Nugget Shooter Forums

Saxton Creek - Mariposa, Ca

Hello everyone! I've been lurking and reading this forum for years now but this is my first post. I'm looking for anyone who might know some history on Saxton Creek. The claim I'm working is just south of the Schroeder Mine on Saxton Creek. I haven't found the big one yet but found some nice little pickers and what not in cracks of bedrock. There are a lot of tailings piles up on the side of the creek from some kinda old placer operation. If anybody knows this area please let me know, thanks!

mariposagoldbag

By the description you gave (just south of the Schroeder Mine on Saxon Creek) sounds like you might be on the Golden Madria claim,if you are above the Golden Madria you are on another claim.As for history not much written about Saxon. You will find a little in this link. http://www.mariposar...t/whitlock.html

Chuck

The last time I checked the Golden Madria claim it was not active. I have been on the claim many times in the past. It was filed as the Golden Madria by the late Chuck Levy and names after his late wife Madria. It was then sold to another party and I believed it then lapsed. At one time it became difficult to access due to some boundry changes between the BLM and Mariposa county. Not sure of the status now. Jerry

Yup, thats the one. It is still active, though it seems to have been pretty much worked out. So far all I've found is small stuff in the cracks of bedrock, you think there is any chance of there being some big stuff there?

There is gold in the shaft and a old fairbanks compressor but the shaft hasn't been worked since the 50's and is dangerous with rot and water. We used to dredge the creek in season with a 2 inch and never did get a whole lot of gold, but did get old watch parts and other things that were old. The thing I remembered most was the wild flowers in the spring in and around the claim.. Jerry