Nugget Shooter Forums

El Dorado County ..... Here we come, now where to go?

Hi Everyone! First weekend in March, for my Birthday, we are heading to El Dorado County for our second year of gold panning...but this year, with our metal detectors in hand (MXT Pro & Coinmaster Pro)! I am so excited I can hardly contain myself!

For the last couple of weeks I have been doing research on trails, old mines, topography maps etc and I have been seeing some pretty interesting places. I've been trying to plot routes but am finding myself questioning the safety of it all.... We are new, and unfamiliar with this area and it is full of abandoned mines and public land. After all of it, where do we go?

On our way to the campground we will be heading to Volcano, CA to see Mt. Zion, Black Chasm, Indian Grinding Rock, and anywhere else we might find along the way.

The next day probably spend alot of time in Auburn and check out the Middle Fork of the American River. We will be staying in Coloma on the South Fork, but can go anywhere.

Alot of the research I am doing is leading me in the direction of dried of creek beds, and I have found maps with them listed. Would we have better luck than on the river? I have a couple of concerns and I am really hoping you guys can share some of your wisdom, advice or maybe even a little insite on the area.

1. Where to go??

2. Closed Roads

3. Private Roads/Land

4. Toxic Substances... i.e. Arsenic, Mercury, etc....

Meadowbrook Rd. off of 193 where it crosses Bear Creek is a nice spot. Gem stones were found there. Further up past Bear Creek Campground is USFS land and some areas to look at. If you don't have minecache.com loaded in your Google Earth, do so.

Cronan Ranch Conservancy has some public grounds along the South Fork, just out of Coloma. David Moore area as well which is just north of Coloma on 49. Greenwood Creek put in is the best access to the river.

Standard metal detecting restrictions on these properties, mineral samples ok, historic artifacts not ok. Leave the square nails behind. Fill your holes please.

As you mentioned, a lot of private land around up here and I have never seen so many "No Trespassing" signs as there are on fences now.

Hi Kinney. Several years ago I was up in that neck of the woods and, like you, had studied maps and done quite a bit of research. In my case, based on the maps I had, I had picked several places to go and camp. I was driving a 35' motor home and towing a Samurai. The plan was to go to one of my chosen camp sites with the RV and then do some further scouting with the Samurai. My trip turned into a nightmare. Forest service roads that were on my maps had been closed. I ran into a bunch of iron gates that the Forest Service had recently put up. Other roads leading to BLM land had gates and No Trespassing signs on them. My Samurai developed an engine problem and I had no way to go out and find a suitable camp spot. I ended up spending about $600 in a KOA while I figured out what to do about the Samurai. I finally got that fixed -- with some help from our fellow forum member El Dorado and another friend -- and finally found a spot out to camp out by Georgetown. By then it was so hot and I was so tired of dealing with dead ends that I drove over to Nevada.

Bill's suggestion about local clubs is a very good one.

*BTW, there is a new section on this forum called Miner's Rights and Land Use. This is an important issue that needs attention from everyone interested in prospecting and access to public lands.

Meadowbrook Rd. off of 193 where it crosses Bear Creek is a nice spot. Gem stones were found there. Further up past Bear Creek Campground is USFS land and some areas to look at. If you don't have minecache.com loaded in your Google Earth, do so.

Cronan Ranch Conservancy has some public grounds along the South Fork, just out of Coloma. David Moore area as well which is just north of Coloma on 49. Greenwood Creek put in is the best access to the river.

Standard metal detecting restrictions on these properties, mineral samples ok, historic artifacts not ok. Leave the square nails behind. Fill your holes please.

As you mentioned, a lot of private land around up here and I have never seen so many "No Trespassing" signs as there are on fences now.

Thank you for all of the information! I really appreciate all of your time. I will check those places in a few and start my researching! Cronan Ranch is very beautiful.

One of the best moves you could make starting out in this madness....er...I mean hobby would be to look into some of the local clubs to have clai access, then lear, study, learn some more and have fun douing it....

Hi Kinney. Several years ago I was up in that neck of the woods and, like you, had studied maps and done quite a bit of research. In my case, based on the maps I had, I had picked several places to go and camp. I was driving a 35' motor home and towing a Samurai. The plan was to go to one of my chosen camp sites with the RV and then do some further scouting with the Samurai. My trip turned into a nightmare. Forest service roads that were on my maps had been closed. I ran into a bunch of iron gates that the Forest Service had recently put up. Other roads leading to BLM land had gates and No Trespassing signs on them. My Samurai developed an engine problem and I had no way to go out and find a suitable camp spot. I ended up spending about $600 in a KOA while I figured out what to do about the Samurai. I finally got that fixed -- with some help from our fellow forum member El Dorado and another friend -- and finally found a spot out to camp out by Georgetown. By then it was so hot and I was so tired of dealing with dead ends that I drove over to Nevada.

Bill's suggestion about local clubs is a very good one.

