Nugget Shooter Forums

Dinosaur bone

Bucket

Not sure if many of you have any exp with fossels but I found what I think is a dinosaur claw yesterday out in the desert, its white with a coating of sand on it, should I attempt to clean it? Its roughly 5"long and 2.5 thick and it comes to a point so it could be a tailbone also.

post-1755-0-66321600-1326837773_thumb.jp

post-1755-0-85467500-1326837788_thumb.jp

post-1755-0-96579700-1326837811_thumb.jp

Bucket,

Great find!!

Hard to say what it is though, you need to get an expert to check it out, I did a little searching and came up with some site that have pictures of claws and teeth, which it could be either, i'm leaning towards a tooth because where it would attach to the hand or foot doesn't look like any of the claws shown on the sites and most of the claws are very curved, most of the teeth if not all of the teeth shown look to have been broken/separate from the root and most are rather straight like yours.

Anyway here links to some of the better sites/pictures I found. some are real and some are cast from real specimens.

http://www.dinosaurs...eth-n-claws.htm

http://www.angelfire...aurs/claws.html

http://www.dinolandp.../dinosaurs.html

Skip

It is a darn neat find. If you think about it, gold nuggets are still being formed and meteorites will always fall to the earth. But there are only so many dinosaur teeth out there.

The spot that you found that in is bound to have other fossils. That one is a whopper for a tooth. There are some big bones and a trophy skull out there somewhere!

In my expert opinion that is the tooth of a giant sandworm, an invertebrate. They only had one big tooth on the nose like a rinocerous and they ate nothing but peat moss and decaying forest material. So I would say the find would not be subject to any further inquiry. We can obviously see that this is the tooth of an invertebrate worm like creature from the early vagicene period.

...(Dig your ass off Bucket, I will try to keep 'em busy until you find that skull! It is for darn sure the peg like tooth of a big ol' meat eating monster!)

Thanks for the posts guys and after looking at the sites Skip put up now I have to re think this and lean toward a tooth, (You got a good eye Bob) because the claws tend to have more of a hook, this thing although sloped it's not really hooked much but it is attached to what looks like a knuckle then another 1/2 inch of more bone, I'll figure out a way to clean it and then I'll take another picture. It was in a very large wash so I don't suspect an intact skeleton would be likely.

Well put it this way, we were exploring in an area that might or might not be legal to take things like this or anything else out of, but we weren't there for prospecting we were just tooling around looking for cool areas to do some filming in and I saw it there on the ground so at that point i got two options... leave it for the next guy to run over with his truck or grab it and see what it is, at first I was just teasing the other guys by calling it a dinosaur claw but as we started to look closely at it, the prospect of it being some sort of fossil started looking more and more promising. It's one of those things where you think well what should i do throw it back?.....naw I'll keep it.

Heck I think I would go back and look around good, perhaps check on line for more info on what else has been found in the area as well. Likely collecting there is fine from what I can find to read as long as it is for your own collection if public land :idunno:

Bones not like gold so no scrubbing or chemicals needed. Just a fine dusting and good to go. My frontroom is loaded with plenty a toothy critters and prize them almost as much as gold--close that is but :brows: John

Outstanding find for sure..... The adventure begins

That is really neat! Looks like I need to do a study, so I'd recognize any dinosaur parts.

Looking at all those site photos, your find photos the shape and size....there is what they call "brow horn" too! Oh boy, you would have a major find if turned out to be one of them.

Well Red I guess the best I can do is clean it up a bit, re-take the photo's and then let the speculating begin, I think the guys were right though in that its not a claw but the bulge around the base looks like a knuckle joint so maybe as was said earlier a tailbone? anyway I'll clean it up soon and repost the photo's.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Red I guess the best I can do is clean it up a bit, re-take the photo's and then let the speculating begin, I think the guys were right though in that its not a claw but the bulge around the base looks like a knuckle joint so maybe as was said earlier a tailbone? anyway I'll clean it up soon and repost the photo's.

Did come across a tooth also, might just be that big.....hard to say, guess we can leave it for the experts to decide. Whatever it is, nice find!

I tried to clean it off last weekend, but the dirt packed around it was as hard as rock, I thought I would just be able to Dremel it off or sand it down but no way...it was way too hard, so I think I'll just have to leave it as is rather than ruin it.

Archived