Nugget Shooter Forums

Way to deep for a goldmaster...

Guest goldstudmuffin

Guest goldstudmuffin

Hi All,

Today I found the big brother of one of that ugly nugget with rock on it, it was about 15 feet away from the other one. It was only a whisper in one direction and when I checked it from the other direction the target was gone. It ended up being around 15" or 16" deep even John B's. goldmaster with the bigfoot wouldn't have a Chinamen's chance! :hahaha: I was using the modded 3500 with a round 16" mono. Why do all these nuggets have rock on them? :grr01:

This one weights in at 4.2 dwt. :thumbsupanim I'll try to clean it up in nictric acid> :fl:

post-86-0-30752700-1329002323_thumb.jpg

post-86-0-95600900-1329002348_thumb.jpg

Nice find, Russ...Looks like you're into a great family patch there ... I got one Saturday too that I'll post later ... I hope you find some way to clean that bad boy up ... Cheers, Unc

That is an interesting piece...very nice!

A generic question for you Russ...what is your method of researching for new/old areas to hunt...not asking for specific places, just the things you do to get to the new patches...

applying myself to methodical research has ever been a weakness for me...

thanks

fred

Guest goldstudmuffin

Thanks guys... I thought you'd like the way it turned out after the sandblaster treatment.

Bill, we just been hunting some old patches that have sat for a couple of years.

Guest goldstudmuffin

That is an interesting piece...very nice!

A generic question for you Russ...what is your method of researching for new/old areas to hunt...not asking for specific places, just the things you do to get to the new patches...

applying myself to methodical research has ever been a weakness for me...

thanks

fred

Hi Fred,

I'm flattered that you think I know how to do reserch. I'll share a little that you probably already know, and I don't pretend to know it all, I'm still learning too. I'm sure you know there are small placer area's in some of the gold districts that aren't in any books, and there's no way that I know of to research them. If you can find some of those area's that were worked by the old timers and then branch out looking for those same gold indicators or the same ground that is found in and around the old diggings. The one thing I have learned is that indicators will change from one placer area to the next, some area's may not have any indicators that you will recognize... one of the most basic rules of prospecting is to remember iron is the mother of gold! Learn how to recognize iron and all the different types and color of iron. Another basic rule is look for iron and quartz in the same area and if you find iron and quartz on the same rock then get even more interested in the area. That's just a few of the basic things that we have had luck with... and I just thought of one more thing. I have read on the gold forums that some guys looks for areas that have 3 or 4 different kinds of rock, I know of some very good nugget patches that only have 1 or 2 kinds of rock that they have iron mixed in the rock or iron stained rock. I hope I didn't bore ya!

Thanks guys... I thought you'd like the way it turned out after the sandblaster treatment.

Russ- What kind of sandblaster do you have? A small hobby type or a professional one? I have a venture in mind that requires sandblasting. By the way- when you use it on your nuggets, do you have use it outdoors or is it done in a box of some sort?

Steve

Guest goldstudmuffin

Russ- What kind of sandblaster do you have? A small hobby type or a professional one? I have a venture in mind that requires sandblasting. By the way- when you use it on your nuggets, do you have use it outdoors or is it done in a box of some sort?

Steve

Hi Steve, it's a small hobby sandblaster cabinet from harbor fright.

Guest goldstudmuffin

Fred,

This is a unusual placer area covered with caliche and ironstones... notice the drywash piles are almost all caliche... how many colors of rock do you see at this nugget patch?

post-86-0-18794300-1329361886_thumb.jpg

post-86-0-31727300-1329362051_thumb.jpg

post-86-0-30211200-1329362500_thumb.jpg

post-86-0-38995200-1329362631_thumb.jpg