Nugget Shooter Forums

This is the ugliest I've ever found!

Guest goldstudmuffin

Guest goldstudmuffin

Hi Bill and All,

I was going to go to work today but I changed my mind and went nugget hunting instead. :brows:

I found the butt ugliest nugget I've ever seen, it's even uglier than a space rock! :hahaha:

Maybe I should of gone to work... :hmmmmm: It's gettin a bath in CLR right now to see if it will clean up.

post-86-0-82379400-1328148036_thumb.jpg

post-86-0-80807300-1328148059_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yo Russ...Every Dad loves his ugliest daugher best! ... I'll be that cleans up pretty good ... I've got some schisty nuggets that I wouldn't trade for the world, but would love to know if some kind of acid can remove the schist???? Anybody have any knowledge on that? ... Still some nice nuggets and your work day would have been just another work day...But there's no such thing as "just another" nugget findin' day ... :thumbsupanim Cheers, Unc

Hey Uncle Ron,

I probably should not bring this up because almost every body goes nuts when I do!!?? So here we go. Hydroflouric acid will do the job for sure. However, you had best leave that up to the experts because it's very nasty stuff without a doubt. I've used it for 40 plus years and I do know how to use that acid and I've saved a number of "Butt Ugly Nuggets". By removing a controlled amount of ugly quartz (grey, stained and cracked)until the quartz was snow white (sugar quartz)? and more gold was exposed thereby making it into a beautiful specimen!!!! I've done the same with Hematite.

Sooooo, now comes the question "Where can I get this acid"? and my answer will be "I don't know". Someone with no experience using this stuff has no business using it, believe me.

Wishbone

Hey Wishbone...Thanks for the idea...I operated the lab for our mining company in Siskiyou county and rescued hundreds of nuggets with HFL acid, so I am very savvy on using it ... But I never tried removing schist with it, only quartz ... Do you know if it will work on schist? Cheers, Unc

Guest goldstudmuffin

Well I soaked it in CLR for 1/2 an hour and it cleaned off the caliche, next in went into nictric acid for the last 24 hours and it's only slighty better. I might keep it now! :cool: Next I think I'll try the sandblaster.... that will make john B. go crazy :ROFL:

post-86-0-65791200-1328236349_thumb.jpg

post-86-0-51516800-1328236363_thumb.jpg

Guest goldstudmuffin

Well the ugly duckling is looking a lot better now :thumbsupanim The front side looks nice now, the backside could use some more cleaning but I'm tired of fooling with it! :tisk-tisk:

post-86-0-68381300-1328313874_thumb.jpg

post-86-0-33082100-1328313902_thumb.jpg

Hey Wishbone...Thanks for the idea...I operated the lab for our mining company in Siskiyou county and rescued hundreds of nuggets with HFL acid, so I am very savvy on using it ... But I never tried removing schist with it, only quartz ... Do you know if it will work on schist? Cheers, Unc

Howdy Uncle Ron,

Never used it on schist either but I think it should. One way to find out for sure. Go for it and let us know how it goes. Just can't stand the suspence!!

Wishbone

Guest goldstudmuffin

Hi Uncle Ron,

I just got home from detecting... I used the sandblaster on it with glassbeads, I could do more on the backside but the gloves in the sandblaster have holes in the finger tips and it was hard to hold the nugget. After that it went back in the nictric acid for 12 more hours.

I have used HF acid and I know it's even stronger when heated on a camp stove... it just not worth all the risks involed. Then you have worry about where to store the stuff where the grandkids won't find it!