Nugget Shooter Forums

Has the Lost Adams Diggings messed with mind

Rodd in B.C.

Bedrock Bob

Have you or anybody else ever entertained the idea of searching for the Lost Adams mine?

I have a lot of info on it ,copies of original newspaper clippings and a lot of books

one by W H Byerts even had copies of Arizona in the 1860 period wasn't too much

there then.. I think I'll ell all the stuff getting too young to be up to that anymore that

book Four Days to Fort Wingate is pretty good I had a chat with the fellow that wrote it..

I thought that maybe because you are close you might of had a hankerin.....

Rodd

I always thought this was a myth and I'm still skeptical.. The guy brags about it on a webpage but no pictures and nary a word in 10 years? Someone like that doesn't just disappear if the story were true,esp if two or more people were involved in the discovery. I just don't buy it.

Steve

Rodd,

I have been on several hunts with various people. I have a "second uncle twice removed" named Don Fingatto. He was a lead miner and spent many years in Brazil and Cosa Rica back in the 60's and 70's mining gold and silver. He was an authority on that story and was always investigating one angle or the other.

I would really appreciate any info that you have! While the story never kept me awake at night like it did for Don, but I just love that sort of thing.

I have been all over this state and have spent a lot of time in that area. In that stretch there are a couple of likely areas and a whole lot of unlikely areas for whopper nuggets. I do hunt the likely areas for nuggets and can do fairly well. If ther ever was a "Adams Diggins" besides the official address of "Adams Diggins, New Mexico" it was probably found a long time ago.

My personal feelings is that there were rich surface placers on the bedrock West of Alma in an area that has always been heavily guarded since the late 1800's. Near Steeple Rock. There is a huge sulphide deposit there left from the rapid erosion of an entire range of mountains. Nothing is left but the open end of a vein hundreds of feet wide and a couple miles long. No public land near it, no gold claims were ever recorded as it has always been held in private by various big mining companies. It all went down one direction when the Mogollons rose up and all those nuggets (if'n there were any) would have wound up somewhere north of where the San Francisco river crosses the Arizona border, and Northeast of the big Clifton-Morenci pit in Arizona.

Bob I am going down to Washington state tomorrow for a week so I'll get back to the topic more when I get back At one time I had all the topigraphic maps all the way from Gia Bend to the Rio Grand but a short while ago we decided to down size as we are going to sell the house and travel a bit and I know I threw them away,,,you never use something for 10 years throw it and next thing you need it LOL My wife had an uncle that lived in Taos NM he was an artist and belonged to the society of artists in Taos he was quite famous and painted native american art,has paintings in the Smithsonian Isstitute and elseware around the world (name was William Victor Higgins) If you have ask how much they cost you definatly can not afford one darn he forgot us in his will.. Ha Ha.. Rodd

I was talking to someone the other day. He said his friend found it and was living high on the hog in Prescott. Racking my brain. Might of been the old guy I bought some equipment from.

I was talking to someone the other day. He said his friend found it and was living high on the hog in Prescott. Racking my brain. Might of been the old guy I bought some equipment from.

I am still looking for that story......

You would be surprised how many from back east take extended trips out here treasure hunting. Glen recall the Dutch Hunters weekend. There were nutballs from all over the world there including Glen and I. Talk about nutballs