Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GeoJack

Pocket Gold outcropping

So, I live on the Motherload and we have miles of land with small holes where pocket quartz/gold was found. I have been working the tailing piles of these digs with success but wondered if someone, somewhere there is geological information on these structures to study.

For instance, I have read that these pockets can come in groups, stacked vertically. Ones I have seen are multiple locations near one another on the surface.

Would love to hear from someone that they went below the original dig and found second and third pockets lower down.

I haven't found any pocket gold so I can't contribute with personal knowledge, but this is a good read if you haven't read it.

http://www.goldgold....g-for-gold.html

This blog has some nice info on gold found in the Motherload and mentions "pocket gold" and some of the geology/rock types where they where found, all of this info is an excerpt from a new book by Geologist Dan Hausel "Gold-Geology, Prospecting & Exploration" which was scheduled to be released in 2010, I'm not sure if the book has been released.

http://californiango...rospecting.html

Skip

A good read Skip....thanks for posting it...

Thanks Skip, I have that link on my site as well. Good read and get's me all excited. I was hoping for some drawings or other research material to review without actually digging.

Wow, that other site will take some time to read. Sent off an email to the author.

Thanks.

The ICMJ had an article about George Duffy back in 2004 I believe. He is another pocket hunter who has had a great deal of success in Northern Nevada. Used exactly the same method as shown in the link above. I would do a search on the ICMJ website for "duffy" and see which issues have articles on pocket mining. May be able to purchase those.

As far as the three pocket theory goes, Some people say it's bunk. Others say it can happen and have made some great recoveries. I don't have any first hand knowledge one way or another.

By the way. I worked with Preston Vickery in Northern Nevada on a placer claim back in the late 90's.

Steve

Great article, thanks for the post! :thumbsupanim

If the mountains here where I'm at were in CA. they would considered ridges....OK now for the trenches....

Several places here have trenches cut/dug out where some are only one to two feet deep dug out by the

slaves.....other are 30 or 40 feet deep and 50-100 feet long....

One of the areas had three trenches running parrell to each other and they were 30 feet deep....80 feet

long and the three trenches were about 50 feet apart.....so my thinking was since the slaves didn't have

gold detectors they probably left some gold.....I had already found a couple of pieces in the tails.....now the

next problem was the trenches had about four feet of leaves, limbs and in some places old fence post

thrown into them.....these cuts were only about three feet wide so there wouldn't be much wiggle room

when down in them with my detector.....the first problem was they were havens for all kinds of SNAKES...

so for all three trenches I bought nine quarts of alcohol.....poured three quarts into each trench and threw a

match in....BOOM....sounded like El D's. cannon....

Went back to town and had a 40' wood ladder made....that was one heavy ladder....two of us could just

barely carry it....waited for three days then went back to the trenches....took one of my long dredging ropes

and lower the ladder down in the first trench....took a hoe with a long wood handle and started raking back

the ashes....in each trench found at least a dozen curled up BBQ snakes....

I stood on the bottom rung of the ladder and beeped up to the top on the right side of the ladder and then

down the left side to the bottom....then turned around and beeped the wall behind me up to the top...then

got out and moved that heavy ladder over several feet and started the whole beeping over again...and again...

and again

I was thinking there had to be gold still in those walls....took about a week to beep all three trenches and not

even one little piece of gold....

Now I'm thinking maybe there is some in between the three trenches.....deeper than my detector will go....

Why three pockets of gold?..Why not 6 pockets or two more pockets?Is mother nature so set in her ways?Perhaps sometime in the past a fellow or two found three pockets on one vein and this was taken as a given that it happens on most occasions.A mine may have many pockets of varying sizes or one or none.Some ore shoots contain just fine gold,visable or not.Some short lived mines or prospects may have/had one good enrichment and that's it.The vast amounts of money spent on developement and equipment after the discovery of one good ore shoot in the California motherlode is well documented.Very few mines were profitable.There are pockets to be found for those who persist and are fortunate.Finding three at or near the surface on the same vein would be a rare occurance I'd say,but possible.Many fellows in Australia work the reefs(veins) with their detectors and find nice species,but go no further in their prospecting.They don't do soil samples for the many ounces of fine gold that must be around these reefs(veins) on occasion or sample three or four feet down which is beyond the reach of detectors.I've posed these questions on Aussie forums for years and finally a few well known fellows are getting ounces,where before they just cherry picked the obvious species.Where a gold bearing vein bends,curves,dips,enters another country rock,faults are likely spots for pockets and if one pocket is found on one of these spots on a gold bearing vein the prospector might expect to find an enrichment when a similar occurance happens on that vein...but not always and not in every mine or prospect.

A few years ago, someone wrote an article complete with drawings on the "three pocket theory" and that's how it got started. I can't remember who wrote it and whether it was for a magazine or book. Been so long ago...

