Nugget Shooter Forums

Possible Lunar, found in 2008.

I found this one in 2008 in the Kuwaiti desert. It bears good resemblance to Dhofar 1085 and it's pairings. It is only slightly magnetic in a couple of places, and looks pretty good to me. I realize that the chances of finding a Lunar a slim-to-none, but there's still a chance. Especially in the dry desert I was hunting.

PossibleLunar6.jpg

PossibleLunar3.jpg

Kuwaitlunarpossible.jpg

PossibleLunar1.jpg

Needs some science, not just "it looks like XXX".

You want me to actually scroll through the chemical compositions of each Dhofar XXXX that it resembles and paste the data here? All I am asking is (and I have done years of research) do those of you with a decent Lunar collection or experience in handling them think it is a waste of time to get this checked? I realize it is impossible to tell, but clast size, external and internal compositions can tell you a lot. So visually, does it seem worth my time?

Rocco, I would put a window in it or slice off the end to see the inside. You could also do a density test on it to see where it falls in relation to a lunar. Also, this weekend I'll get that stuff in mail. Every time I remember about it, I forget your address, or the package. I know, no excuse. This weekend for sure. Jason

Jay, the last photo is a rounded, polished window. Take your time Boss, but I will be moving out of this house in about 2-3 weeks, so if you're going to send it soon, it needs to be this week. Thanks again brother!

It sanded it from rough to 1200 grit sand paper, and I didn't want to cut it just in case it might be a Lunar. I will rely on whatever University I send it to to do the cutting to reduce loss. I may cut it in half beforehand, to save the best-looking half for myself, and the rest to go to institutions/classification. (That's IF it is a meteorite, which I know is 99% unlikely, but a guy can dream, right?)

Rocco,

PM me your new address and I'll get those to you. The rock looks similar to a few I got at Tucson last year that were worn, but not meteoritic, as far as I can tell based off the tests I have done (streak, density). The desert has a way of changing the rocks outer structure and giving it that nice patina crusted look.

Jason

There is nothing on the surface of this piece that I would consider to be a fusion crust at all, although the blackish portions do look basaltic in nature, and there are only a few spots of visible metal when viewed at 10X, so the magnetism is very slight and I almost dismissed it as being completely non-magnetic. I'd like to cut it straight in half and polish it for my shelf of beautiful wrongs, especially if I get it tested and it i for sure terrestrial. I don't hold high hopes for any of the 3 specimens I have posted here with the exception of the iron piece. I just want everyone to know that I am almost positive they are NOT meteorites, I was just looking for input to see if anyone were in my shoes, would they spend the time to get these pieces checked. I have a pretty good amount of knowledge on meteorites, and after 28 boring months of deployment I spent a lot of my down time researching meteorites online, reading everything on meteorites I could, and studying specimens that were purchased from reputable dealers. So I wouldn't call myself new to this at all, I just don't have any strewnfield experience, but I have years of hunting experience. Due to the locations of these finds that appear Lunar, I don't want to immediately dismiss them as wrongs, as the arid desert I found them in would be perfect for preserving them. So please don't be too harsh on me, I realize I am just driving on hope here, and they only so far visually appear similar, but if there is a slight chance I want to take it.