Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MacGump

Ear plugs---Advice

Looking to but some near earplugs/earbuds.

Anyone know of more detector friendly models.

Been using hi end music types. Does the trick but not very durable.

My anglo skin burns up quickly in this sun--even with buckets of SPF110 on--- so I like to use ear plugs and keep my Tilly hat on.

Your question is a little confusing. You say earplugs, but then you say ear buds? I have tried skullcandy earbuds, and I hated them due to all the noise from the breeze, and I could hear the wires moving and stuff.

I use the Dollar store ones most of the time.

Keep about 6 pairs in the van.

$1.00 a pair, Works for me.

Your question is a little confusing. You say earplugs, but then you say ear buds? I have tried skullcandy earbuds, and I hated them due to all the noise from the breeze, and I could hear the wires moving and stuff.

I'm open to either. I've used up my old "studio" guitar earplugs---form fitted to ear but too expensive to bring down several pairs. Searching on line I've seen several "sport" earbuds, some over the ear "earphones". Advances in that kind of stuff are usually a couple years ahead in the states and as prospectors go they usually work out the best stuff sone after.

HF-- that's my default position. Gone thru the batch I've brought down.

Mack here what I've been using for several years now....wonderful but pricey....I buy them from a hearng aid company

in Okla. City....$200.00 per set...

post-300-0-32450600-1325546471_thumb.jpgpost-300-0-38274100-1325546515_thumb.jpg

Yea, Can't wear over the ear stuff here. You have to know what's going on around you down here.

Just a tip for in the ear users…….

Earbuds are a good way to get an ear infection with all the dirt and dust associated with tecting.

Be sure to keep them clean and your ears also.

Dang, They keep the dirt out of my ear holes! LOL

Your right nvchris....sometime back I saw a report on the Internet that any kind of ear plugs increase the

bacteria in your ears by 700%....that's why I use Q-tips and alcohol to clean the ear plugs and about every

two weeks I fill my ears(one at a time) with Hydrogen Peroxide for five minutes and then alcohol to dry them

out....now after three years use no problems....

Alcohol in the Ear Hole? Eaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! What Ya Say?

So, no more cutting up raw chicken for the BB-Q and heading off detecting?

No problem HF....I use an eye dropper....found out their hard to find since druggies use them....lay on my side

fill that ear full of Peroxide and wait 5-10 minutes....then with a large syringe and warm water flush out the wax or hornets nest and fill the ear with alcohol then drain that out

immediately....it's only to dry the inside of the ear....

Dredgers use several different concoctions that normally have a mixture of alcohol and other things....

Koss makes a nice set which are connected together by a plastic moulded piece that wraps around the back of yer neck. Good sound , doesn't interfere with a hat and stay in place.

Last time I bought a pair at Radio Shack about 10 bucks.

I use JVC ear buds . They seem to have the best tones .

I have a set of BOSE IE2 in ear plugs and love them for summer use. Still prefer over ear style so I can get in the "zone" I can't fully concentrate with the noise of wind, scrubbing coil, birds, etc. distracting me while hunting.

An old New England remedy for cleaning ears is warm glycerine dropped into the ears with an eye dropper ... it melts the wax ... after 15 minutes or so flush with warm water from a large rubber syringe ... CAREFUL though don't squirt it too hard as you could do more damage than good to your hearing. You need just enough pressure to flush the ear ... you're not power washing the vinyl siding on your house! To be a bit gross ... if you want to see how much wax really comes out flush over a large collection bowl (the wide's bread mixing bowl ... just don't tell her what you are using it for) or into your sink with the stopper in place in the drain. If you are anything like my earwax production you will wonder how you ever heard anything through all that wax!

Mike F

Mike that is great info.....thanks for the advise on the warm glycerine.....I have the same problem you do....warm water just

doesn't cut the wax out....

Who knows what's right anymore I went to my doctor about wax in my ear and he didn't do a darn thing except

coment about the amount, When I was a kid my mother put warm peroxide numerous in my ear times when done after a few minutes

just tipped my head over and let run out never bothered my hearing at all,maybe I have blond ear drums 63 years later.

A word of caution there are several different strengths of peroxide I have a food grade peroxide that is 35 % H2 02

I got some of it on my thum took all 3 layers of skin off!!! even after washing it off didn't make me too happy not the

stuff to use for sure.. You only have 2 so take care of them while you can..

Rodd

Don ... Just remember that is just pharmaseutical grade glycerine ... It ain't 'nitro' glycerine ... you're only trying to clean the ear not blow a bigger hole in your head! :inocent::tisk-tisk::idunno::inocent:

Mike F

Rodd I've been using the drug store peroxide for years as a gargle and disinfect....it's a 3% solution and even then

the instructions say to dilute it 50/50 with water......

Mike someone on this forum a few months ago said they have used the glycerin as a preservative on rubber...so

now I use that in place of silicone spray on rubber gaskets and face mask....seems to work good....and again

much thanks for the info using it for wax removal.....

THAT WAS ME, I'VE USED GLYCERIN FOR YEARS TO TREAT RUBBER AND SIMILAR MATERIALS.

THE ONE YOU BUY OFF THE SHELF AT THE DRUG STORE IS ACTUALLY A SKIN TREATMENT.

LIKE THE LOTIONS MOST PEOPLE BUY TO TREAT DRY CHAPPED AND ROUGH HANDS.

A friend of mine once said he used a mixture of rubbing alcohol and vinager. Would put a few drops in each ear.

Whylee that's an old fix that dredgers use to keep the bacteria and infections down.....

After as much research as possible on the net..

I'm going to pick up a pair of Telex HFY-91---they seem to be very popular in Oz.

Being a "under the chin--behind the neck" should solve the problem of wind/cord noise. I'm guessing with the foam ear-pads that should help with the wind also.

The 1/4 jack is nice also.

I have to post a field test after i get back.

Hey, I solved the problem of having to wear those heavy, bulky, HOT ear phones! I have a Whites MXT and it does not have a volume control. I went to Fred Meyer and bought a pair of ear buds, they cost about $10. Forgot the brand name but they are black with a gold band around them. I also bought a 1/4 inch jack with volume control at radio shack for about $15. When I put it all together and used them on the detector it worked like a dream. Just make sure you get the ear buds with the rubber tip, the circular plastic ones WILL NOT stay in your ears! I've used these for over 6 months now and they're still going strong. I'm very hard of hearing but can hear every sound that detector makes using earbuds. I've used headphones also but they give me a headache every time and make my ears sweat off my head....lol Sound is very clear and precise with these ear buds yet I can hear whats going on around me much better than with earphones. My advice.......don't buy the most expensive pair of ear buds OR the least expensive ones. Get the ones selling for around $10 - $12, couple them to a good quality 1/4" jack and you've got your answer

Hi Guys I live in the desert and headphones get to hot and I really don't like the clamping pressure.

I tried many diff. ear buds with crappy sound, and then came across these. They are made for voice so they don't have any bass, they are crystal clear for MDing, under chin so no problem wearing a hat. Very comfortable. The best part they cost about 25 bucks.

Caliber transcription headset by Insight Headsets features crystal clear audio and inline volume control with stereo/mono switch. Completely redesigned, it is ultra lightweight, less than one ounce and comes complete with a 5' cord and 5' cord extender.

Here is there link::: You can find them on Amazon...all so.
http://www.transcriptiongear.com/tra...-headsets.html

post-27500-0-97994800-1432214864_thumb.j