Nugget Shooter Forums

New to Meteorites and the Forum

Greetings to All :D --- introducing myself, name is Bob and have become interested in learning about meteorite hunting.

Some history: Long time outdoorsman including hunting, fishing and relic hunting.

Been reading for a while on the site here and have found it very informative along with the plethora of info on the web relating to meteorites.

Have ordered some beginners books to start up the learning curve, and starting to assemble some basic tools including a magnetic pick for digging.

I use a detector, a Minelab E-Trac which I have found excellent for the exploration I have done for relics and interesting old objects.

Anyway, my goal is to hopefully at least find a few small specimens of "space rock" to add to my collection of goodies and grow from there as I work up the learning curve.

I would certainly be interested in hearing about areas along the California eastern border and into Nevada that might be good spots to do some looking.

Surely with time, more info will surface, but if anyone has any recommendations that would be greatly appreciated. I usually do my hunting out of the Reno-Sparks

area, but open to any other suggestions as starting places that are open to public exploration. BLM land, etc.

Glad to meet any and all, and PLEASE STOP BY AND SAY HI especially if you have hunted meteorites in the West.

Many Thanks ---- Bob

Hello All --- well thanks for the replies and I will surely look into some of the areas here, including the Rye Patch area which you mentioned Fred.

Yep, that is the fun part of this hobby. You never know what you might turn up and enjoy some great country at the same time.

Thanks again for the help and comments. --- Bob

Welcome to the forum, apollomaker, and to a great hobby. There are lots of helpful and knowledgeable folks here. You may also want to look at some other sites, just do a web search for meteorite forum, or etc.

For places to look, I always suggest starting with the met. bull., the Meteoritical Bulletin, here: www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php , and search it for known meteorite finds in your area. You can search by state, or even by counties in a state, as well as other ways, and meteorites you are interested in, or everything in your state, can be pinned to google earth as favorite places. that will also give you photos of various meteorites so you get an idea of what you're looking for.

Since you're looking in California and Nevada, you could also just pick out any dry lake bed in the desert and start looking. Many "cold finds" have been made that way.

Your relic MD will be helpful for iron meteorites, and possible some others, but a dedicated gold seeking MD will do better with the chondrites and other low iron meteorites. You may want to visit some reputable sellers of meteorites, or on eBay, and get a "throw-down" meteorite to test your MD with. They are relatively inexpensive, only $20 or so. An L-chondrite about the size of a grape or large marble should do fine for starters.

Hope that helps.

Your relic MD will be helpful for iron meteorites, and possible some others, but a dedicated gold seeking MD will do better with the chondrites and other low iron meteorites. You may want to visit some reputable sellers of meteorites, or on eBay, and get a "throw-down" meteorite to test your MD with. They are relatively inexpensive, only $20 or so. An L-chondrite about the size of a grape or large marble should do fine for starters.

Hope that helps.

Hello! And thanks for the inputs. Yep, have ordered the first of some "throw downs" for some testing. We will see how that goes. Heading toward next spring, am planning on hitting some desert areas for some hunting. Gotta throw those good ole hunting snake guards into the truck as well (hehe). Should be fun -- looking forward to it. I will surely look at the site you recommended and some others too. Lots of good information out there that will help for sure.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays to everyone out there!!! --- Bob :D