Nugget Shooter Forums

California Mine Dispute Recalls Wild Past

GeoJack

PLACERVILLE, Calif.

California's Gold Rush was more than a century-and-a-half ago, but its Wild West spirit lives on in a dispute between government agencies and a landowner in the Sierra Nevada foothills that some officials describe as one of the most egregious cases of illegal mining they have ever encountered.

It looks like a sand & gravel operation to me but regardless, this is exactly what's wrong in this country today. Here's a guy out there trying to make a buck on his own land and is having to fight the city, the county, the state and a dozen federal agencies in order to do so.

I'm sure Sutter is rolling in his grave along with Jefferson and the rest of the founding fathers.

What a Load of CRAP! Good GOD! It's his property to begin.

What's there issues?

As long as nothing he does environmentally leaves his property, Even the EPA has no say.

You DO NOT need to pay taxes on GOLD!

You only pay when it's converted to the Dollar.

Good Luck to him now that the WOLVES have the sent of Blood. ($$$$$$$$$)

El Dorado county has been decimated by this stinkn' depression,loss of mining revenues,dredge ban, property tax devaluations up to 40% and on and on. NOW seems they got a new sham skam a going on -FINE THE MINERS---He jumped through all the hoops and NEVER enough to satisfy the bureauratz--CENSORED-John

I hope he beats them in court, if he goe's F--king greenies are running this state! Maybe if he would tell them its going to be a summer camp for Gays and

lezzie's they would leave him alone. Grubstake

If they want the land so bad, he should sell it to them for say about 30 Billion dollars or so.

Until then it's his to do what he want with.

He should set Suit to the County, State or who ever that is Impeding his mining efforts.

If he does it without letting any thing outside of his properties, they have NO SAY!

The IT MIGHT HAPPEN, IT COULD HAPPEN has no bearing until it DOES happen.

Fight Fire with Fire!

Governmental land-use regulation that deny the property owner any economically viable use are deemed a taking of the affected property. See, e.g., Lucas v. South Carolina Coastal Council, 505 U.S. 1003 (1982), First English Evangelical Lutheran Church v. County of Los Angeles (1987). The general approach to this question was summed up in Agins v. City of Tiburon, 447 U.S. 255 (1980) which states that the application of land-use regulations to a particular piece of property is a taking only "if the ordinance does not substantially advance legitimate state interests ... or denies an owner economically viable use of his land." However, in Lingle v. Chevron, 544 U.S. 528 (2005), the Supreme Court overruled the "substantially advance" criterion of a taking. When a government regulation effects a taking of private property by such excessive regulation, the owner may initiate inverse condemnation proceedings to recover the just compensation for the taking of his or her property, provided that procedural hurdles have been overcome.

In recent years, the concept of regulatory taking has been used more loosely—outside the constitutional sense—by property rights groups, extending to include regulations that reduce property values by lesser amounts. Ballot initiatives based on this interpretation (such as Oregon's Measure 37) have been advanced in at least seven states in the years 2000 to 2006. All these states are in the American west, but a significant portion of the funding for the initiatives has come from sources on the east coast.[1]

Guest Gripper

F the new America. Sick of this BS. First, piss on KCRGAY for being a "motherlode" station and taking this stance. They took a swing at this guy weeks ago and they continue to paint a picture of the evil miner. Pathetic dandies, they would never shut down the "hair gell" mines or "bullet proof makeup" pits. I am trying to be funny but I know they are on the enviro agenda which I hope ends up in a case of acute lead poisoning. Those darn heavy metals.....