Nugget Shooter Forums

Speaking of treasure from the sea

The shipwreck is out in front of a small bay inlet so there's quite a bit of silt, I heard the dredge hit the coins about 23 feet down in the sand. Those blue coins had areas with mirror like mint luster when I dug them but once exposed to the air the started oxidizing like silver will do.

Awesome finds, we get some occasional reales washing up on our shores here in southern S.C. after a good storm moving up the coast, we have many Spanish wrecks off the coast and some pirate ships as well, would love to find a gold coin!!!

Skip

Very nice collection. That would be a dream day for all of us! Thank you for the inspiration! My five-hours at Robert Moses, on Long Island, yesterday proved disappointing as far as finds go! After seeing yours - I'm reminded of the old Saturday Night "Hans and Franz" routine, and I am Pumped Up! :thumbsupanim :wubu:

Great finds. The condition is beautiful.

When did the wreck happen?

thanks for sharing the photos...

They think the ship is the Fane a privateer, the newest and most common reales are dated 1780 so around that time frame. Most 8 reales from one hole was 34, a friend and I dug in that hole for 4 straight hours phew!

Congratuations on your finds. Anyone who has ever swung a metal detector or used a dredge etc. in the search for "treasure" will be envious of your booty. I suggest you take those coins within the concretions & place them outdoors in a open container of white vinegar for about 6 months or more. This solution is non invasive & will gently remove the material surrounding the coin. Don't rush things & you will receive great results.You may have to change the vinegar out every month.