Nugget Shooter Forums

Raw Gold Nugget !!!?????????? help

brandon8810

Welcome to the forum Brandon!!

It looks good but it's hard to say from your photo, the streak test is a good sign, try to push a sharp point into the "gold" to see if it shatters/crumbles or just leave a dent/impression that gold will do, gold will have the same golden color/glow in direct sunlight as it does in shade, most all other minerals confused with gold will not have the same golden color/glow in the shade.

You can also take it to a jeweler and have it test with an electronic gold tester.

When you take a picture of a specimen try to do so with natural light and no flash, the best is outside and out of direct sunlight to avoid the material having a glare.

Skip

i did the bite test left tiny impression/dent doesnt crumble or break apart i will post one in direct sunlight that is not flash that is a lamp taken with an itouch 4th gen

With the cost of dental work these days most modern gold prospectors use a knife, don't get carried away and break a tooth, but the impression/dent is a great sign!!! :D

Take the picture in the shade, direct sunlight will most likely cause the same glare.

Looks like you may have a great specimen there and I hope you do, once you have seen real raw gold and confirm it you will not have a problem in the future of telling if it's gold or not.

Skip

In the early '80's I ran our mine's gold lab...We had a Cat battery blow up in the pit and lead flew everywhere...From then on when I would smelt our fines in a kiln, it often came out looking exactly like that ... I had to grind it up and use bone cuples to draw the lead from the gold ... Pain in the butt ... Is the material the (possibly) gold is mixed with brittle or soft? ... Hope you've got yourself a great specimen there ... Cheers, Unc

It looks just like the gold that was poured from our makeshift ore smelting experiment. It was encrusted in a flaky, slaggy lead crust. The fellow that was the "expert" boiled them in a beaker of some sort of acid. Hydrochloric I believe. The acid would turn a pale milky blue and the gold would come out clean. He would then drop silver out of the solution into a snow white powder that tasted really horrible to the State Cop that thought it was cocaine when he found that vial in my pocket.

It looks like a keeper to me.

In the early '80's I ran our mine's gold lab...We had a Cat battery blow up in the pit and lead flew everywhere...From then on when I would smelt our fines in a kiln, it often came out looking exactly like that ... I had to grind it up and use bone cuples to draw the lead from the gold ... Pain in the butt ... Is the material the (possibly) gold is mixed with brittle or soft? ... Hope you've got yourself a great specimen there ... Cheers, Unc

it is not brittle at all slightly soft