Nugget Shooter Forums

110 volt Ultrasonic Cleaner Question

frank c

Thanks Denny, do you dilute it with water or use it straight ??

Another question maybe Eldorado knows if you don't, The directions that come with it say DO NOT put emeralds in the ultrasonic cleaner ALL other jewerly is O.K.

Whats with Emeralds ???

I use a product from Rio Grande Jewelry Supply , Albuquerque, NM for my Ultrasonic cleaner when making silver jewelry. This is the product that most jewelers use. There are several different solutions available. I also use a tumbler with stainless steel shot to clean and polish. Jerry

I think i remember the reason emeralds are not suited for this kind of cleaning

is that they are relatively soft and also fracture easily..

Could very well be Flak, I was looking at emerald rings yesterday in a jewerlers store and spotted one in the case with a crack going right through the whole stone with the naked eye.

I pointed it out to them an they could'nt believe it was left in the case for sale.

I use simple green in mine. There are many gemstones that should never be put in an ultrasonic cleaner, Emeralds , pearls, peridot, opal, sunstone and topaz are just a few off the top of my head to avoid.

I use white venegar and salt (2-1)in a baby food jar then put that sealed jar in the ultrasonic cleaner to clean nuggets (shake it up good first). Keeps the ultrasonic cleaner much nicer and I don't have to change the liquid and the smell of the vinegar is captured......

I keep my standard simple green solution in the U/S cleaner and put the jar in a basket so it is not on the bottom of the U/S cleaner. If you don't have a basket, just leave some air in the jar and let it float. Having anything on the floor of the unit is very hard on the transducer and will wear it out way to fast. This allows the use of many cleaners without having to change it all the time. You can put acetone in the jar and clean a fuel injector for instance....... Or Hornady ONE SHOT cleaner and clean gun parts......

Any thing with a lot of fractures like Emeralds,Garnets,Tourmaline and Opals, the ultra sonic waves act like wedges. It will break them apart or turn them into dust.! A 20% solution of Mr Clean and water will work as good as any commercial cleaner made for Ultra Sonics.

Hope this helps

Hey, El Dorado... So is Frank aka SGTFDA

Registered gemologist or something like that.

Teases his wife constantly that the flour gold she goes nuts trying to get is smaller than the stuff he used to brush from the table in to the trash.