Nugget Shooter Forums

Best Meteorite Men Episode Yet?

Just finished watching it. Was an good and I like the fact that they showed how hard it is to find a meteorite. I laugh a little when Jeff got mad and pounded the ground when he was not finding anything. Still one of the best i've seen that is close enough to visit. Now time to google some info on both.

Pretty good show, they should have had Nate return the next day also...

Pretty good show, they should have had Nate return the next day also...

I'm pretty sure Geoff said Nate couldn't return the next day, but I would assume it was a work-related or previous engagement that kept him from coming out the following day.

I don't know Geoff or Nate, that's just what I got from watching.

I really enjoyed the episode because it gave me an idea of what I will be up against on my first strewnfield hunt as I will be heading to G.B., Franconia, and Holbrook in a 10 day period. If I am lucky, and my eyes are keen enough, I will come out with something. No matter what I find I will treasure my first meteorite, although I wouldn't mind a bit of gold as well! If I find more than one meteorite I will have to sell a few to fund another trip, but no matter how big or rare the first find I make I will never sell it, and it will be the pride of my collection.

I'm probably the only avid meteorite hunter on the planet that thinks the Meteorite Men shows, unfortunately, are tedious and tiresome to watch. The hunting locations are great, and Geoff and Steve are good (Geoff's better...no Yea"s and Great's and shouting over finding a 5 gr. rock), but the shows' production values are terrible. It seems about every 5 minutes the announcer repeats where they are, and that they (Duh!) are looking for meteorites in (Duh!) the place they've told us about 5 times already. In 44 minutes of the actual show, we seem to get about 20 minutes of true hunting tips, close-ups of meteorites, etc.

Sorry for this negativity, but I'll bet there are others who agree with me. I'll keep watching because the concept is great, as are the various locations shown, and let's face it, I'm hooked.

I agree with what you are saying, but I think a lot of that has to do with the audience the show is geared towards. They also have to define a strewn field and show how a metal detector works in every single episode, and while I don't need to see that stuff over and over and over it's for the general public's consumption, not us enthusiasts. A meteorite hunting show made for meteorite hunters to watch would be unwatchable to the other 99% of the viewing public I would guess.

Good analysis, and I agree basically. However, I think even the general public would prefer a faster paced show, without so many repeated and repeated statements of obvious facts. As I said, a show about finding and describing actual rocks from space is a great concept. Just give the idea to a better production company and increase the TV audience tenfold.

Karl, mostly they do that for a time filler...they don't get much exciting footage and would only have a five minute show without the repetition.

The thing I detest is the constant yammering about the VALUE of these rocks...GlasJaw don't expect to get the values they claim...unless you find a real whopper...do it for the fun...

fred

I have never seen this program. I hear people mention it in conversations quite often.

From what I see all of you saying I guess its a good thing I never got to see an episode.

I think "living it" is much better

Fred...thanks for your comments. I know they have to fill time, but I still think they could do a more interesting, better paced show.

@fredmason, I know they aren't worth much, unless I pull a Lunar, Martian, Diogenite, etc. What I meant by selling a few to fund another trip is I will need to sell a few to have extra cash TOWARDS my next trip... :)

I know all about values, locations, types, etc. I have researched them for years, and my collection is probably 50-60 pieces strong. I just haven't had to privilege of hunting a known strewnfield, or the American Southwest for that matter. I have done hundreds of hours of hunting, but this includes relics, meteorites, mushrooms, and anything else I find exciting. I would say out of the hundreds of wrongs I have picked up 'cold', I have 3 or 4 that could very well be meteorites, and only one I think is the absolute 100% real deal. I got my first meteorite about 12 years ago, but only really got heavy into researching, hunting, and collecting them about 3-4 years ago.

I value everyone's help, insight, criticism (Both rude, and constructive) it is all well-received I promise you. As far as the show goes, I admit, I too am pretty bored throughout most of it. I would benefit more from, as well as enjoy the show a lot more if they had more hunting than talking. But I agree with fred, that they probably don't have much exciting footage. Most of the footage they get is two guys walking random terrain either looking at the ground, or swinging/dragging a coil. I do get tired of hearing the description of a strewnfield, and the announcer stating what an iron/stone meteorite is, but it is necessary for those just tuning in, children, and newbies alike. I do think the show also keeps it a bit boring to show realistically what it is like to hunt meteorites, even with trained eyes, knowledge, and a ton of equipment. The guys even get skunked or come out with very little. I do like that. It tells you for certain that pieces weren't 'planted' there for ratings and excitement. But all in all, I watch it every week, even the boring parts. It increases my knowledge of HOW to hunt certain places, even though I won't ever get to go to a lot of the places they go, but it helps me to know places I will. For example, Franconia. That show kept showing a map of the 5 different meteorite find locations. (I know the original pieces are scattered over the whole area) It showed a large concentration on the far side of the strewnfield, and also Nate pointed out that he hadn't hunted over there much, and lo and behold Geoff found two over there. This makes me want to head towards the hilly terrain on that side and focus most of my time there as opposed to the easier flat spots. As far as Holbrook, it all looks to be the same. So I plan on just having a go at it and covering as much ground as possible on all sides of the strewnfield.

I'm probably the only avid meteorite hunter on the planet that thinks the Meteorite Men shows, unfortunately, are tedious and tiresome to watch. The hunting locations are great, and Geoff and Steve are good (Geoff's better...no Yea"s and Great's and shouting over finding a 5 gr. rock), but the shows' production values are terrible. It seems about every 5 minutes the announcer repeats where they are, and that they (Duh!) are looking for meteorites in (Duh!) the place they've told us about 5 times already. In 44 minutes of the actual show, we seem to get about 20 minutes of true hunting tips, close-ups of meteorites, etc.

Sorry for this negativity, but I'll bet there are others who agree with me. I'll keep watching because the concept is great, as are the various locations shown, and let's face it, I'm hooked.

I enjoy the program, and learn some about meteorites in nearly every episode. This most recent one in Franconia and Holbrook, places I've actually been to, was pretty good. I did not like how the narrator, probably because of what the writers or producers told him, played so loose with the compass and geography. Little things like, Holbrook is in the Mojave Desert, it's not, it's on the Colorado Plateau. And how about Holbrook being Southeast of Franconia? Wrong again!

Now I wonder how much of what was said on the other episodes was similarly bogus.