Nugget Shooter Forums

I am finally getting discharged from the Army after 7 years (Blew two disks, being discharged with disability) and I now have the time and funding to make a trip around March/April of 2012 I am looking at Texas or Arizona as my hunting grounds, but I am willing to head out as far as Nevada if necessary. My injuries prevent me from doing any serious mountain hiking, but as long as the pain clinic can toss me some low-dose Percocet or Vicodin I am still able to walk, dig, and magnet-cane my way across some hardpan. I am looking for any of those I have spoken to on here or any other site to include the I.M.C.A., facebook, or Illinoismeteorites.com who would like to hunt with me as well as those who could point me in the direction of a good strewnfield to hunt. I know of most of the existing strewnfields, but if anyone could give me a little more info on them and would be willing to lead me on a hunt I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on spending a week in the field. (I will be camping a few of the nights if possible, but I have no issues with heading back to town if that is what is preferred) I do have a detector, but I wouldn't mind doing some cold hunts in dry lake beds or desert terrain either. If anyone is interested in coordinating a hunt please get back to me. I can be reached here, or at facebook.com/glassjaw667

Thank you for your time, your comments, and your tips!

SGT Daniel 'Rocco' Ames

GJ,

First and foremost, thank you for you time, trying to make America a better and safer place! As you have read, NV, AZ, and the Southwest is a great place to hunt for meteorites. Actually the choice is yours to make, on where you would like to hunt. AZ has Holbrook, Gold Basin, and Franconia for starters, not to mention too many dry lakes, blowouts, and hard pans to count. The weather is not too bad during your time frame and possibly once closer, maybe more will chime in. I would say if your looking at trying to get your first 'rite', choose a well known strewn field and go from there. If your looking at just putting some time in the field, well then, where do you want to visit? Most will help you in your endeavors, but again probably once it gets closer to that time frame. For now, I would study and try to research as much as you can, prior to coming or going where you want to hunt. Good luck, keep us posted and thank you again for your service.

Jason

The meteorite hunting around here is TOUGH. But if'n you were to head out this way you are always welcome. I have been following your posts for years now and I know you have the fever man!

Holbrook is a good place to start, easy hunting and no terrain problems. Just a suggestion. In the estern part of New Mexico and in West Texas there is a lot of opportunity. let me know what you are planning and I will do whatever I can to help you out.

Thank you for your service to us and our nation, and thanks to your family for their sacrifices while you served.

Arizona and Nevada and New Mexico have lots of dry lake beds, hardpan, etc. which are easy to walk and hunt on and most are public lands. Arizona also has the Franconia, Gold Basin and other strewn fields that are pretty easy hunting on more or less even ground, nothing steep. The Holbrook field is easy walking and hunting, but is under some inches of snow right now, and will be either very muddy or snow covered, not to mention cold and windy, probably for the rest of the winter. Holbrook is easy hunting, but tough finding, too.

Texas has some great strewn fields, and some dry lakes, but nearly everything is private land so getting permission to hunt is a potential problem. One of the drawbacks of recent publicity from TV shows like "The Meteorite Men" is that folks are becoming aware of the value of meteorites and are more reluctant to give permission to hunt, or require some contractual agreement to split the take.

As I always do, I suggest you check out the met. bull., www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php , to see where meteorites have been found and identify some areas of interest to you, then go from there. The met bull is searchable by state or counties in a state or by other means, and meteorites can be pinned and saved to google Earth as favorite places for later reference. It's not the end-all of information, but a good starting place.

If you get out to Arizona and need someone to go with, give a shout.

Rocco!

Hope the VA doesn't screw you over like is has many with your injuries.

The Holbrook 100th year Anniversary hunt is coming up. This would be a great time for you to hunt. There will be experts, professionals and idiots like me out there hunting and as stated fairly easy walking. Something you might want to plan for as a suggestion!

Simper Gumby,

Jim

Thanks for the input everyone! I am familiar with the Met Bulletin, and I have already been researching for years. I guess what my original post was intended to do was to ask folks on here if they would be willing to hunt with me or assist me in gaining an idea of which places to hunt before I drive down. I'd love to make a find, surely, but I wouldn't even mind just heading to some dry lakes where nothing has been found. For me it's all about the hunt and finding is just a bonus. I will maintain contact with those interested parties here, and as it gets closer to the time I'd like to hunt I will speak with those interested and set up a meet to hunt. I can say with almost certainty I won't sell what I find unless I make a huge haul, but I would only sell to fund another trip. :)

@Bob, I could easily be persuaded to head to N.M. instead of AZ, although AZ is probably my best bet so far for making finds. Texas would be a great place, but if I drive all the way there and can't get permissions it would make me quite upset.

Rocco!

Hope the VA doesn't screw you over like is has many with your injuries.

The Holbrook 100th year Anniversary hunt is coming up. This would be a great time for you to hunt. There will be experts, professionals and idiots like me out there hunting and as stated fairly easy walking. Something you might want to plan for as a suggestion!

Simper Gumby,

Jim

They DID screw me over with a 20% rating. When is the Holbrook hunt? I may adjust my schedule accordingly.

I forgot to mention the VA rated me 10% for head injuries incurred from two IED blasts which I am still taking medications for and battling headaches and mood shifts, but my Brigade is still holding, and will not forward my Purple Heart packet up to Division and up to HRC. These injuries are from 2007. It doesn't make sense that my records of treatment all indicate a substantial head injury, but my Purple Heart award has yet to move from it's stand-still at Brigade.