Steve

Boy if I ever found just one little stringer showing gold on a hill, Id be all over that hill like White on Rice. LOL

I can't imagine there being just one stringer without a whole pile of others about.

post-21985-0-18435800-1329408521_thumb.j

The three pocket theory is based upon the premise that one separate, vertical stringer could produce three pockets. The first one would be on the surface then pinch out. The second pocket would form perhaps 10 ft beneath the first one then pinch out. The last pocket would be 30 to 40 ft deep. The deeper the pocket, the richer it becomes. It's one stringer with 3 pockets. That's the theory.. It's not like the illustration as shown above where there's three main stringers.

Steve

Didn't know Volcanic actions had rule books. LOL

Ok! I'd be happey with one stringer.

post-21985-0-38234800-1329411852_thumb.j

Well said Dave!

Jack,

Only one rule applies: To follow the deposit whithersoever it leads. These seams and pocket mines are so irregular and every one unique. You just got to prospect them out.

Thanks guys and thanks homefire for that image, just what I was looking for, that and further reading about the process.

I guess my back won't mind a bit more diggin. May need a hoe, backhoe that is. :D

Going to sleep at night, I keep having this recurring dream about a 4" seam like that one .

It's on the side a road that had cars going buy about every 5 minutes and I'm trying to figure a way to keep people from finding out about it until I can claim it on Forest Lands.

The Road is call Clinton, National High Way.

I guess my back won't mind a bit more diggin. May need a hoe, backhoe that is. :D

Good luck and keep us posted.

Steve

#1 rule is pocket can be nasty black crumbly garbage lookn' stuff till ya throw some bleach on it for a minute or so then golden. Got great gold in Mariposa and blasted deeper because all I found was iron oxides after finding great yellow gold pockets. Kept a few pinches in a pak of cigs(no mo') and went to the pizza joint in town in the middle of a massive rainstorm. Nobody there and just a old homeless guy polishing a steel pan with scotchbrite. Offered him a beer from my pitcher and started telln' him my tale of woe. He smiled as I handed him the iron garbege as he put it in the pan,reached into his backpac and pulled out a small bottle of bleach,poured some in and swirled--RIGHTEOUS GOLDEN FLASH IN SECONDS. Seems the last pocket WAS GOLD and not iron and I blew many MANY pounds all over a few 100 acres in XXXXXXX gulch--much smarter now-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

Hey All, Here is a book that is pretty informative about pockets and formations of pockets. It is about SW Oregon however I have found a lot of the info applies to the geology I have here in Redding, Ca. Most of my detecting is hillside placers that are being made by hillside pockets of which there are many in place, at least till I come along. Much of the same information would apply to many areas of the Sierra espcecially the lower areas near the valley floor in similar terrain to Redding. I am only at 500 feet in elevation. These pockets occur randomly but also with some steady patterns that I have found over the years. I can tell you that as far as I am concerned there is not enough information on pockets and pocket hunting .Most times when a pocket is mentioned most people are talking about a placer pocket, a crevice. I am talking about a vein structure that has surfaced and released gold at the surface or within two feet of the surface. I have gained much of my knowledge from many old timers of which many have passed over the years. The one bit that I will pass on is that wherever you are you need to really learn the geology for that particular area. I mean that you need to get your nose in the dirt and look at things. Many people are walking right on a surface pocket that is throwing fine gold and never know it. We all get caught up in wanting to find the big one while missing what is right in front of us.

I am lucky that the area I live at throws fine and coarse pockets. I have drywashed hillsides and the material washed was only the top four or so inches. This material was floating down the hillside but there was enough to pay well. This gold could not be seen most times with the naked eye until you had some accumulation but it was there and one ounce of fine gold still pays. The other type of pocket gold I get in this area is coarse nuggets. These coarse pockets are easier to locate due to detectors but the working areas are larger sometimes, but not always. Pockets will tend to run in lines, at a certain pitch and will also tend to dip in certain areas over and over along with throwing gold out at certains areas. There are patterns but it takes a lot to learn them and as mentioned earlier each area is different. So you have learn that local geology and keep your eyes open. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Thanks TA, just what I was looking for. Just got mine on order.

GJ those 3D animation videos are fantastic....thanks for posting

Copied from...http://www.goldgold.com/pocket-hunting-for-gold.html that was posted here on this thread.

Gold is just a quirk in the way nature works,” says Vickery. “All it is, is a big break in the earth’s surface. These cavities are usually cracks that develop into veins. Small veins sometimes pocket-out into kidneys. These fill up with solutions and sometimes gold is formed.”

These “kidneys” or “pockets” along the cracks in the earth are what Vickery looks for when he hunts for gold. He says that it is possible to predict the location of these pockets by visualizing the structure of cracks in which gold has a chance to form, or “make,” as Vickery says. These pockets of hardrock gold do not usually contain as much gold as the main vein that the old-timers mined, but 30 or so ounces of gold is nothing to sneeze at.

Then there was the other recent post on the this site (NSF) that had all the videos. I think that one of the 1st videos showed the kidneys coming off the lode. Several groups of them.

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=21547

But I wonder how Vickery could predict their locations. He must have ESP.