Nugget Shooter Forums

Wanted: help GPX 5000 in GB

I bought a GPX 5000 two days ago and would like some help with the settings in Gold Basin. This is not the first PI I have owned, but the differance between my Extreme and GP 3000 compaired to the GPX 5000 has my brain boggled. I will be in Gold Basin/Meadview area the afternoon of 2-22 thru 2-24. I live in the Kingman area so I spend quite a bit of time in the basin area. I work a 48hr. shift and then have the next 4 days off so if the dates above don't work maybe another time would. :tisk-tisk: Any help I can get can't hurt at this point.

Did you buy it new or used? If new I hope from a dealer who offers training--- if used it is worth the money to pay for training. I'm finding out a 4500 is very different from a 4000. If I had someone to learn me I would pay for it to smooth the curve.

Did you buy it new or used? If new I hope from a dealer who offers training--- if used it is worth the money to pay for training. I'm finding out a 4500 is very different from a 4000. If I had someone to learn me I would pay for it to smooth the curve.

I bought it used but it does work just fine. I went to one of my old spots and fiddled with the settings before returning them to the original ones. I did find one .07 Gram peice about one and a half inches deep.

To start the 5000 is a very different detector from the earlier models so trying to use similar settings can cause some confusion. If new to the detector I would start in factory pre-set and adjust as needed to keep a stable smooth running threshold. The 5000 is not as hard to run as one may think and you should catch on pretty quickly.

I give free instruction for folks on these detectors, but you will need to come to one of my sessions I do monthly. There are also folks out there charging for lessons, but again you will likely need to come to them.

There is no one set of magical settings on this detector that will work in every area you visit and that is the beauty of the 5000 it is fully customizable for each area you hunt and different coil you use. The factory pre-sets are again the best starting point and Gold Basin has fairly moderate soil to work so you can run the gain quite a bit higher than in many other areas. Try starting in the General mode and normal settings and hunt and as you learn the detector start experimenting with adjustments especially if over a faint target to see it you can increase the response by changing them.

Tone is also very important on this (and all) PI detectors and should be set for your specific hearing and once dialed in will give you an advantage.

There is just too much to say in a forum post and getting some hands on help would be a good idea, but being familiar with earlier Minelab PI detectors will really help. A big difference with the GPX 5000 is you should never have to settle for a wavering threshold and with just a few adjustments it will run absolutely stable.

We also have a fine gold timing now in the special settings that will really amaze you once you get used to your detector and begin exploring your options.

Did you buy new? If so why no instruction?

I am going to be at the outing the weekend of March 18th and can go over the detector with you if you come.

Bill

Thank you very much. I will keep using it and come to the outing. Frank C. and I go out together alot so I will see if he wants to come with.

Sounds good and I'll get ya dialed in... I am betting that by then you will have it figured out pretty well though and as I said of all the GPX series the 5000 is easiest to master and has the best factory pre-sets already ready to go for you.

Hey Bill, this is my A-1 original Arizona hunting buddy, and he is a Master at finding ALL sizes/depths of gold with his original GP Extreme.

I am sure as soon as he gains a few hours experience and has a 1 on 1 with you with the 5000 He'll be talking me into 1.

Thanks Bill we'll be seein ya in QZ.

Fred

Thanks for the info, I will see if I can chase up that DVD today. I knew that if I went on this forum i would get some invaluable info. Thanks for the feed back and looking forward to meeting everyone that shows up in QZ.

Scott