 ounce speci of a 50/50 mix of iron-stone and gold from west-central Az. Gold in general is associated with a matrix of rock such as quartz or ironstone or both.... there obviously isn't always iron-stone but there's should be iron in some form or another whether it be coarse blacksand or granite or some other rock spotted or streak with iron or stained with iron. I'm not a geologist... but what's funny is most geologist don't have two nuggets to rub togeather. I know of some very good nugget patches that have only one kind/color of rock there... granite spotted with iron.

There's a couple spots out in the LSD area that have the magnetite on thin gold flakes ... One, up higher in the mountains, is very rugged and the gold appears to have a higher than normal silver percentage, for the LSD area ... I've found a few of those over the past dozen or so years, and, while all nuggets are a blessing, those from that area require such prospecting effort that they almost are not worth it... Cheers, Unc