Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GeoJack

Pocket Gold outcropping

A lot of commercials but make sure you watch the end. AzNuggetbob

I keep dreaming about a pocket like this. It's out there some place.

post-21985-0-07280500-1397234835_thumb.j

Me too

Wow homefire that is one awesome looking vein. That rock hammer really puts it in perspective. Do you have any idea of approximate location? looks like Nevada gold to me. AzNuggetBob

Very nice read LipCa! Thank's!

Heres a good example of a real pockety vein I worked it started as one and I ended up working over 100 foot of the vein, it had multiple small pockets were the values are located directly on the contact. the vein was about 6 in wide at widest point but only a thin edge next to the contact was paying it would change from one side to next and pinch to nothing in just a few feet, drove me crazy lots of testing every day.

heres a few pics really can see the sructure of the vein and the well defined contact this made it easy to follow, notice the curve the best stuff was right at that point. if you guys would like to see more hardrock pocket shots, I will go through my pics get some better ones that give you a good idea what they can look like.

post-27224-0-83268800-1400266798_thumb.j

post-27224-0-80224800-1400265919_thumb.jpost-27224-0-83209100-1400266397_thumb.j.

post-27224-0-55536600-1400266261_thumb.j

Tramp,

Do you have larger shots?

Also, "contact" what are you referring to here?

Did you only work horizontally on the vein?

Yes, more pictures please.

Also, location? Not coordinates but what district are we looking at?

Rick

contact: I believe refers to where "country" rock and vein( intrusive event) touch

Tramp,

Do you have larger shots?

Also, "contact" what are you referring to here?

Did you only work horizontally on the vein?

Yes, more pictures please.

Also, location? Not coordinates but what district are we looking at?

Rick

Don't know how to get bigger pics not real good with computer, The contact is where the country rock and vien contact, it has something to do with wall rock and the vein as its cooling? but in my district Dale mining district Calif,i find a lot of my values will be on or near the contact with the country rock, for some reason the juuces get a little hotter in this part of the zone.

not all the veins are like this, but I would assume its that way in most areas ? you see this when you run across the cobb piles they look really juicy and you would think they were loaded but when you sample you find no values, what this was is they just took the payzone on the contact.

in the old days we would find a decent amount of crumbs this way bleepin old trenchings and the better looking pocket zones of the oldtimer digs, they would be on the pay side of the contact hangin on the wall rock.

In our area the pockets run very shallow, I concentrate on finding the very small ones sometimes only a few pieces of ore, I will chase that stuff just as far and as deep as I can, so yes I work both ways if it has values.

those veins that pay the full length are rare but man when you get into it PANS O FIRE!!!!!

more pics soon.

Heres some hardrock fines from today

post-27224-0-00238200-1400279586_thumb.j

I'm on a mesothermal vein system and am trying to determine which side of the quartz vein to search.

GT...... looking good. Are you making bars from your gold?

I have never been to school to be educated in geology, every thing I learned was from digging n chasing veins and studing what the old timers did, don't mean to step on anyones toes here, and all my knowledge is just my opinion from my observations in digging veins.

Geo, sample that sucker,thats going to be the only way to tell, if its nots paying on the surface it most likely not paying.

Eldorado, i would pour a ingot but that's for the guys finding the big stuff im just a small time pocket miner we don't find very much anymore an it will be played out for us within the next 2 years, we hope to find something we can work but the vein systems out here have been heavily worked over not saying theres nothing just the feasible workings are done.

GT..........

GT, yeah we're getting color in the piles, that is why I mucked out the digging and am down about 14' in an eight foot round hole and looking at the vein system with quartz stringer running right down the middle.

post-25522-0-78660800-1400422546_thumb.j

Strike is due north with a 49° dip to the east. Can't figure out if the small quartz stringers are the primary injection of quartz with the larger quartz coming in later or not. How can you tell?

I'll get some better pics today.

I've sampled, nada so far. That is where I am perplexed. Should the color show on the head wall or foot wall of the quartz vein? Tailing pile has kicked out some nice AU. I am now looking at the specimens and attempting to see where it may have came from based on the look of the quartz still attached. Original miner didn't dig very much for what was gotten out.

