Nugget Shooter Forums

More BLM Land To Disappear - Get Out Your Salazar Salve

I guess they are going to surprise us with the details...

U.S. and California officials said Friday they will fast-track approval of six solar and wind farms and a geothermal power plant proposed for public land as part of a clean-energy push.

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said his agency would continue a three-year-old collaboration with California to speed approval of renewable-energy projects and the transmission lines needed to connect them to the grid.

California utilities are required to use solar, wind or other renewable power for one-third of the electricity they sell by 2020, as part of the state's 2006 plan to fight climate change.

The Interior Department'sBureau of Land Management will fast-track approval this year of five California solar farms and one wind-power facility proposed for public land, according to the agency's website. Salazar said his agency would work with California to "identify needed transmission projects to track, troubleshoot and shepherd."

Since 2010, the BLM has approved construction permits for seven California solar-power plants and one wind farm on public land, and issued rights of way for transmission lines needed to connect five other solar projects to the grid.

Most of the projects have moved ahead, but the fate of three of the solar plants has been in question after the developers filed for bankruptcy.

In December, Millennium Solar, which obtained a permit to build a 1,000- megawatt solar-thermal power plant, filed for insolvency in Germany. The company turned down a $2.1 billion federal loan guarantee for the project and has been trying to sell that project and three others to another developer.

Stirling Energy Systems obtained BLM approval for two solar-thermal power plants, but filed for bankruptcy last year after it was unable to get loan guarantees to build them. A developer called K Road Power bought one of the projects and has asked federal and state regulators for approval to change the design of the facility to use solar panels instead of the technology originally envisioned.

The BLM will speed consideration of the K Road Project, along with five other California solar and wind facilities, nine solar and wind facilities in Arizona, Nevada and Wyoming, and two geothermal power projects in California and Nevada, according to the agency's website.

Project developers include NextEra Energy Inc. (NEE), First Solar Inc. (FSLR) and the wind-power units of BP PLC (BP, BP.LN) and Royal Dutch Shell PLC (RDSA, RDSA.LN), among others.

From http://www.nasdaq.co...-20120113-00866

Well I'm at a loss. Canada/Texas pipeline, illegals, what the hell? After tonight watching The Southern Republican Presidential Debate on CNN, I find the best candidates are here on Nugget Shooters.

I kid you not, you guys have more common sense and priorities than anybody that is running for the Presidency. I'm appalled, but then again I'm Australian. But you guys pull together, you have a lot going. Just stay straight. Wow, can you see it now? Mystery man from Nugget Shooters becomes President of the United States.

Cheers,

Johnno

Well I'm at a loss. Canada/Texas pipeline, illegals, what the hell? After tonight watching The Southern Republican Presidential Debate on CNN, I find the best candidates are here on Nugget Shooters.

I kid you not, you guys have more common sense and priorities than anybody that is running for the Presidency. I'm appalled, but then again I'm Australian. But you guys pull together, you have a lot going. Just stay straight. Wow, can you see it now? Mystery man from Nugget Shooters becomes President of the United States.

Cheers,

Johnno

I wouldn't want the job no matter how much it paid. :hahaha:

Steve

How would these solar and wind farms take away from your use of the public lands? They don't consume that much acreage, and unless they happen to be located in the middle of your honey hole what's the diff?

We have lots of wind farms going up around here. Big business. I cant see a hell of a lot wrong with it. Some folks dont like to look at the turbines and those who are close to them complain about the noise. That is why they locate them way the hell out. I dont see that it takes as much land away from me as a prospector as an open pit mine or a big company gobbling up little claims and not even mining it. It seems just like another profitable industry on public lands just like logging, mining, grazing or anything else.

Am I missing something here?

The problem as I see it is when they close areas to prospecting, then allow commercial development. Even after developed, I doubt if they would let any kind of prospecting happen, at least not with the current pinheads in cahrge.

I understand that the area they put the wind farm would be closed to mining. That makes sense. Just like an active mine would be closed to wind farms.

**Again, this is where it would benefit the hobbyist prospector to differentiate themselves from the "miner". There is no reason a wind farm could not be detected, or even mined by hand within certain limitations. But since we wont differentiate ourselves from "miners" and insist that there are no limitations we don't have much credibility.**

In either case it flies in the face of the "multiple use" concept when a private company is allowed to run a business on public land. Someone must yield and in all cases it is the public. I don't see the difference in impact to any private individual between a wind farm and a mine. It closes the area to the public for the benefit of private interest. But that is just business in the west.

I like the idea of a new industry that can utilize our natural resources. I am solidly behind mining, ranching, recreation related industry and generating power. We need it all. The jobs created and the electricity that is generated is worth more than any small bit of gold in that gravel for the individual hobbyist.

Besides, those wind farms are great hunting. Down by Willard at that new turbine field the deer are thick and you can get good acess to the mesa with all those new roads they put in. Maintained too, at least for the duration of the wind farm. And what was once public land surrounded by private land with no access has a brand new public road easement to it. So it isn't all bad.