Nugget Shooter Forums

Good Trade, for me anyway.

Traded a well used but decent pistol a S&W .45 for a almost new Marlin 30-30 a week or so ago and boy am I happy with the trade.

Always have wanted a 30-30 and the Marlin was the one I wanted as well. I like the right side eject instead of at the top like a Winchester as it makes mounting a scope easier.

My daughter now has decided we need to get a Mule Deer this year so we don't have to mooch our venison from my brother in IL. Wonder how easy a tag is to get in AZ? Anyone else hunt mule deer here in AZ?

Not sure about AZ but Co its a pain in the butt!!!! My neighbor has not drawn a mulie tag in 6 YEARS :yikes:

Why dont you come up to AK this fall, I'll take you moose hunting :ph34r2:

That 30-30 is plenty big ....if you get close enough. Hope you got a big freezer tho, 5-600 lbs of meat takes up alot o' space :inocent:

Traded a well used but decent pistol a S&W .45 for a almost new Marlin 30-30 a week or so ago and boy am I happy with the trade.

Always have wanted a 30-30 and the Marlin was the one I wanted as well. I like the right side eject instead of at the top like a Winchester as it makes mounting a scope easier.

My daughter now has decided we need to get a Mule Deer this year so we don't have to mooch our venison from my brother in IL. Wonder how easy a tag is to get in AZ? Anyone else hunt mule deer here in AZ?

Hi Bill!

It's not hard to get a tag. Check out the AZ G&F website for all the details. Apply when it's time and wait! You have to know which area you want to hunt in and the tag will be for that area.

Jim

Bill-

If you don't have any luck in Arizona, try Missouri. About 300,000 taken last year I believe. Plenty of hunting area here.

Steve

Very true, but problem for us would be cost to fly back East, license, and shipping meat home... We could actually hunt my Dad's property in WI as well and it is like a duck shoot with deer all over. I have never hunted Mule Deer and know a couple areas near Morristown where there are some nice bucks I have seen while prospecting over the years....

Bill if you would like to try your luck just West of Wikieup let me know and I'll give you the GPS coords....good camping....water...a good quad road right to the deer....

post-300-0-01612700-1329417990_thumb.jpg

A deer hunt near Deadwood in winter '87 or '88

Check out the guy carrying the deer like a purse, people sure were a lot tougher back then.

• 3 weeks later...
Record Mulies north of the G canyon (popular area) good grass too, also imho the best meat comes from the White Mountains. And I prefer to harvest before the rut.

You struck upon a great point. Feed is what makes venison and where the feed is perfect the venison is great. Where is it crappy the meat is less than delectable. It ALMOST makes as much difference as how the animal is killed, dressed and butchered....ALMOST.

Desert Muleys are the best eating by far when they feed on high desert scrub. Lowlands muleys and Mountain Muleys tend to be a lot stronger tasting due to a more bitter diet than prickly pear and mesquite beans. And when the acacia beans are abundant the desert venison tastes like garlic! Up in the sage the venison tastes stronger and doubly up past the juniper/pinon level. And deer in the Rio Grande valley area feed on pecans, cotton blooms, lettuce, and all sorts of farm crops at night making the venison so mild as to be almost tasteless. Mountain muleys are a different sub-species than desert muleys I am told so genetics may be a factor in taste too. But it has been my experience that Desert Muleys taken in high desert mesquite scrub are the tastiest venison on the planet.

Years go I won a Remington 870 12 ga. pump at a Ducks Unlimited banquet. I had an 1100 at the time and couldn't imagine using anything else so I took it down to one of the local sporting goods stores and traded it even up for a used Remington 760 30.06 WITH a scope. Both me and the store owner were happy.

Years go I won a Remington 870 12 ga. pump at a Ducks Unlimited banquet. I had an 1100 at the time and couldn't imagine using anything else so I took it down to one of the local sporting goods stores and traded it even up for a used Remington 760 30.06 WITH a scope. Both me and the store owner were happy.

Sweet trade there Slim....

Yo All .. I've got all kinds of guns, but my meat producer for the past 50 years has been a JC Higgins single shot .22 that I got for Christmas in 1955 when I was 10 years old ... Can't begin to tell how many meat critters...deer, rabbits, squirrel, etc.,... I've brought home with that old gun, and I still can shoot birds out of the air in flight with it ... Once, when I was about 11 I shot a bat out of the air with it ...I suppose that if/when the s))t comes down, it'll be the meat gun that feeds us ... Lots O good memories wandering the deserts and forests with ol' JC ... Cheers, Unc

Been a long time since I gave any thought to Dad's old JC Higgings bolt action .22 Ron....it was clip fed and

held I believe 8 or 10 rounds....it had a big heavy wood stock and everything worked fine until I returned the

bolt into the locked and loaded position....then about 1/2 way down it would fire....that's how I learned breathing

and trigger control....kept meat in the fridge for a family of six for many years....

My favorite 22, believe it or not, is my Norinco semi-auto, the copy of Mr. Brownings. I have owned both and have noticed very little difference between the 2 guns. They both shoot great for short barrelled 22's.

Back in the early 70's the Norinco was 97 bucks new. Now you can find them at the gun shows for around 200 bucks. I paid 175 for mine about 5 years ago.

garimpo that is a very cool picture. So peaceful looking.

Yea Rim I used to collect Brownings....had several of the little .22's that you mention...my favorite was the

Browning T-bolt .22 rifle....

Also those plastic Remingtons were great shooters....used to buy them all day for around $80.00 but now

I think they also are around $150.00 or so....

The pic is of a river crossing here....several around here....guess cheaper than building a bridge....peaceful

for sure....ain't nothing around here that moves fast....if you don't count the women....

Yeah, I have never heard of any such law. Must be the planet of Califaztlan. Lots of guys have the big bananna clips in the Glocks that hold no telling how many rounds. And I know for sure that you can get a 40 rd. clip for an AR-15 with a 10" barrel...That is considered a pistol. So that must be some sort of local law or something.

I like that litlte gunfighter! Now mine has someone to shoot it out with!

Everyone carries in the big AZ...Depending on how irritated I want to be by weight, I'll either have (all Rugers) P95, P90, LCP. SW 64. Davis 22 Mag. Derringer, AK47, several 22/s , etc., some Remingtons, Savages and others and they all say, Bang ... Some say BANG!!!!!!...Basically would be a fairly long, loud time til we ran out of bullets... :rolleyes: Cheers Unc