Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Tailingville..

Guest Gripper

Guest Gripper

I ended up on a trip up to Folsom Ca and was blown away with the tailings that were there. I opted to be a passenger which allowed me to take in the epic mounds of dredge tailings that much of the town seems to be built on. All I can say is WOW. This place is one of THE spots. I almost died and went to heaven just looking at the opportunities. It was sweet. On my new found techy android phone I researched it and it looks like this has come up in posts from the past . All I can say is if you live in this area, give this stuff a go. Primo ground. Wish I lived closer to here.

Gripper

I have looked all over that area, it is just amazing to see what is left of a bygone area. My last house was right on the edge of those fields. Very difficult to detect, lots of iron and you can chase a target forever.

wanna see another good one check out the Hammonton dredge fiels just North of Beale AFB. It showes well on Google Earth

The Snelling tailings are only a few minutes from my house. It has not been very productive for detecting. There is a lot of trash and a lot of the tailings are on private property. Some of the tailings have been leveled for gravel and rock. A lot of gold is found as a byproduct of the gravel operations. It is generally more productive for gold in nearby Hornitos and Mariposa areas. Jerry

Guest Gripper

Thanks for the replies gents.

I've been to the Snelling piles and there is a lot of trash. Seems like not as many fines and lots of boulders. I gave up on them. The tailings I saw in Folsom looked like some stuff that has been fairly productive for me, but I am willing to dig a hunderd + trash targets for one piece of gold. The tailings are always a fall back when I really want to get a nugget and feel like dealing with tons of trash.

Pondmn I have a friend that has access to some of the stuff around Hornitos and he doesn't have any trouble finding gold there. Getting access to the private ground seems to be the key. Do you know of any public ground?

My folks live on Merced Falls Rd. right on top of the tailing piles. Never got much when I swing there either. My mother-in-law lives in Mariposa and we go down once a month to help out. Love the ride up Hornitos Rd. and drool over the diggin's I see there. Would love to swing on the creek running through it. If there is gold, I and my GB 2 will find it.

Guest Gripper

Jerry thanks for the tip. I have a friend that keeps telling me to head out there because of all the tailing piles. Thing is I didnt know if he was talking about hardrock or placer. So I haven't been out there yet. Thanks again, Brian

I have worked all over the surrounding area of those piles in Folsom. many big nuggets were and still are found here. I found one over an ounce here. Best detecting i have ever done is there, about 15 minutes away from home. Its tough to work now but i know of a few guys who still find big ones out there with the minelabs.

There is trash here but just like everywhere else. i have first hand knowledge of nice pieces from here, including stashs as well as gold coins.

I found a deringer pistol there years ago but it was pretty rusty.

Jerry

Welcome to Mariposa.........Poison oak reigns. Always wear longsleeve shirts and gloves. When I get home I strip and put the clothes in the washer and then imediately take a shower. Generally prevents poison oak. There is a wash for your hands and arms also that can be used in the field. The exception is Grubstake as he never gets poison oak. As for nuggets there is always another day. Today the last day of duck hunting this year resulted in one Canada goose and one mallard. Not a limit but a great day watching the sun to come up. Today had to be a good day with friends and family for you. Jerry

Hi guys

It makes me seriously wonder if those people were mining or just moving gravel so they

could litter and bury all of their trash it's hard to fathom how their could be so mutch per cubic yard and

they didnt even have all the modern stuff like foil wrappers pull tabs etc that we do now thank god...

Rodd

Rodd those dredges quit mining in the 1940's and they did not have the Environmental Protection Agency prior to that. The logical answer to trash created in the mining process was to bury it and since they were digging big holes with the dredge it was a no brainer to them. Some of the area we metal detect in was hard rock mined in the 1800's thru the 1930's and we find a lot of trash there also. Jerry

Pondmn

I know what you mean there old remains of cabins here,all you have to do when relic hunting is

stand at the remains and throw a can or bottle far as U can and thats where the dump will be..

Where I grew up on the farm ours' was about 4 times that far "dump regulations what's that in

the time

Rodd