Nugget Shooter Forums

I just received amazing news today!

I got a response after several posts on local threads about the Averasboro battlefield here in Cumberland county N.C., and a local man who has a friend who owns private land on a decent portion of the battlefield has agreed to bring me along this weekend to hunt the battlefield! I have been here on Fort Bragg for almost 7 years now waiting to hunt an area even close to this spectacular, and I have finally gotten a chance at one of the greatest Civil War battlefields in N.C. I will post many pictures of my finds, and if I don't have much luck, I will still provide photos of the landscape itself. It has been very mild weather-wise here, so the hunting should be amazing!

That is cool, I can't wait to see what you may find!!

Here's a link to a site with a little history and a battle map of this CW battle, maybe it will be of some help, if you haven't seen it before, click on the map to enlarge it.

Skip

That is cool, I can't wait to see what you may find!!

Here's a link to a site with a little history and a battle map of this CW battle, maybe it will be of some help, if you haven't seen it before, click on the map to enlarge it.

Skip

I'd love to see it AU, but you gotta post it first! :D

I guess the link would help :idunno:, huh? :hmmmmm:

http://thomaslegion....averasboro.html

Skip

I'm going to give it a look. I haven't spoken with the man who contacted me in person yet, just via E-Mail, so I don't know exactly where his buddies' land is. I am just honored to be able to detect this place after being so close to it for almost 7 years. I know the battle consisted of more than 25,000 soldiers with over 1,500 casualties. So this place is literally going to be littered with relics. Let's just hope I can learn my detector well enough to dig some good targets, but even if I go out there without knowing my machine I look at it as I will be digging pretty much everything which should increase my chances of finding something in my opinion. :)

Good Luck and remember DIG IT ALL, Don't worry about whats a "good" target untill you have it in your hand.

X2

Bring a small note pad---map objects as you dig and the battlefield will "unfold" for you.

Remember that it doesn't need to be a saber/uniform button/musket ball to be valuable. I once dug a bridle that I figured was worthless and pack it out as trash---paid for a Colt.

Like Frank says dig it all...if you have a GPS get the waypoint for each target you dig...then later plot that

target (s) on Google Earth and print off a map with the area and the waypoints....

Wish I was going with you....good luck and have a ball....

My great ol'bud Irwin Lee(RIP) was in on the detecting of Custers Last Stand and you dug nothing,just flagged for proper preservation,logged into GPS and all pertinent info also. Preservation of these old battlefields is important so that the soldiers story may be told and not died in vain-just my take for our kids futures-John

No offense but I find it difficult to believe an area like that hasn't been detected already- at least some anyway. I really doubt if it's virgin ground... But post your finds regardless.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck.

Steve

I may have written my post wrong. I know it's not virgin ground, and it has been hunted a lot. But it is privately owned land, and not considered part of the federally-owned 'monument' and museum, etc. What I meant was as far as I know it has not been heavily excavated by an archaeological team. Does that make sense? (Not being rude or sarcastic, I'm seriously asking if you understand my meaning)

Like Frank says dig it all...if you have a GPS get the waypoint for each target you dig...then later plot that

target (s) on Google Earth and print off a map with the area and the waypoints....

Wish I was going with you....good luck and have a ball....

I would love to have you with me as well! I have little experience with a detector, and it is mostly due to not having a hunting buddy around here. I like doing outdoor stuff alone, such as hiking, but when it comes to hunting of any type I would much rather share the experience with a friend. And trust me when I say, with my determination and outright love of hunting (not to mention my lack of metal detector experience!) I plan on digging EVERY target. Well most of them anyway... No matter how small or worthless my finds I will post them. I have had my detector for over a year and have found nothing but nails and pieces of trash, then again I have literally only brought it out hunting 2 or 3 times for about an hour each time. All my finds that I have posted here were all by eyeball alone. I hope beginner's luck will still apply to me, although as long as I have been hunting I'm not a beginner.

My great ol'bud Irwin Lee(RIP) was in on the detecting of Custers Last Stand and you dug nothing,just flagged for proper preservation,logged into GPS and all pertinent info also. Preservation of these old battlefields is important so that the soldiers story may be told and not died in vain-just my take for our kids futures-John

I can make one promise. And that promise is I will NOT sell anything I find out there. If it is a very significant find, I will donate it to the Averasboro Museum. You all have my word. But if it is a common, but valuable item (IE I find 3 coins worth a couple hundred or more) I may sell one of them (NEVER will I sell the first of ANYTHING I find) simply to fund more trips to other hunting grounds. Being a young father of two, who is now being medically retired and permanently disabled, I will need all the money I can get until I can find work and start school. My VA compensation is VERY low.

