Nugget Shooter Forums

Drywasher muslin replacement...

Nugget Shooter

Hey All,

I need to replace the muslin on my 2 drywashers and just curious as to what glue you like best and how to keep fabric taught while attaching to the riffles. I have the muslin and riffles are cleaned up real nice so now would you use spray glue or.....

Lets hear your methods as I have not done this before believe it or not. Looks easy enough, but want to be sure to get it right the first try and that is what this forum is for right?

Bill as you probably know I staple mine because of the wood construction.

But I have been using AlexPlus siliconized latex cartdridge caulking on the edges for sealing purposes . This has great holding power if all surfaces are clean ( I use denatured alcohol to clean)

And it can be ripped or pulled free in the future for another replacement.

Also a newer product called Excell sealant is available in cartridge tubes good stuff too.

I have also see the elmers used, but wasn't sure how it would hold up. I found an article suggesting a spray glue called 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive I am going to try as it is supposed to work really well for drywashers.

I'll let ya know how it goes....

Hi Bill, I have went through this many times and never been happy with any spray glues. Last week I replaced the fabric on my keen 140 and it turned out great. Fist I built a wood frame about 6'' larger than the tray and stretched and stapled the fabric to it. The glue you need to get is called Goop. The strength and texture of the product seems to be the same as from the factory. Second I put a healthy amount of glue on the botton of the trey and set it on the stretched fabric, let it cure. This glue sets up quickly so you only have a minute or two. After the bottom is cured (20 minutes) cut the desired length from the wood frame. Now you can glue the sides. When I was all done I put a small beed of Goop at the bottom of each riffle. This worked great and I hope it helps.

Yeah, I use 3M weatherstrip adhesive in the tube (yellow snot). I think it is just the uphoilstery adhesive in a thicker viscosity. It sets in a couple of seconds and grabs really good. I stretch the muslin over a piece of cardboard and staple the edges to get it perfectly taught and then set the metal frame with a bead of adhesive on top. Within a minute the perfectly stretched fabric adheres to the frame and you can cut off the surrounding edges with a razor knife. It lasts forever and you can scrape it off with a scraper and some xylene if you need to replace the fabric in the future.

Wow guys thanks for all the great advise and appears there are many good methods.... I used the 3M spray 77 adhesive and it worked very well for me and will make future removal fairly easy by pulling (tearing) muslin off and cleaning glue off with acetone or brake cleaner. Finished the dead air space with a little 1/8 wide silicone strip layed in by taping and rubbing on with my finger and done. Here it is before the silicone...

2012-02-14_14-06-05_31.jpg

2012-02-14_14-06-23_502.jpg