Nugget Shooter Forums

Interesting read...

Meteor Crater is a fascinating place to visit, a great thing to experience. I think it's a must see for anyone who's interested at all in meteorites. I've been there a couple of times, but it's not far from where I live.

Never been there but would like to visit one of these days. I find it somewhat odd they haven't drilled into the crater for scientific purposes after all these years. I do believe they drilled as part of an iron mining venture at the turn of the century but didn't find anything.

Thanks for posting

Steve

Hi all!

If you are really interested in this, I have a book about Meteor Crater written by Barringer in 1909 (or was that 1906) if ya'll want a copy for your collection. Email me off list and I will provide it freely.

Jim

Fred- With all the iron laying around after it's discovery, I can't say I blame them for thinking they might uncover more by drilling.

I do find it odd they haven't already drilled into the crater floor to see the effects of the impact on the crust. That would be very interesting to find out how deep it was shocked...

Steve

Bloody hell! Just realized it was my 1000th post!!! :ROFL:

Congrats Johnno! Wasn't it you that posted the joke about the pilot telling folks to look out the right-side of the aircraft to see Meteor Crater, and the blonde sitting next to the window says...

Jim Wooddell's offer is very generous...for all the facts that would be a good place to start...

But, if you will suffer with my imperfect recollections;

They did drill very deep and in several places but never found the big astroid some thought should be buried in the crater...they thought a large solid object was the only way an impact crater could be formed...as I said they didn't have the science or would not believe the science...either way a fortune was spend hunting for something that was never there...for the rest of the story or a more perfect recounting you will have to read and research...

I am certain the mining company drilled many holes, those cores should still be laying around...if they want to study something why not them???

best wishes

fred

Yo All...I have been there a few times...(The visitor center sell books by my wife's company.) ... They have the largest remaining piece on display there...It's about a quarter the size of a Volkswagen...They have a new website too with a very interesting simulation of the actual event...I encourage anyone interested in meteorites at all to visit ... You can also buy pieces of it at a reasonable price ... Here's a 32 gram piece I bought there ... I think I paid about $30 for it ... Almost every roadside attraction near the crater sells lots of different meteorites but you need to be careful because some of them want ridiculous prices ... At one place they had a piece almost identical to mine and they want $250 for it ... Cheers, Unc

(Well I tried to upload a photo but the forum won't let me...)

You can also buy pieces of it at a reasonable price ... Here's a 32 gram piece I bought there ... I think I paid about $30 for it ...

Was that recent? When I was there in July all they had was shale and it was priced like 4x the going market rate.