Nugget Shooter Forums

Wee oo! Now the proud owner of a 3500 and 5 coils!

GlennM

So, now that I've moved in to PI land, any tips and tricks?

Here is what I got from a local...

GPX 3500 w/ all stock MineLab equipment 11" DD and original box service tested. Great condition and a must with all the extras

EXTRAS

1 – 16" Round NFSL Adv. Mono w/ lower shaft

1 – 14" Elliptical NFSL Adv. Mono w/ lower shaft

1 – 14" Round NFRXP DD w/ lower shaft - Works great for areas with power line interference.

1 – 10" Elliptical NF-DD w/ lower shaft

1 – DETacc Amp/Speaker System

1- AZO Camo Controller Cover w/ arm rest

1 – AZO Camo Outpack III

1 – ML HIP PAK GXP4000/4500 style

1 – AZO COP light weight 6.8V Lithium Battery for GPX w/ car charger

1 – AZO Nugget Hunting Essentials 3 DVD bundle Chris Gholson

1 – Outback Prospecting 3 DVD Bundle Jonathan Porter

1 – Hystware Mines and Minerals V1.0 USA Software Database

I'm coming from a GMT, so I get to relearn everything but reading the ground. The previous owner swore by the 14" elliptical and has the settings on it for that (having pulled out as small as .8g nugglets with that.

One of the coils has a switch on it for something. Not entirely sure what. Says XP and S. I believe that is the 14" Nugget Finder XRP.

Gonna be watching vids for a bit, I'm sure. :happy dance:

Glenn welcome to the porch for the "big dogs"....in the future the only rock crawling your going to be doing is when

your going to nugget patches that nobody else can get to....

Like Macgump said listen to the JP video and you can't go wrong.....for general hunting you can't beat the NF 16"

mono....the coil with the switch is a Anti Interference coil....use it under power lines or close to cities where your

getting a lot of interference....just a few days ago somebody in the classified's was wanting to buy one...

When you get a signal before you dig any go through several different switch settings to see if you get a better

response...if so then hunt in that mode....

If you hunt a scraped old patch or new one use the NF 10" DD or Minelab 11" DD....coil on the ground and go

slow....when you see buzzards circling overhead your going just the right speed.....

Most of my hunting is with my 4000 but now and then I go back to my 3500....with both machines I have dug out

nuggets in the .3-.5 gram range....

Good luck and have fun :thumbsupanim

Thanks guys! It was a good deal on a complete package, in my opinion. :) I know Frank C was eyeing the coils a few months ago. So I know who to go to if I need some quick cash LOL.

There were a few other items he threw in because he wouldn't need them, but I've only inventoried the larger items.

I'll certainly be watching the DVDs on repeat until I have it down.

Frank was telling me to use the smallest coil and get used to that, first. I'm rationalizing that the nuggets it could see are likely already in someone's poke, especially if they're running a 4500-5000. Am I over thinking it?

Don't ever think someone else got all the nuggets....some folks are not good detectorest....they go to fast...

don't know their machines....use the wrong coil for the job....and some even think they know more than

their machine and don't dig all the signals....I never ever use the discriminator on a gold detector....you

already have the best discriminators made....YOUR EYES!!!

Listen to Frank and let him dig the China holes while you dig the little nuggets that other people have missed.....

You're always good for a lesson and a chuckle, Don. Thanks :)

By the way, it was SGT Frank that told me about the smaller coil thing. Frank C uses a different coil most of the time.

You can't go wrong by starting with reading the owner's manual, at least three times...I know that is not the Manly Thing to do...but there is vital information contained therein...also, start with the standard stock coil...but, if you are impatient to join the big doggies, use the 14 inch-e and dig everything...

Jp's video is also a very fine learning tool...

fred

Now this is my chance to compare my sd2000gpm on targets to Glens 3500. I told Glenn to start with a small coil to learn the unit and then work up to larger coils. Nothing worse that hitting a trash filled area with a big coil on a new type detector. I go from 6" to 25" depending on what I'm seeking. Look at it this way Glenn. Would you rather me learn off road driving in my truck or your racing vehicle? Those finding nuggets with large coils been at it for a while and know both the coil and detector.

WTG Glenn and you will be amazed at the difference your new GPX will offer over your previous detector! Watch Chris G's videos then watch them again and you will be well on your way to mastering your new beast of a detector. Good advise from fellers above as well and did I see NV Chris say something about the switch on the DD oh yes it was NEVER USE SWITCH WHILE DETECTOR IS ON!!!!

Good luck out there!

Glenn don't listen to Frank....he's pulling a fast one on ya....you'll be picking up pieces of dozer blade or boot tacks that won't

even register on a scale while he getting the whoppers......or you can beep behind him and get the little ones that his big

coil won't even see....that way you can play the player!!!!

Thanks, guys. Wife just went to bed so I'm popping in the videos now.

I also gotta get that Hystware loaded on the computer and figure it out :) the package has never even been opened!

I got it on the XRP coil... Switch between S and XP repeatedly and ONLY when the unit is running. ;)

Glad you guys told me or I would surely have screwed something up!

Hey Glenn ... Congrats on that great set-up ... you now have all you need except experience behind the coil. The manual, videos and all the other suggestions are great. One last item I have found when starting out with a new detector ... a pencil and pocket sized notebook. I have a page for each situation and location I have been in ... what worked and what didn't. Believe me that will increase the rate of your learning curve and will especially help you if you get into a new area and are not really sure what settings may work best for you or at least give you a starting point for the area. Someone mentioned the little side notes in the manual ... priceless info! Also after going through the manual a couple times and after a couple sessions behind the coil go through the manual again with a highlighter ... highlight those areas that are important to you. I have downloaded a copy of all the manuals of the machines I have used over the last few models GP3000, GPX4500, GPX5000 and put them into a 3 ring binder notebook that I keep in the truck. I don't use it so much now as I have had my GPX5000 for a couple years but when I first started out with it I referred to it about every trip for the first 15 or 20. I have scribbled notes all over the pages in the appropriate areas based on my experiences. It is a great learning tool especially for those of us with a little age between the ears and a case of CRS (Can't Remember Stuff!) And you thought that meant something else ... Family forum remember! :)

Hope this helps you. If you get up in the Bradshaws give me a call the day before and maybe we can do a hunt together.

Mike F

1ST THING IS , GLENN BIG CONGRATS !!!!

2ND THING IS AAWW FFOOEEYYY ON ALL THESE GUYS TELLIN YA WHAT TODO.

STICK THE BIGGEST COIL YA GOT ON THAT SUCKER AN LET IT ROLL !!! 3RD DIG EVERYTHING , EVEN IF YA PAST A RICKSHAW SHOP ON THE WAY KEEP DIGGIN.

GOOD LUCK AN HAPPY HUNTN.

OH AN BY THE WAY, I WAS WAIST DEEP IN A HOLE YESTERDAY TOOK 3 OF US TO DIG IT AN THE REWARD WAS A 1930'S SARDINE CAN !!!!!!!!!!

OH WELL THEY CAN'T ALL BE VAMPIRE NUGGETS !!!!