Nugget Shooter Forums

Stream VS Lake fishing

Personally, I don't like to sit on the bank of a lake drowning worms.

I much prefer to walk a stream fishing my way from hole to hole.

I get a little exercise and more of a challenge.

Jus' MHO....

Oh ya, more of a variety of bait available on the stream banks.

I haven't had to buy bait for many, many, many years. :brows:

Ya know that is one of the things I really miss about Northern MI and WI is Brookie fishing with a fly rod..... Yum! Camp fire, gut the trout, stuff with butter and pre-cooked Uncle Ben's Wild Rice, throw in the coals and heaven awaits! :brows:

Ya know that is one of the things I really miss about Northern MI and WI is Brookie fishing with a fly rod..... Yum! Camp fire, gut the trout, stuff with butter and pre-cooked Uncle Ben's Wild Rice, throw in the coals and heaven awaits! :brows:

Dang that sounds good mr. Bill....the Brookies here will eat your fingers before you can eat them!!! :yikes::th:

Personally, I don't like to sit on the bank of a lake drowning worms.

I much prefer to walk a stream fishing my way from hole to hole.

I get a little exercise and more of a challenge.

Jus' MHO....

. :brows:

The lake inlet can be fun, can be some lazy lunkers waiting for new food to float on in,,,,,,, but, yeah, it's more fun to hunt along the stream, Don't let your shadow cast over the water, and walk quietly- they' re listening :shhhhh:

I caught my largest Brook Trout by crawling along the ground and dipping a mayfly in the water above his hole, released him afterward because I was just proving a point to him. For weeks I had been trying for him after watching him go airborne one day and never could get him to take a bait and I swear I could see that darn fish laughing at me.... Until I hooked him. :smack:

I miss fishing in the streams of the Black Hills of South Dakota, caught many a wild German brown and a few nice brookies. Loved fishing midges for the browns.

Now I have to settle for floating in my float tube and catching bass and bluegills.

I grew up in MN and used to do a lot of fishing and hunting. With 10,000 lakes and lots of streams and rivers it's a great place to fish -- and there were plenty of areas to hunt. I also developed a taste for wild rice but preferred the real wild stuff collected by the Indians. Nothing beats a slow roasted mallard with wild rice with lots of butter on it except maybe corn fed & aged venison loin chops cooked medium rare in a hot cast iron skillet.

I did more lake fishing than anything else and my favorite fish was the walleye. They are fun to catch, easy to fillet and are great tasting. I had a 14' Alumacraft with a 9.8 Merc and fished and hunted all over the state. Before I became Dakota Slim, some of my friends called me Virgil Ward.

One thing led to another and years later I found myself prospecting at Rye Patch with Jim French who told me about bounty fishing for squawfish (now Northern Pikeminnow) on the Columbia River In Washington & Oregon. That sounded like a fun break from prospecting so I gave it as try. It took a while to get the hang of it but it is a lot of fun and in my 2nd year I reached the top 20%. Last year, my 4th year, I made the top 10%. The Columbia is a great fishing river with lots of salmon, walleye, steelhead and huge sturgeon. I use a 14' boat up there too and have had sturgeon on that were almost as long as my boat.

Lake fishing USED to be my favorite. Now it's river fishing.

One of the largest Rainbows I caught was from a little stream about a foot wide and a foot deep.

He was in a little hole about 2ft. wide. I was fishing my way down to the lake inlet, just kinda killing time as I went along. He was about 18" long and very firm, great dinner that day.

I have Brookies on the claim from 8 to 14". A nice change of pace from prospecting all day.

Plenty of fishing in New Mexico Homie! Right up the road from you at Bear Canyon is a great spot for trout and crappie! The catfish and smallmouth are killer there too.

Within 20 milles of me there is almost 400 miles of trout streams. About a hundred lakes too. The lakes produce the biggest fish but there are wild trout in almost all the streams.

You gotta love hunting the streams with a fly or a helgramite. But trolling the little lakes way up in the spruce with a little 12 foot boat is a hoot!

Plenty of fishing in New Mexico Homie! Right up the road from you at Bear Canyon is a great spot for trout and crappie! The catfish and smallmouth are killer there too.

Within 20 milles of me there is almost 400 miles of trout streams. About a hundred lakes too. The lakes produce the biggest fish but there are wild trout in almost all the streams.

You gotta love hunting the streams with a fly or a helgramite. But trolling the little lakes way up in the spruce with a little 12 foot boat is a hoot!

NICE STRINGER! Yum.....