Nugget Shooter Forums

Whites Gold master II Good or Bad ??

zukiguy

My wife wants to do some detecting for gold and we bought a new never used Whites Gold Master II at a very reasonable price from the original owner, included a nice set of head phones also new. We are retired and on a budget and I just bought a new Gold Bug so we were looking for some thing inexpensive she could use on occasion. Does any one know if this is decent detector for gold prospecting ?

I used a Gold Master II for years and found a heck of a lot of gold with it. It is a fine machine!

The top of the line VLF machines today are only a little better than the old GMII, GMIII and VSat machines. The Whites Gold Master machines represent the pinnacle of the detector curve in my opinion. They were the Cadillac of machines in their day and are still able to hunt with the best of the VLF's. I still have the darn thing and it is worth more to me than it is on ebay.

If you get it over a flake of gold it will beep. If you get to know it well it will really do well. And it will go smaller, deeper, and run much quieter than a Gold Bug 1. I have a big Sierra Gold Max coil that just SINGS and will find them down as small as you want to deal with.

I always liked the sound of the GMII machine too. After a while using it I could tell you if it was a gold nugget and if it was a round slug or a ragged flake just by the sound. I don't beleive I have ever got that connected to a machine since. THAT is a huge factor in success too. That particular machine can really communicate with you.

A detector is what you make of it, don't remember much about the unit LOL but I have found gold with many and it was designed to bang it out, keep it tuned, coil on the ground, slow sweeps and the gold will jump into your poke..Good hunting Geo

Thanks for the fast reply, just went and told the wife what you all said and she is really excited !! :D

Yup darn good beeper and I used one for quite a while long ago and found my fair share of gold with it.... Can be a little noisy in very hot ground, but still workable.

I have owned and used several GM 2's...One of my favorite beepers ... The first one I owned found a nugget with the very first swing I took...I have used all the Goldmasters except the 4B and they all are really great goldfinders and every single one of them more than paid for themselves ...Cheers, Unc

I remember years back, while swinging a Whites Goldmaster in a nugget patch in the hot Nevada sun, I was exhausted from the getting up and down, while digging all those gold targets. I came to the realization finally, that it was time to quit for the day, when I thought to myself, "oh no, not another nugget".

Those are great machines, learn it, and enjoy it!

Gary

While we are all going on about one of our all time favorite detectors we need to mention White's GREAT customer service.

I traded a drywasher for my GM2 in about 1990. After 3-4 years of swinging it the coil cable developed a short. Sent it to Whites and they fixed me right up! I think the entire bill was $15

I found a mason jar full of nuggets using 6-AA batteries. Come to find out the machine takes 6 RECHARGABLE batteries and 8 regular batteries. I loved it when I was using 6 batteries...when I got rid of the "blanks" and loaded it with eight AA batteries the thing almost drug me around from nugget to nugget! I have always been tempted to wire a couple more up and see what it would do with 10!

White's QUALITY is great too. Good switches, knobs and components. Durable housings, and the coils are indestructable. No coil covers to buy, no aftermarket BS to purchase, just good old fashioned American craftsmanship. And they have a little flag on each machine!

Yo All...B.Bob, I sure do agree with you on both the GMs and the service from Whites...Only one thing I would make a qualifier statement is that, while almost all the Whites craftsmanship is awesome, there is one switch that totally sucks ... That is the toggle switch for iron disc on the GMT ... That thing sucks and breaks after a very short use ...Back when I was a Whites dealer, I sold quite a few GMTs and darn near every one of those sold had switches that broke... I replaced mine with a different quality switch, but it still is not all that satisfactory ... Other than that, Whites Rocks!!!!!! Cheers, Unc

Yo All...B.Bob, I sure do agree with you on both the GMs and the service from Whites...Only one thing I would make a qualifier statement is that, while almost all the Whites craftsmanship is awesome, there is one switch that totally sucks ... That is the toggle switch for iron disc on the GMT ... That thing sucks and breaks after a very short use ...Back when I was a Whites dealer, I sold quite a few GMTs and darn near every one of those sold had switches that broke... I replaced mine with a different quality switch, but it still is not all that satisfactory ... Other than that, Whites Rocks!!!!!! Cheers, Unc

That's good to knoiw Unc! I bought Frank's old GMT and I will be careful with that switch.

BB

Hey uncle Ron,,, I just checked out your map page and ordered the Luguna/Potholes map since my winter home is in the Yuma Foot Hills and the Lagunas is where I have been doing my gold detecting since i started this hobby. Been wanting to check out the potholes so this map will help. Thanks Zukiguy

Ya the GM2 is a great machine. twenty years old and still hitting nuggets. I use it to this day. The GM4 seems ok but i just dont like a meter. its all about the sound that I focus on.Worthless in my opinion ( meter on a gold machine).

That machine finds tiny, tiny pieces of gold and i dont see the need to buy a better machine other then maybe the depth.

I will never sell that GM2, hehe. Probably found around 7 ounces with that thing. Highly recommend the GM2. Seen one for 120 dollars the other day on craigslist. I paid 475 brand new so they hold thier value pretty good.

Jerry

An excellent detector! I was fortunate to get to use a prototype Goldmaster II early on in the Dale district by 29 Palms, Ca.

Jimmy Sierra had given one to my old friend "Woody" Woodworth to test. They didn't have the ID iron meter working yet.

Woody and I had been using the original Gold Bugs and Minelab GT16000. That Goldmaster II sure is hot on small gold.

You'll do well with it!

