Nugget Shooter Forums

Our Public Lands...

Sounds like the type of organization that really needs the support of prospectors. If they were active in this movement they too would have had an audience with Mr. Salazar to voice their concerns, no?

If hunters and fishermen have a voice here why not us? All we need to do is supoport them as a group and prospectors would instanlty have a voice other than that of big mining or a small, specialized hobby. That is how the game is played...working within the system rather than working against it. If we had the voice of reason with the powers that be instead of the voice that we do we could prevail.

The hunters and fishermen seem to be able to have their opinions respected. I am not sure that the prospector has a voice at all. Often that voice comes from the fringes and is easily dismissed. Big mining is certainly not championing that voice. I believe groups like this can give the recreational prospector a venue to shift gears and be seen for what they really are. Recreatonal users if public land just like campers, fishermen, hunters, and every other outdoor activity.

An organized group (or groups) of prospectors sould join this group as a unified front along side the anglers and hunters. If the WMA, PLP, GPAA, Nuggetshooter, and several other prospecting groups would just make a statement supporting then the door is opened for a collective effort.

Take it from Bob Dylan. "Sometimes Satin comes as a man of peace."

It appears to me that these people are anything but friendly to mining, miners and increased access to motor vehicles. They point to http://www.azwild.org as an ally in their efforts and seem to be 100% behind Salazar.

It is not the differences that matter here. It is the commonalities. I honestly think that this escapes the average "miner".

Supporting a group does not mean signing on to every radical aspect of every other group that supports them. This is not about purity in an idealism. This is about drawing together resources fron groups that are DIVERSE and focusing on common goals. It also seems that if a group is not posturing and spewing dissent that others feel they are in cahoots. This is exactly the mentality that keeps us divided and weak.

Just my two cents.

I will not go into another long post as you all can see it in the other thread, but my main frustration is that no matter who or what organization tries to figure a way to do something for land rights etc. someone else tears their efforts down publicly without giving a solid explanation as to why....

THERE WILL ALWAYS BE DIFFERENCES IN OPINION and it is what makes things work if sorted out reasonably...

That is unless folks get all pouty and butt hurt before coming to ant solution at all, after that selfish pride disallows any further cooperation as the enemy further advances.

I started this section of NuggetShooter to get these very conversations going before it is to late and that is why I have been posting these links to different outfits so we may hear both sides good and bad!

This stuff really matters people and we better wake the heck up!

I agree Bill, and IMHO it appears that Our Public Lands has thrown recreational prospectors and placer miners under the bus long with the hard rock miners. Have a look... http://www.ourpubliclands.org/Mining

*The write "Nationally, hardrock mining has polluted 3,400 miles of streams and 440,000 acres of land, according to the EPA.".

This may be true, but how much of this is recent, within the last 20 years?

I see no mention of placer mining or recreational mining.

I agree Bill, and IMHO it appears that Our Public Lands has thrown recreational prospectors and placer miners under the bus long with the hard rock miners. Have a look... http://www.ourpubliclands.org/Mining

*The write "Nationally, hardrock mining has polluted 3,400 miles of streams and 440,000 acres of land, according to the EPA.".

This may be true, but how much of this is recent, within the last 20 years?

I see no mention of placer mining or recreational mining.

Yes they indeed have in many cases Slim and what they do not see is that once we are gone they are next, with past bad press as well as present pressure to mining and miners we are popular to hate and be a scapegoat.

This is where Terry's statement on education is very important and though disgusted by their view whe must somehow lift the veil of evil from our heads by teaching these folks.

I agree with Bob as well that it is time to speak out at forums etc. and start the education process and learn to work together before it is too late.