Nugget Shooter Forums

Fisher Gold Bug 2 - What detector in the $1200 range would be the next step up?

I have owned the Fisher Gold Bug 2 for 11 years now and would like to get something new. What would you guys recommend taking a look at in the $1200 range. I would like to have a detector with adjustable discrimination, and would love a PI machine. I've looked at the Garrett Infinium on the web but don't have any personal experience, anyone here have both the Gold Bug 2 and the Infinium? Let me know what you all think, thanks!

ez TO DO,PUT ALL THAT CASH AWAY AS THATS not HOW YOU PICK A DETECTOR. jUST BEG,BORROW,RENT A NEW gOLD bUG pRO--THAT MODEL ONLY--AND YOU'LL BE ABSOLUTELY AMAZED AT THE PERFORMANCE AND KEEP THAT EXTRA $$$ IN THE BANK FOR TRIP COSTS TO FEED YOUR ADDICTIONS-TONS A AU 2 U2 -jOHN--oops sorry for caps- :tisk-tisk:

Hoser, I went to one of the GPAA Gold shows out in Fresno and ask the Fisher rep if he thought I should get a Gold Bug Pro. He told me "Honestly no, the Gold Bug 2 is just as good". Do you have experience with both of them? I think yall are right about the Minelab GPX4500, but $4500? Thats going to take a minute to save up for, I mean I could sell some of my Gold, but hell no it took me this long to find it...I'M KEEPIN IT ! Anyway, thanks for all the replies...here's some photo's of what I've been finding with the Gold Bug 2.

gallery_25897_3_123821.jpggallery_25897_3_166251.jpgCheck my Gallery for more...

In the 1200 range look at the Whites TDI SL. The Minelab would be the best, but we cant all afford that, the Infinium is a great detector, I have seen alot of gold found with them, so dont let people talk you out of one, they do work great. But I really like the TDI SL.

I've swung the GB series, 1(20+) & 2 for over 10 years and more better as conductivity testing is much improved with metering,lighter and better performance in hot areas. Locals kicking butt in hammered patches that they worked for years. Trinity AU here on forum is the master when detecting and he's changed over to them and a better refrence don't ever come--tons a au 2 u 2-John

Hoser, I went to one of the GPAA Gold shows out in Fresno and ask the Fisher rep if he thought I should get a Gold Bug Pro. He told me "Honestly no, the Gold Bug 2 is just as good". Do you have experience with both of them? I think yall are right about the Minelab GPX4500, but $4500? Thats going to take a minute to save up for, I mean I could sell some of my Gold, but hell no it took me this long to find it...I'M KEEPIN IT ! Anyway, thanks for all the replies...here's some photo's of what I've been finding with the Gold Bug 2. gallery_25897_3_123821.jpggallery_25897_3_166251.jpgCheck my Gallery for more...

Are all your nuggets shaped like mango seeds?

Darn nice gold my friend!

I was once in your shoes and decided to upgrade from the GB2. So I did. Several times. And yes I found some gold that a GB2 would not find. Not much. And now I use a GB2 again and a GMT. Both are sweet and cost me less than $1200 combined and I have 4 coils for the GB2.

I went back to the VLF machines because the areas I hunt gold have very few lunkers and a whole lot of tiny freckles, and the gold is fairly shallow. And the areas I hunt meteorites they are not deep either and it is impossible to use a prospecting type PI in most places because of the interfereance. So machines like the GB2 and the GMT are the perfect choice for what I happen to be doing at the moment.

There is no doubt that in a lot of situations a PI will get you more gold than a GB2. But it has been my experience that you had better have access to some mighty good ground with some mighty big nuggets to offset the difference you will pay for the machines. If you are willing to pony up the cash and spend the hours to find a big one then a PI is your best bet for sure, and in some placers they pay off very nicely. For the average placer ground it is tough to beat a GB2 when the purchase price of the machine is compared to the recovery after a 2-3 year span.

For that ore in your lower photo you can just about kiss those goodbye with a PI. Again, in my limited experience a PI just does not compare to a VLF for finding nice float. Many of my best specimens are not detectable with a PI at all, yet scream on my GB2 at a nice distance. So there are advantages and disadvantages to both types of machines depending on the physical caracteristics of the placer ground you are working.

Hey Bob, thanks for that detailed explanation. That was very insightful, you've defiantly given me something to think about! So you got 4 coils for the GoldBug 2, what do you think about the biggest one? I've been wanting to get it but wasn't to sure if I would really benefit from it or not.

Thanks again for all of the responses!

The big coil is not that great. It falses a lot and will drive you crazy with the noise. The medium coil is great but the tiny coil is the hottest thing for the GB2. I bought the big coil to make covering ground quicker and took a step backwards form the medium sized coil.

I put the control box in a little camera bag and use a light PVC pole on the little coils. I can throw the pole down on the rocks to dig and take the camera bag underground without the control box getting full of silty dust. The GB2 is so small that the weight is not even a factor in a hunt. And the small target response will sniff out a nugget patch or a potential drywash area pretty quick.The only shortcoming of the GB2 is depth, and I use a rake to take that upper layer of rocks off the top and that can effectively add 2-4" in depth without losing one iota of sensitivity.

I am not knocking the PI at all. In the country you are at you probably could pay for one pretty quick. Just trying to offer a few suggestions that have really worked for me on the VLF.

Good luck! Those are really nice mango seed looking nuggets you have and I bet there are a lot more where those came from!

More good info, thanks! Yeah, I'm sure they're are more nuggets where I found those. The problem is I found out the place is private property, so until I get the owners permission I'm not going back. SUCKS !

I just found a 68 gram gold in quartz nugget (13.64 grams gold) where some PI's have been working the area. They missed it, my GB 2 didn't. Lucky?

Was thinking about the 14" coil but with BB's comments, I'll stay with the mid and small one for now.

Good find Jack! I feel the same way about the 14" coil since Bob's comments, I might just have to get one anyway! So Jack, do you tend to use the Gold Bug 2 in discrimination mode or all metal? Actually this question is for anyone with experience with the Gold Bug 2. I know people say that you miss gold when in discrimination mode but my experience has been the opposite. I feel I get a clearer louder sound on targets if I swing the detector kinda fast. Just curious to see what others have to say about that. Thanks!

Fast swing as well when targeting. Low and slow when seeking.

Discrimination mode "LOW",

AUDIO Boost on if there is not too much mineralization. I will take it off when in trashy areas or where a lot of hot rocks are.

IRON DISC to confirm non-ferrous, dig everything anyway.

I get a clearer sound with some Discrimnation on but feel I loose depth and air test confirm this. Rarely use the Discrimination Switch, just the IRON DISC. Never take Sensitivity down below 9 and Volume all the way to 10.

A used TDI can be had for less than $1200 and would make a fine PI companion to the GB2. I use the GB2 extensively (not exclusively) and can tell you that each coil has its place: The 10" and 14" coils are great for those loose papers on your desk, with the 14" able to hold down a bigger stack. The 6" coil is what makes the GB2 shine in the field. Do not worry about depth, that is what the companion PI is for.

MGB - Do not rely on the discriminate mode to tell you anything... dig everything. And why not? No hole will be deeper than about 6" (unless you're real lucky). I like the fast swing for pinpointing targets, but not when searching for those small bits. Here is a link to an article I wrote geared to this type of detecting and to a couple Youtubes I did on the GB2:

http://prospectorsclub.org/LUCKY%20JOE'S%20TIPS.pdf

Now go get some more gold to show us!

Lucky Joe