Hi Jim, Jim McCulloch here. You will perhaps recall that I drove out from the offices of "Treasure" magazine to meet you and "friend Woody" during the GM II testing. Ol' Woodhead was a wonderful guy, and a great mentor. That spot you and he were at is still producing gold, just fewer, and smaller. Did get a 5 and a 15 grainer the other day there. But not like Jack Ward's 1/2 ouncer found during the testing. HH Jim

After reading all the good stuff you guys say about the Gold Master II I am about ready to ditch this new Gold Bug I we just bought and try the wife's new Gold Master II. All the Gold Bug has been finding is lot's and lot's of trash detecting in the Luguna Mountian placer area. Zuki

In my humble opinion the GM2 is a Cadillac and the GB1 is a Chevy truck. I started with a GB1 and found my first nugget. But when I got the GM2 things began to get productive. Now. the GBII is a hell of a sensitive machine and I think it is a toss up (in my country) which is the better machine. I guess it depends on where you are at and the type of ground and gold.

If'n I had the choice between hunting with a GB1 or a GM2 there would be no question...The GMII is by far the superior machine for getting gold in my humble opinion. And although there are plenty of newer and better machines out there they represent marginal improvements in technology whre the GM2 represents a quantum leap over the machines that came before it.

There is a performance curve with detectors that has capability on the "x" axis and cost on the "y" axis. The GM2 has always been at the top of the curve. As machines get a little better with each generation the cost skyrockets. That hurts their efficiency curve. The GM2 just keeps getting more worthless but is a very fine machine. That makes its curve very steep. As far as the performance curve goes the GM2 shines.It will pay for itself with the very first piece of gold it finds. You must find a great spot and hunt for a very long time to pay for any of the new machines.

Very few begining prospectors can afford a top of the line machine and yesterdays detectors like the GM2 and the GB2 allow beginning prospectors a crack at the gold for a pittance. Sure there are better machines. You will pay many thousands of dollars for a machine and many hundrteds of dollars on aftermarket products to get a better machine than the GM2. And in my humble opinion you are correct about the GB1. It is not even in the same class as the GM2. You can always find a GM2 or a GB2 for dirt cheap nowdays and I would advise that you get one of each. The tiny coil on the GB2 and the monster Sierra coil on the GM2. They make a great team and that is the combination that I have used to recover hundreds of ounces of placer gold in a very unforgiving location.

"I have used to recover hundreds of ounces of placer gold" :gig:

Over 200 ounces. Of course not all was actually picked up by the detector but the detector certainly found the deposits and has been responsible for more gold than you have ever found in your life..

You are like a trout in the spring ElDorado. You will rise to almost anyhting. If you have something in your nose blow it out!

:hahaha:

well I suppose if you compare me to a trout I could compare you to a bull that is always shllting

Once again we were participating in a great thread and ElDorado just can't stand it. He has to get personal. He MUST confront me on some side issue of his regardless of the subject of the thread. He simply won't allow me to comment without trying to pick a fight. In this case he is insinuating that I am lying and that is not polite. Of course he offers no reason for his attack on me nor anything to substantiate his insinuation at all. This is just his M.O. He is just throwing a wrench into a great thread because I have offered my input. Like a child that cant build a sand castle that likes to kick over everyone elses sand castle.

I thought that my input in this thread was informative, polite, and from the position of experience. It seems that once again some folks are very jealous of that experience and input.

Since I can't really participate in any conversation on Nuggetshooter without a select few getting all puffy and feeling the need to crash the thread and turn it into a conflict I will give it another couple of months. If the babies here haven't grown up by now a couple of months won't matter, but they may see that their childish behavior only diminishes Nugetshooter while I have attempted to make it better.

See ya!

Hi Jim, Jim McCulloch here. You will perhaps recall that I drove out from the offices of "Treasure" magazine to meet you and "friend Woody" during the GM II testing. Ol' Woodhead was a wonderful guy, and a great mentor. That spot you and he were at is still producing gold, just fewer, and smaller. Did get a 5 and a 15 grainer the other day there. But not like Jack Ward's 1/2 ouncer found during the testing. HH Jim

Jim Mc., I remember that trip well! Great fun with great folks and gold to boot. It don't get much better than that! I sure miss "Woody" and Jack. I learned a lot from them. It's so good to hear from you.

Jim

Goldmaster II = lots of nuggets!!!!!!!!!!

Bedrock Bob, I really appreciate all the advise you have gave in this tread about the GM II and its bang for the buck performance. I bought the new GB I to get into the hobby and then I got the chance to pick up this GM II from the original owner who never used it at a fraction of the cost of the new GB. It turns out that this GM II was quite a bargain being bran new and in perfect working order. I and am going to take it out tommorow and begin to learn how it works. Will have to show the wife how to use it any ways so why not start now. Your right, I think I will look for an old GB II as well to put in my gold hunting arsenal, I just missed one on ebay the other day, it seems to be very similar to the GM II in design. When I first decided about 4 years ago to get into this hobby once we retired and moved down to Yuma I had done some research and every one was raving about the VLF machines so thats why I bought the new GB I. The guy who sold me the GB I said that the GM II was not as good as the GB I because it operates on a higher frequncey that the GB I when I told him I had bought the GM II. Like your saying, there are some high cost machines out there but I cant afford them cause we are living on a fixed income and only have so much to buy toys with. I got nothing but time on my hands and getting skunked every time I go out gold hunting I learn some thing new and also have a blast 4 wheeling the trails up in the Luguna's in my Zuki . :D

Archived