Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold and Meteorites Today At Gold Basin

Met up with Jayray today at Gold Basin. It was a good day for the both of us. About noon the picture down below is what we found. Jason scored big on meteorites and a nice gold specimen. I got a nice 2.5 gram gold nugget, and 2 meteorites by the end of the day. Jasons finds are to the right, and my finds are to the left. Will have to let Jason tell you the weight of his finds.

P.S. While walking around hunting, Found an old Miners Camp from the 30's (2nd Pic) just above a wash.... Jason was this the one you also came across ????

Dave

post-1046-0-30149600-1326080298_thumb.jp post-1046-0-33680800-1326081121_thumb.jp

Looks like a great day......Congratulations.

Who got what looks like a "buckle". I have some info from Levi Strauss about it if you are interested?

Patrick.....

Wooo-Hoooo! Nice huntin'!!!! :wubu:

Hey there T.....are you frozen up yet....is it to cold to hunt the beaches there now? Got a cold snap going on here

also....1300 and 77°brrrrrr.....but I'm toughing it out in shorts...and T-shirt....

Thanks everyone.... Patrick, Jayray got the buckle,

Richard, you are invited any day. I am enclosing a closer pic. Jayray will have to do the same with his, as he has an awesome speciman he found.

Dave

post-1046-0-44830500-1326160277_thumb.jp

Howdy Folks,

I was at the GPAA outing yesterday and after waiting around for the weather to warm up I got a call from Dave. We decide to hunt together for the morning looking for meteorites. I had my son with me, him swinging the GBII and I the ML. About 10 minutes into the hunt, my son says, "Dad, it isn't working..." and started throwing a minor fit. Granted, he's 12yrs. so that is to be expected, I guess. The GBII was ground balanced, and good to go, but I guess Dad always makes it look easy, he thought he should score a meteorite right out of the truck. After getting him squared away, I promptly showed him how it was done and found a nice little 14 gram GB. From there it was hot and cold, getting a small piece here and there. Then I moved onto the desert pavement and Brayden says, (gotta love kids), "Dad, are we going do this back and forth thing all day?" I was going to grid it, and after the third pass, I said, "This is why we grid it Brayden," as I was pointing to the spot where the big one was laying about 5 feet away. I told him about using the sun angle, and he might have finally got it by me showing him that monster. It weighed in at 230 grams on the dot. That is my biggest GB to date. I was pretty happy. After that find I was good to go. But as luck would have it, I found a few more pieces, some nice sized one, then I got a signal and thought, another meteorite.

But as it turned out it was a nice specimen piece of gold. It was tucked up under a bush about 2" down in the clay. I really thought it was a meteorite because of it's sound and after finding some GB's on the surface or just below, it had to another. Dave had just called me on the radio stating he found a nugget too, but I hadn't mentioned it yet to him. So after I met up with him to show me his nugget, I took mine out and and he was surprised just as I was. After a few moments gawking, we split and I decided to hit a wash. I haven't had too much success in washes, but in this one I did find a Levi Strauss rivet and about 10 ft up further, I found the buckle.

All in all a good day hunting. I found a total of 11 meteorites, weighing 446 grams all together and a 5.9 grams specimen nugget. BTW, I was using the GP3500, with the 7x14" mono coil.

Here are the finds:

DSC08064.jpg

DSC08053.jpg

DSC08054.jpg

DSC08055.jpg

The small little washer, clip thing in the photo is what my son found in one of the washes. I tried to boost his ego, stating that was a good find, and he should be proud, but he wanted a meteorite or some gold. Maybe next trip. I'm currently letting the nugget soak in some C2H4O2 (vinegar) to clean it up. Tomorrow I'll post a pic if it gets cleaned.

Jason

Hello Jason. I can't seem to get the pics loaded showing the Levi's.

Miss, Ms, or Mrs.? Lynn Downey (very neat gal), the Levi Historian told me my buttons and buckle (like yours) came from a pair of their "waist overalls" in the 1880 - 1891 era. These were Levi's without belt loops, just buttons to attach suspenders. They sold suspenders, but did not manufacture them.

Here is her E Mail addy: Downey, Lynn <LDowney@levi.com>

She would like to receive any pics of Levi buttons, rivets, buckles, etc., anyone may find in the field. And also the location if you don't need to keep it a secret.

Patrick.....

You guys have shown me enough of them that I knew what it was as soon as it was in my hand. Everyone at work had 2 things to say, how do you know that it's a meteorite and how much is it worth. They thought it was cool that the find was on meteorite man.

post-1061-0-22527800-1326251200_thumb.jp

Nice find Greg, your 5000 should have screamed on that beauty. Congrats on the first meteorite find. Will have to run into you sometime out in the basin.

Dave

Greg, yeah congrats!!!! You need to get back to Franconia ad get one of those now...

All, here is a pic of the gold semi-cleaned up from sitting three days in vinegar.

DSC08069.jpg

DSC08070.jpg

Jason

Dave I can't believe we haven't trip over each other yet. One day I'm going to catch you down there.

Jason next on my list is a piece of gold like you have there. Those are so cool looking.

And then of course one day to join the ouncer club. :head:

• 3 weeks later...

Dave and Jason, Outstanding finds guys, and gold to boot !!! Lord there is no stopping you two!!. Jason 230 grammer, sweet!! I'm glad for your continuing efforts to train the next generation of meteorite hunters. Greg, congratulations on your first GB find!!! Good Hunting!! Clifton