Nugget Shooter Forums

Old find from Kuwait. Questions.

This is a picture of Kalahari 008 & 009 next to my grey Kuwaiti stone that I found. They both have the 'glassy' crust, as well as the white clasts on the outside. I need to send this in for classification. (Picture of Kalahari 009 borrowed from http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/stones/kalahari008.htm)

I doubt it is a Lunar, but it's external and internal similarities are pretty close to identical. It's only slightly magnetic, and was very difficult to cut due to it's 'glassy' nature. So the questions I have are, what are your thoughts, and should I get it looked at by a professional?

Kalahari009.jpg

Kuwaitregmaglyphs1.jpg

Kuwaitregmaglyphs2.jpg

In the last photo, it almost appears to be volcanic. I have never seen a meteorite that looks like it has eye sockets! Haha. But it does have white clasts in it, one of which can be seen on the top, center, of the last photo as well. The glassy 'crust' on the underside of the stone is what gets me. That was the side that was facing the desert floor, and there is only one spot of 'crust' on the top left, which is visible, in the last picture as well.

The rock looks like some type of quartz or quartzite to me...pictures of lunars that I have seen have white clasts that are more like milk-glass...but, that is just one souls opinion...

fred

I agree with the statement about the white clasts being more milk-like. The stone itself is not quartz, but is some grey material that is almost like glass with metal dispersed throughout. But the white portions inside do seem like some type of quartz. I don't know what it is, and the 'crusted' side is the only reason I reconsidered this particular piece. That side obviously melted somehow, and there are no volcanoes over there.

I'm not seeing any crust that you are referring to, nor am I seeing anything that looks melted. I see a nice desert patina, however.

When you say "there are no volcanoes over there" you are not thinking in a geologic context. How old do you think your rock is? How long has the land mass Kuait is on been where it is? Where was it hundreds of millions of years ago? The Earth is one of the most geologically active bodies in the solar system and it is possible for lava rocks to be found pretty much anywhere, even if there do not appear to be volcanoes around "today". For the past 10 million years until about 10,000 years ago there was large-scale basaltic volcanism in that area. I don't get the impression "lava rock" from your pictures, though.

The side that looks as if it could be regmaglypts sure is curious. Good luck with having it classified, I hope it turns out to be a meteorite, and you can find a lab with the time to look at it! :)

G'Day Rocco

Interesting what you have there but it's also interesting on the comments from Fred. How's it going mate? And Mike, you really are on top of things. Ok, let's get back to the situation.

What I can see here is interesting, being from a geological background, I have an immediate response. But since being involved in meteorites, I need to ascertain the situation. Both Fred and Mike have valid points. The inclusions that you stipulate must be random, not smooth but clean cut, random objects. We would all like to find something from the moon and mars, even though what we see in our random pick ups indicate a possibility. That's not to say that they are not. It can be tricky and scientists involved in this which have the availability of the tools required are the best bet.

Rocco, you have an interesting piece there. Your first comments on the regmalypts is one of my passions at the moment. I'm trying to nail down a system that could possibly indicate the actual speed and entry into the Earth's atmosphere. I've posted this many times on the IMCA and the Met List and I've received some interesting responses regarding fluid motion. What got me started on this was that I watched a program on caving and apparently they had a formula to work out how much water had gone through a cave because of the regmalypts left on the side of the wall. And they truly did look like regmalypts but they associated themselves with the amount of water that was rushing through these ancient caves.

So I thought, why not apply this to the regmalypts on a meteoroid on it's entry into the atmosphere. What's involved? I got a lot of responses on fluid motion and what's involved. So it shot everything out of my thoughts. But still, an interesting concept. But I still have not given up on regmalypts, their orientation, their depth and what scientific understanding that I need to deal with.

Yeah I know, I'm not up with the best and the greatest, but I try to hang in there ;) But there's definitely an interest on my half in regards to the formation of regmalypts.

I would definitely get your sample investigated. It definitely is interesting. Personally, I would at least get a start. But, I feel that it might be in vain. I can see your heart's there, like us all. But we've got to bear the facts and I've got a ton of rocks in my backyard that all show lunar / martian characteristics. But opening the mind is a very good purpose. It plays tricks. We feel we have a slab of gold, only to be a slab of brass. Only the best can find a happy medium.

Actually looking at your photos, I found that the regmalypts are not concurrent with an atmospheric entry. More like a water worn rock. Yeah I know, there's no water in Kuwait. But we're talking thousands of years. It could have been a lush oasis, tropical, rivers running, flood plains, multitude of volcanoes erupting magma. Who knows, we weren't there. We have to rely on the facts from those that are more knowledgeable than we are.

So here's a couple of pics out of a random selection of 20 kilos of NWA shrapnel which I've yet to go through. I look for a little portion that might have looked like yours

Travel safe my friend. Yours always,

Johnno

DSC_5019.jpg

DSC_5020.jpg

Thanks for the read an info Johnno! What I was referring to as a 'crust' is the bottom of this piece. It has a think layer of yellowish melted glass, but it is only on the side that was still imbedded in the sand. here is one spot of melt glass on the top left of the pitted side, and I admit they do not look like regmaglypts to me either. There is visible metal inside, and the interior is gret as is the outer portions with the exception of the layer of melt glass.

Johnno...you be too smart for me...a mathamatician, wow...and a deep thinker...I really wish we had a campfire chat occassionally...

you could talk, I would listen and learn...

Glass jaw...how do you determine that what you see is metal, does a magnet stick to it?

fred

Yes Fred it is magnetic, and I determined it to be metal and not magnetite but viewing it at 10X and 60X. Under 60X magnification, after leaving a small drop of water on some of the metal areas it developed a slight amount of rusting.

Chances are it is not a meteorite. I just want everyone to be clear that I don't really think it is. It is too 'funny-looking', and the whitish material inside is shaped wrong. But it could be, so i was asking if you seasoned hunters/dealers/collectors think I should give it a shot at professional testing. I am not holding my breath or bragging to buddies that I found some rare achondrite or anything, I am just placing a bit of hope in it being a meteorite as it does have some interesting features. Even if it is not, i am going to cut in in half and prepare it to add to my shelf of neat wrongs.

I packed some suspects pieces around for years asking for opinions...I showed it to Jim Smaller-aka-Paleface...bless his soul...anyway, this "iron looked the part and everyone said probably to almost certainly. I finally sent it to New England Meteoritical lab...www.meteorlab.com for $15 bucks they laid the issue to rest...so, assuming they are competent, I now KNOW it is just a piece of terrestrial, manmade iron...well worth the price.!!!

Fred

Johnno...you be too smart for me...a mathamatician, wow...and a deep thinker...I really wish we had a campfire chat occassionally...

you could talk, I would listen and learn...

fred

G'Day Fred

Sorry Fred, but I'm just a plain old Aussie. Deep thinker, maybe. Mathematician, that equals the average marsupial.

As for a campfire chat. We had one at Rich Hill, I think that one was breaking the ice and then we had the one at Gold Basin. You were up at sparrow's fart and Kat and I was just getting the fire up and running and a good coffee brewing. But I think if it came down to a good end of the day campfire chat, you would rule!

When I'm up against fine folk like yourself, I shut up and I listen and learn and laugh and walk away feeling fulfilled

Can't wait till the next time. Cheers, Johnno

P.S. Remember when that wind came up at GB and the whole campfire went airborne? That was some scary stuff

Waking up before the sun,is a relic from birth...born about 5:05 A.M.....it is a bit of a curse for people camping close to me...

yeah, I can still see the bits flying about....

I will feed you chili verde and tortillas anytime, just say where and when...Mate!!!

fred