Nugget Shooter Forums

Battery for Keene DW212V puffer drywasher

azaufinder

I've been enjoying this forum and all the wealth of prospecting information for a few months now. Thanks to all who are contributing.

This is my first post so I hope I'm doing this right.

I just bought a used puffer drywasher ( Keene DW212V ) but I don't have a battery for it yet. I know I could use a 12V car battery, but I'd like to keep the weight of the equipment to a minimum when I'm hiking from the where I'm parked to where I want to prospect. I'm trying to find out if a lighter 12V motorcycle or lawn tractor battery give me enough charge to run it for about 4 hours. ( I normally do day trips ) I'm also considering a lithium Ion battery.

Any recommendations or reports about your own experiences with batteries for puffer drywashers will be appreciated.

The battery I use measures roughly "4x"4x"4 light as a feather and It works great and fits in my jacket pocket, I've got a video where we are working the Thompsons drywasher and at the 45 second mark it shows the battery I normally use.

I recommend an AGM battery as they are spillproof, reliable, hold a charge in storage for a longer period than most other types, durable and have good longevity. LION batteries may be better for more charge versus weight but also more suceptible to damage and cost is much higher. Here is a website that may help calculate the size you may need:

http://www.alternate-energy.net/calcbat06-2.html

Many of the older Keene Puffers employed 24V DC motors -- the kind used to propel wheelchairs. By using a 12V battery, the motor supposedly gets a longer life and less chance of overload burn-out. My 12V gel automotive battery runs my Keene Puffer for several days @ 5 -- 6 hrs of run time per day. It only is rated at 36 ampere hours, so I try not to run it more than 18 hours total before re-charging. Bottom line: You probably could run your used Keene with a small tractor battery for at least 4 hrs with no sweat [well, at least if'n you have someone else on the business end of the shovel]. Hope this helps.

Wow! Great inputs. You've answered my concerns. Sounds like a small sealed AGM type Tractor or Motorcycle battery will do the job for me.

I bought the drywasher used, and I can't find a rating identification plate on the motor so I don't know the current requirement or rating of the motor. It works using my 12V small Toyota pickup battery so I assumed that all Keene puffers used the same 12V motor - at least until I read Micro Nugget's interesting post above about the 24V DC motors on older Keene Puffers. I'm not sure how old mine is but I think the previous owner bought it in 2003. Just for my own information, I'd be interested in finding out if Keene used a 24V motor at that time if anyone knows.

The important thing is getting out to the claim to use the machine to find the gold. I was so anxious to use it that I went out Monday and ran about 4 buckets of material classified 1/4 inch) thru the machine using the hand crank. Good exercise - works great and I got a few colors. Can't wait to get out there again.

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

This forum is great ---- After I made the above post (8:24pm), I went back to the Forum and noticed tonight's Dakota Slim's reply to his "Slim Scores a Drywasher" January 2007 post. There is so much information in that string that I will never be able to absorb it all. It's like it was all being written just for rookie drywashers like me. The information that those guys passed along is timeless, and their legend is still alive.

Thanks, Dakota Slim, and thanks to all (past and present) who make this forum possible.