But for me this is all about the hunt. To this day I still have never sold any of my finds, even though I am sure something I have found, saved, and mounted could be sold for a decent sum. If I could choose what I find, I am looking for nice coins that are pre-1900 (Unless they are gold, I have yet to find any gold), C.W. buttons from either side, and a belt buckle. These are pretty much my 'Holy Grail' Civil War relics. I tend to favor smaller items that can be displayed with several to a small shadowbox. I know the way I am describing what I wish to find and how I intend to find it like a rookie, but hey, every treasure hunter has to have a goal, right? :P

Battlefield sites from the War of Northern Aggression are going away fast. Major sites have already been turned into federal or state parks and are perserved. Digging on private land is perserving something that just may be under a new subdiv in the coming years.

Many of the battles took place at crossroads/major homesteads----which without the battle left behind their own goodies.

I spent years beeping the last traces of the Federal Road thru north GA. Kept things that I interested me and sold what others wanted more than me---I figured if someone is paying a price for something they will "perserve" it and the history too.

Just before I moved here I got word they where going to build some houses on a spot I knew to be part of the battle for Atlanta. All that was left to the naked eye were trash filled lots--lots of nice stuff came out of there before they covered it over with some cookie cutter houses and bermuda grass. Pretty much the whole west side of Atlanta is nothin' but the 'hood. No perserved battlefields at all. None. Think of all that history covered over.

Any chance you get to beep such properties--jump on it!

If it is in a place like west Atl. Wear police gloves---darn needles and crack pipes everywhere.

If you've only spent an hour here and there with your detector in the past then this is a perfect oppertunity for you to become one with it. You don't need a partner or companion.

Put in the hours on end with it make your mistakes and learn the hard way as most of us have.

You will progress just by spending 4 5 6 or 8 hours a day with that detector swinging and recovering targets. There is NO substitute for hands on experience.

Do that for a few weeks and you will be accustomed to the pros and cons of the model detector you are using.

Go over a predetermined area see what targets are there then go back over the same area but change the settings on the detector and see if you can find more.

I have a throwdown chondrite meteorite, a throwdown Canyon Diablo iron meteorite, a bronze Iraqi throwdown coin, a silver throwdown, a white-gold chain throwdown, a worn zinc penny throwdown, a worn wheat throwdown, and brass slug throwdown. Before I really get swinging I am going to bury each of my throwdowns at a depth of 3-4 inches, and write down the numbers/target ID's in my handheld notepad to give me a rough idea of what I may or may not be digging. Once this is finished I should have my detector 'calibrated' how I want it for the day, and I still plan on digging EVERY target I find, and recording depth, it's number, and what it was ID'ed as on my detector so I can cross-reference at the end of the day. This was frank, when I head down to AZ this April I will have a much better grasp of my detector, and I will know it's meteorite capabilities as well as some great field-testing.

No matter what I will provide a good hunting story if the hunt happens, and provide some nice, clear photos.

I went out to the private property on the battlefield, but only came away with a few small finds. The landowner said his farmland has been heavily hunted with detectors for about 20 years. It is one of the only places on the battlefield site that is not protected. Oh well, I had fun, and I took a few nice pictures. Enjoy!

My finds from Averasboro Battlefield, on private property.

From left to right, and unidentified copper plate, unidentified copper item, unidentified copper brad (?), a copper button, a Confederate Enfield 51 caliber bullet, 2 pieces of copper - unknown purpose, two pieces of 'camp lead'.

Averasboro1.jpg

And here's a couple more to show the unidentified pieces with more detail

Averasboro3.jpg

Averasboro2.jpg

Anyone with ideas about what this copper plate, unidentified copper 'brad' and and small piece, and button are, please let me know!

The one almost in the center of the second picture looks like it is off of a boot. Not sure of the exact name but you run your laces through them. They are at the top of boots after the grommets.

No one on any of the forums I have posted on the photos can ID the button. It's still not ad cool as the 1861 Republic of Colombia button I found near Fort Bragg by eye when I was scouting locations to hunt. I wonder if this button was put on a Confederate uniform. I know they used what was available, and the time period fits. It has survived well for being a surface find. This picture has the button, a bus token (I don't know how old it is), and two hide scrapers including one made from pottery.

NCfinds.jpg