*BTW, there is a new section on this forum called Miner's Rights and Land Use. This is an important issue that needs attention from everyone interested in prospecting and access to public lands.

(I just learned how to multi-quote, sorry it's taking me a minute to catch on ... )

Leaning towards the madness side, but loving it. We have a Prospecting Club that meets once a month and we went to the meeting last night! Really informative, great people, and the camaraderie amongst everyone is amazing! We have a couple of outings scheduled and will be going metal detecting this weekend with one of the guys. Someone else was going up to Bear River (?) in the next few days and put out an open invitation to everyone that may want to join him. They also needed a volunteer for drink/name tag duty and I wanted to help but I figured I'd better complete my application before volunteering just yet. =) It was our first meeting but not the last!

Thank you, Dakota Slim for your story, I couldn't help but picture myself in that exact perdiciment, but instead of a 35' Trailer and Samarui in tow, a 2002 Honda Civic filled to brim with as much as a Honda Civic can hold. I appreciate your words of wisdom and may have to scrap those plans and start again.

We learned about the PLP last night and donated money and bought raffle tickets. One of the guys we met last year and got our Metal Detectors from this year, is helping the PLP and rallying the troops here in Sonoma County. I volunteered to help with computer stuff if he needed, but we didn't get a chance to finish our convo...he had alot of guys wanting those raffle tickets and the break was short! The meeting got us excited about doing something and maybe making a difference!

Volcano is right next to the Auburn rec area-Cherokee Bar or Drivers Flats is within a few miles and decent gold. Spanish Dry diggns' rode to cherokee and off the divive outta auburn is drivers flats road. Go south or north of both camps and gold abounds in the flakey breakey shale bedrocks,plenty of cracks and crevices to get ya many hours a fun BUT this is winter and not the time a year for mining in snow country,very low this year but anything can/will happen on the divide-tons a au 2 u 2 -John PS-El Dorado here is the man to see for info as feets on the ground is the best and good man too!! :thumbsupanim

Volcano is right next to the Auburn rec area-Cherokee Bar or Drivers Flats is within a few miles and decent gold. Spanish Dry diggns' rode to cherokee and off the divive outta auburn is drivers flats road. Go south or north of both camps and gold abounds in the flakey breakey shale bedrocks,plenty of cracks and crevices to get ya many hours a fun BUT this is winter and not the time a year for mining in snow country,very low this year but anything can/will happen on the divide-tons a au 2 u 2 -John PS-El Dorado here is the man to see for info as feets on the ground is the best and good man too!! :thumbsupanim

As soon as I saw the "BUT" .,,,I knew....

I was just talking to a couple of friends who got stuck up there 2 years ago..... and then read about a couple coming back from Uncle Tom's.

When we went to El Dorado last year seemed low.

I am determined.... but don't want it to get the best of me. Reality is hitting and winter Birthdays aren't made for gold finding. :cry2:

I think I may have emailed El Dorado a couple of days ago, he makes beautiful jewelry, if I remember correctly.(?) I was just getting familiar with the sites online and shot him an email. I think it was a little premature, but I figured what would it hurt?

• 3 weeks later...

Snow is/was just above Georgetown on the Georgetown Divide. Don't know about the Foresthill Divide.

Hoser gave you some good info. No snow here this winter.... hope that changes real soon!

We're back! Great trip, I am sore and exhausted but ready to go back! 3 days were not enough.... Just not enough hours in the day..... Didn't make it up to Auburn, pretty bummed about that, that was part of the original plan, but we did get a chance to drive around El Dorado and Amador County a little.

No Snow, the weather was gorgeous, in the 60's - 70's during the day. The river was pretty low most mornings and we were in the middle of it when we could. Didn't bring the metal detector out in the middle of the river, I wish we would have. We ended up setting up the sluice at the cabin, because the water flow seemed to be ever changing. But I don't know if the water flow was right at the cabin either....

:grr01: tiny bit in the hills means one LL of a miserable year-John :th:

What we did find ....Tiny Bits of Mica = :grr01: I wish we were finding Tiny Bits of = :thumbsupanim

Ya still sound jazzed and had a good time and that is what it is all about, yeah the gold is good, but time with friends or family are priceless. Much of the learning process is just getting out and doing it and you are well on your way and thanks for letting us join you!

Ya still sound jazzed and had a good time and that is what it is all about, yeah the gold is good, but time with friends or family are priceless. Much of the learning process is just getting out and doing it and you are well on your way and thanks for letting us join you!

Thank you Bill!

Yes, we are still jazzed, even when covered from head to toe with poison oak! I love working hard and being outside. I have a lot to learn but all of the time in the world to do it in, can't give up that easily! Rome wasn't built in a day. :old: Thank you for letting us join you and giving us a place to talk about our adventures together!

Thanks for all your info Geo, we didn't make it to Cronan Ranch, but did stumble accross David Moore close to our campground. Absolutley beautiful!