Got a video I need to upload so I can post it. Please stand by.post-25522-0-75679100-1400596593_thumb.j

Sampled today, lots of pyrite. How do you check pyrite for AU? Can it be done chemically or crush and pan?

Sampled today, lots of pyrite. How do you check pyrite for AU? Can it be done chemically or crush and pan?

Maybe the oldtimer thinks the same way as I do when I see pyrite in my digs, it usally means no more gold.

they didn't have detectors to hit that crystalline stuff hiding in the mix I would bleep it good sample a few more spots if no gold headout, sometimes we tend to find a few good lookin crumbs and end up wasting valuable prospecting time searching because we get all jacked up from the good pieces.

sometimes all thats there was a few pieces of rich surface ore, pocket may only have been a few grams I find many like this, sometimes all I will find is a hand full of vein material because that's all there was, just a bleb on a stringer or vein. then again it could be pockety ?

I use certain indicators down here, if I have no hematite or like minerals I really don't give much more attention to them other than maybe wave the wand over it a couple times most time I walk.

If I see vuggy dark colored quartz I double chk with eye glass and sample with pan.

any type copper colors should always check, that copper likes to bring the gold with it, most times I hit a pocket I run across a zone of copper minerals with ?

Always pay good attention to the float as it was the surface stuff and can tell you a lot, save you much digging for nothing, usally if it don't pay on the surface it wont pay at depth.

Hope this helps a little.

Gt..............

Gold tramp

it sounds like the area your digging into is a transitioning ore body into a higher sulfide area,generaly speaking not good for nugget gold if the sulfides get to high.
But you can also keep in mind there are always acceptions to the rule. (Virginia) always seems there is somewere. I see more iron than sulfides in your photo's and thats a good thing.
I suspect your chasing surface pockets, common here in Az.
Sometimes the throw out piles can be more valuable the depleted veins left by the old timers as they visuly high graded them,
unless you can find a pocket they missed.these pockets can be completly eroded out into a small patch or in the proccess of eroding out or even still just under the surface.
Id swing the whole area around were your chasing the veins, old digs or stringers and concentrate on large,wide,smooth deep signals.
may sound almost like ground balance issues (in fixed not auto tune)over a wide area.(several feet) Good luck, nice looking gold species. AzNuggetBob

I don't do much bleeping anymore Bob, kinda leave that for the guys of today I had my bleeper haydays way back. that doesn't mean I don't do it, I will skirt the edges, but ive been bitten by the hard rock bug and theres nothing else that will scratch that itch for me.

Except getting down n dirty with my hammer n chisel, I do only hand work no power tools any more, mill my own ore n refine myself.

The sulfide veins I try to seek out are the ones paying in silver also, after I get a sizable pile of sulfide ore im going to attempt the whole leaching process, right now im working on my pachuka system, got my tank n stand built.

I do use the old drywasher to prospect when im on a hardrock zone as it finds fine gold where the metal detector just wont work , unless I hit that indicator nugg !!

GT.....................

The piles have been high grade stuff.post-25522-0-67336700-1400681303_thumb.j

Have also contacted and extracted AU from a vug in the vein.

post-25522-0-60794600-1400681346_thumb.jpost-25522-0-89526800-1400681357_thumb.j

Large rock is 2.5 lbs.

Approximately 170 feet of vein I am looking at now, two original tailing piles approximately 60 feet apart, both produced color in the piles. Both digs only went down about 8' in a hole 8' x 8'. Both have been mucked out by hand and the material scanned with the GB 2.

What is weird is no trash, just some boot tacks and blasting cap remnants. I did find a 1/2" section of burnt fuse. Fell apart in my hand before I could attempt to save it.

Finally a day off to catch up . one pot of coffee gone, what an awesome thread

Need to mention the Gossans and using them to zero in on a potential for mineralizations with values, I know you all are mostly detectorist, do you use these stainings to chase pockets ?

i didnt see any mention of these in this thread and it should be at least discussed a little as ways to locate good pocket grounds to dig.

GT...........