Nugget Shooter Forums

Timmins Core Sample

Hi again!

I came across this core sample when I was working as an aircraft mechanic up in

Timmins Ontario. (1979) There were literally mountains of samples like these near abandoned

mines. I think I picked up one of the better ones. Wish I had picked up more!!!

DSC05665.jpg

How do you think I might pretty this thing up for display?

Karl

Man, just a few yards of diggin like that could make a man start thinking about Cadillacs and such. That was a bullseye shot!

Beautiful! I would not do a darn thing to it. It is better than perfect just the way it is in my humble opinion!

Hi Chuck and Bedrock Bob! Thanks for the comments on my little core sample.

Darn, but I wish I'd picked up a few more of those things! I was out grouse hunting

and came across an abandoned pile of cores, thought I'd look at a few since I knew

I was in gold territory, and pocketed the one you see here.

If I'd had any foresight at all, I would have returned day after day to pick out any

bits of colour (Canadian spelling) I might find. I guess I should be thankful for the

nice piece that I do have. And I am.

The next item in my "collection" that I have to deal with is an alleged meteorite.

And it might possibly be a rarity, originating from Mercury. I've done a few preliminary

tests and inquired on other websites (Sky & Telescope, for one) and have cautious hopes

for its validity. I need to take some better photographs than I already have, and I will

post them in the appropriate section here.

I hope to get input from everyone here! You have all been a blessing to me so far!

(Not to mention that you've made me feel REAL good about my finds!!)

Karl

OH, P.S. No, I didn't break the sample. You see it just as I found it.

I would certainly try my best to find that spot again.... that vein material could be a real bonanza

I would certainly try my best to find that spot again.... that vein material could be a real bonanza

I was thinking the same as well!!

Karl is it possible for you to find that place again, is it still accessible?

Skip

Well, Skip and El D... I WISH!!

We're talking about a place I visited while hunting on weekends more than thirty years ago!

All I remember for certain is that I was hunting on an old (abandoned and overgrown) mine

camp trail somewhere between Timmins and South Porcupine. (On the South side.)

There were dozens, if not hundreds, of these core sample piles littered all over the area I

was hunting. If I lived closer, (A LOT closer!) I might mount an expedition to see if any of the

areas I hunted were still available. I imagine that a lot of the old abandoned claims have been

re-opened, since the price of gold has climbed so radically in the last decade or two.

Hindsight is twenty-twenty, (or maybe 30-30 LOL) and If I'd only known then what I do now...

I have to be thankful for what I have. Maybe I'll stumble across more treasure someday!

Karl

Karl

If you ever want the end of that cut flat and polished smooth I would be happy to do that, and for free as usual....

SHOULD I flatten and polish the end? As a newbie to the hobby, I don't know

any of the accepted practices, and I thought it should be left just "as found" to

retain its value. I might consider cutting it into two pieces, since it's about 2.5

inches long, and there is evidence that the vein runs deep. (See attached photos)

DSC05670.jpg

DSC05671.jpg

As you can see, even the "bad" end of the sample shows a little colour.

I really would like to display this piece to its best advantage.

Karl

I can make this a fantastic cabinet speciman. That would not diminish value at all. Wh would I do it for free? Cause I can and have done this kind of work for quit a few forum members, plus it is extremely enjoyable for me. My diamomd saw is only .012" thick and would take out very little gold and any chips or pieces would be returned. I would not remove the saw cuts on the sides. It's your choice, but just know it is always an available option.

Karl,

In ordinary circumstances I would advise you to keep that just like you found it as a one in a million hole shot.I get an automatic gag reaction when anyone suggests doing much of anything to a specimen like that. But these are no ordinary circumstances. Eldorado would be the only person on the entire globe that could appreciate that specimen and actually do something with it that was worthy.

If I were you I would pack it in a box and ship it to Steve and rest assured that it will return spectacular. He has a double handfull of projects posted on this site and they all do the ore justice, and then some. And whether you love him or hate him (or both) he is as solid and honest as a man comes.

Just send it. It is a one in a million chance for a one in a million section of core.

Karl,

In ordinary circumstances I would advise you to keep that just like you found it as a one in a million hole shot.I get an automatic gag reaction when anyone suggests doing much of anything to a specimen like that. But these are no ordinary circumstances. Eldorado would be the only person on the entire globe that could appreciate that specimen and actually do something with it that was worthy.

If I were you I would pack it in a box and ship it to Steve and rest assured that it will return spectacular. He has a double handfull of projects posted on this site and they all do the ore justice, and then some. And whether you love him or hate him (or both) he is as solid and honest as a man comes.

Just send it. It is a one in a million chance for a one in a million section of core.

I agree...Steve is the only person I would trust with a core section like that.

G'Day Karl

Nice piece of core. That's all I used to do back in Oz, was look at those god darn sticks of rock. I'd rather look at yours.

As for your possible Mercury meteorite, I'm a little skeptic

One major problem with a Mercurian origin of enstatite meteorites

is Mercury's mean density of about 5.4 g/cm^3. Enstatite chondrites,

on the other hand, have a density of about 3.4-3.7 g/cm^3.

Palme (2002) proposes that NWA 011 may be a fragment of Mercury!

Problem: The high FeO content of this meteorite would point toward a

parent body with a small metallic iron core and this is irreconcilable with

the large iron core believed to exist in Mercury.

References:

BURBINE T.H. et al. (2002) Spectra of extremely reduced assemblages:

Implications for Mercury (MAPS 37-9, 2002, pp. 1233-1244).

PALME H. (2002) A new solar system basalt (Science 296, 271-273).

CONSOLMAGNO G.J. et al. (1998) The density and porosity of

Meteorites from the Vatican collection (MAPS 33, 1231-1241).

Cheers

Johnno

Johnno,

Don't be so skeptical about that Mercurian meteorite. I recently found one from Uranus. I believe it is connected to the new strewn field that I posted about a few months back. I am writing a story about it right now and they are simply agog at UNM.

Just kidding fellows. I couldn't resist.

Johnno,

Don't be so skeptical about that Mercurian meteorite. I recently found one from Uranus. I believe it is connected to the new strewn field that I posted about a few months back. I am writing a story about it right now and they are simply agog at UNM.

Just kidding fellows. I couldn't resist.

Now there's a good one BB.

And Karl, I will agree with the others here that El D is the only person I would let touch that speci,en, if you choose to do anything with it. I've seen several items he's done here and on his site and agree that no one else should even be considered.

Johnno, and Bedrock Bob, I was going to post a couple of pictures of my (magnetic) fossilized Elk Poo, but the sample is so

small that I haven't been able to get other than a fuzzy shot of it. Perhaps I'll give it another try tomorrow.

Steve, thank you very much for your offer to purty up my core sample! After seeing a few examples of

your work, I must say I'm very impressed! And it seems you come highly recommended! My only concern

at this point is if there might be any issue sending my sample across the border. (And getting it back! LOL)

I'll do a little research about cross-border shipping and send you a PM shortly!

Karl

Make sure you let it be known it is an ore sample and all should be OK......