Nugget Shooter Forums

Recreational gold panning parks

proudabu

Good question and I will see what I can find, in the meantime try looking at state parks in gold bearing areas in MT and ID and you may have some luck. Here in Arizona we have a state park at Lynx Creek that is open to panning and listed as same.

You shouldn't be looking for pay to play, typically. Most parks where recreational panning is allowed will be free, or run by the Forest Service/BLM for the day use fee.

Pay to play are normally, from my experience, private enterprises located on deeded lands.

There are a ton of creeks and such in western Montana that are in gold bearing areas and the only thing stopping you are federal mining claims. Do a little research on creeks in the Black Hills and Leadville districts and you'll find some areas not claimed up that are free to pan and sluice.

I can't recall the one I went to, but it was on the south side of Leadville and produced a little color in the few pans I ran. I didn't have time for much else or any other equipment, so I was happy with the little I got from a different state.

I did a little research and found a selection of areas that were both open to entry and unclaimed and went to the closest one during a business trip.

Yes staying away from the fee locations would be much better.

Hell, look for claim markers and just ask the owner if you can play a bit.

Some are happy to let you as long as you report your finds and find locations.

If you do a little research on your area and find the historical gold bearing spots then you have it 90% whipped. Most of those areas you can visit and with a little inquiry get on a spot that will get you started. You wont be working the best ground but you can generally find a claim owner or a club that has a few acres to play. From there you can branch out and learn the ropes of finding a better location. Sometimes that is by land research and sometimes it is by association with the right individuals. Either way it is not too difficult to get your foot in the door by simply knocking on it.

Would anybody by chance know a website that can tell you creeks and places people have found gold in the past...specifically for indiana or anywhere you could look at any state...I have been digging around and haven't been able to find a legitament website...any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Would anybody by chance know a website that can tell you creeks and places people have found gold in the past...specifically for indiana or anywhere you could look at any state...I have been digging around and haven't been able to find a legitament website...any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You should get a current copy of the International California Mining Journal (ICMJ). They have a great article on gold in Indiana.

You can get an online or hard copy subscription. http://www.ICMJ.com If you cannot, give me a bit more time with my current copy and I will send it to you. PM me in a couple of weeks to remind my old a failing neurons

• 11 months later...