Nugget Shooter Forums

What is Placer Mining?

janevictory

Placer diamond mining, also known as "sand-bank mining" (top of page, right) is used for extracting diamonds and minerals from alluvial, eluvial, and or colluvial secondary deposits, and is a derivative form of open-cast mining used to extract minerals from the surface of the earth without the use of tunneling. Excavation is accomplished using water pressure (hydraulic mining), mechanized surface excavating equipment, or hand digging (artisanal mining).

Diamonds and most gemstones are hard, highly resistant to weathering, and have a specific gravity that is higher than that of common minerals, rock or sedimentary soil, therefore, they tend to concentrate in alluvial deposits in the same way that gold placers develop. Gems are separated from waste material using various sifting and sorting techniques such as cone screens, box screens, or pans, which concentrate the heavier gems at the bottom, or sort material according to size.

This is one link I'm not sure about opening... :twocents:

Steve

I've removed the link as spam, it's was trying to sell a rock crusher, the rest of her post which has some good info on finding diamonds can stay.

I agree with not clicking on any suspicious links, leave that for us on the staff, my computer is very well protected.

If Jane keeps posting spam she may have to go back to China, but for the time being she hasn't post anything malicious so if she can contribute without the spam she is welcome!!

Skip

I've removed the link as spam, it's was trying to sell a rock crusher, the rest of her post which has some good info on finding diamonds can stay.

I agree with not clicking on any suspicious links, leave that for us on the staff, my computer is very well protected.

If Jane keeps posting spam she may have to go back to China, but for the time being she hasn't post anything malicious so if she can contribute without the spam she is welcome!!

Skip

Good call Oh Great and Mighty One!!!!

I think her link is still on her profile...

You don't know that until you open it.

Steve

I have checked out Jane's link and it doesn't raise any red flags or set off any alarms, it would be gone if it was found to be malicious, it's a mining equipment website for large scale mining.

That being said, I don't usually check out website links in member's profiles unless warranted as in this case, so it would be wise not to click on any links in anyone profile or post without using reasonable caution, this would include Jane's link unless you're sure of the protection installed on your computer.

The programs I have allows me to check out any link, download, etc. for any malicious content before accessing, opening, downloading, etc.

Skip

In those instances where I'm unsure - and I do have some serious protection as well - I copy the link and do a web search of the link. Google will translate most of the time and you can often tell if things aren't kosher by the short description. :)

WOW Skip....I wish I could afford a SEAL Team 6 anti-virus program.... :smack:

:hahaha: Mine is called Squirrel team 6 and it's usually hibernating.