Nugget Shooter Forums

Toyota p/u owners...advice please.

FlakMagnet

I know which brand of truck I want but

which Toyota p/u truck do you guys think is the best sized model and/or year to latch onto?

I am thinking a 4-door pre-runner with a shell would be a good middle-of-the-road combo

for family/travel/prospecting but there is a lot I don't know.

Any opinions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Flak ole friend my usage compared to yours is big difference but....

I wish mine had four doors...don't settle for less...

A camper shell is great for there...my thinking is it's almost a must for prospecting...here I would just tear it off

the first trip out...

4x4 for sure and put a locker in the front diff....ask "heybeerman" and GlennW about this...they helped me a lot...

Here we don't have all the screwed up rules about gas vs. diesel....so I would go diesel for sure if it's possible there...

I don't know about the bodies there but my 86 has all metal in the body...there's not 5lbs of plastic in the whole PU...

my gear ratios are 3.70 which is great for pulling power but really sucks on the highway...ask the two gearheads

above about a better choice for you there...

For a first hand look tell me your flight # and I'll meet you at the AP with a beer in both hands...

The only thing wrong with the older Toys is power. Otherwise you can find a steal on a good older rig with good care for pretty cheap. I love the Landcruiser wagons as well as the Forerunner for versatilty as well as off roading. The Forerunner is on a pickup frame and the Landcruiser is on an SUV frame. If'n you plan on modifications at all (I certainly would NOT) get a Forerunner type vehicle as things will be cheaper and more readily available.

I saw a nice Forerunner for sale in Santa Fe a few days ago. 2001, 120K miles and well taken care of for $2500. It didn't seem to need much of anything except a set of tires that were a little smaller diameter to make up for the lack of power under the hood. Anything larger than a 31" tire puts you at a power deficit especially if they are very wide. A big tire costs about 20% more in gasoline too.

Stick to a reasonable size tire that is not too much larger diameter than the manufacturer's design size and you won't have much problem off road nor on the highway. WIder tires SUCK in the snow as well as on a wet highway. Taller tires SUCK off road because they completely confound the gear ratio and create the demand for lower gears which in turn put more stress on the drive train which in turn lead to catasrtophic parts failure and low end stalling. Unless you are racing or are trying to drive in conditions that the vehicle was not designed to be driven in any of Toyota's vehicles can easily be the "best freaking prospecting vehicle out there" right out of the box!

For campability, longevity, versatility and power I like the V8 Landcruiser best.

Flak, don't know if you are talking new or used. But if new, and you get a Tacoma, get the TRD supercharger, It's a dealer in stalled option and as such is included in the original warranty. My Taco has 300hp and best of all it loses zero power at altitude, and makes towing anything a breeze. It now has 116,000 trouble free miles. Also, instead of a prerunner, I would vote for the 4X4 with factory installed rear locker. I have yet to need a front locker...... Yup, it's too bad we can't get the Diesel powered version here in the USA

LOVE my TRD--but the ol'school 86 22re gets where no man has gone before--and better yet BACK home again. Old long bed has the long trans and much more beefer than the 22r with 16 more hp and it makes a HUGE difference-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

Is there such a thing as a Toyota PU with a diesel engine in another state? Probably not or El D. would have

one....

Got my 86 out today...first time since the new clutch went in...that entire ensemble is one big mother...after the

mech took all the cables and electric wires loose he put a rope around it and put one of those hydraulic arms in

the cab and supported the thing while he took the bolts out and then set it on the floor...then he could get to the

clutch works....don't know the name of the big piece that the clutch disc fits in but it cost R$600.00 here...then the

disc and a throw-out bearing (it was totalled)...R$1,151.00 for everything including labor...

So today while in the dirt I gave the 4x4 a test and everything seemed to go in and out without any issues...WHEW!!!

Brazil quit making my version of the Toyota in 2000...the new big version is called the Hi-Lux..beautiful....gas or

diesel...standard or auto...4 dr....R$130,000.00...

My '07 Tacoma TRD, 4x4, 4-Door, Short-Bed, works great as my prospecting vehicle. I had it out today in search of the "Glory Hole"!! Got onto this old two-track road that took an hour to cover 4 miles and made a significant contribution to my Arizona pinstripe paint scheme.

Speaking for myself, the 4x4 is essential in my ability to get off the beaten path. I had her in 4x4 Low on this two-tracker and used the locking differential when I crossed a wash and hit damp clay coming up the bank on the other side. I started to get some wheel spin in the clay, so I hit the button for the Diff. Locker and she crawled right out. The rear seat of the 4-door works great for keeping my more valuable things out of the weather and away from sicky fingers.

Side Note: Both of the stiff plastic mudflaps on the driver's side were gone a long time ago. If any of you folks find 'em on the side of the trail - they are mine!!!

-Joe

Good story there Joe...I'm sure your short bed works better than my long bed....you have better clearance when

crossing those washes aka gullys....in this town is a shop that specializes in leaf springs for semi's...they know how

to handle leaf springs so about five years ago I took the Toy there and they pulled all my leaf springs and put them

in a machine that gives the springs more arch...gave the Toy about 4" more ground clearance....

I don't know anything about those button operated lockers you guys up there have but sounds like it would be the

thing for me to have...

Garimpo -

That was my thought when I got the short bed. Seems like all these dirt roads in AZ run back and forth through narrow washes. I still end up dragging the rear bumber through some. I would like to eventually do a 3" lift on mine. Unfortunately I don't know all that much about how things work with my vehicle, only that if I push a button or turn a knob, they do.

:miner: Thank you for taking the time to educate.

Time being almost as precious as gold these days.

I am leaning toward a short-bed 4x4.

I love the idea of a supercharger but my accountant does not.

I also have a typical flatlander problem in that I drive at least 120 miles a day

accompanying my daughter to her rhythmic gymnastics training six days a week.

Screenshot2011-11-15at80221AM.jpg

The photo above tells you where all the money is going right now...

I like the idea of Mickey Thompson tires which I have had several people tall me

are quieter than the Bridgestone off-road tires on the freeway.

Sincere thanks again...

Flak just don't get in a hurry as you well know....carefully make your list of what you want and stick with it as

much as possible...go back to post #3 and re-read BB's post about tire sizes...it's a good read...I never go

over 1 size taller and never wider for the reasons he posted....

When your ready to drop the $$ why not have everybody on here help you find what you want....that would be

one hell of a coverage....

David

Hey you will pay for the new tires, wear them out first. Then get some BFGoodrich all terrain tires Load range E. They will last 60-70K miles depending on how well you keep them rotated and balanced. Off road,they are the best, on the road, I would rate them 9.5 out of 10. They pretty much have the strongest sidewall you can find.

The new Generation Taco has more HP and Torque then the last gen and with the new 4 liter 236 hp engine you will do just fine.

Now you have planted the new truck syndrome in my head.......

El Dorado,

About using the new tires that come with a vehicle:

I had a series of four flats out in the middle on nowhere with

the tires that came with my last SUV. Two out in Rye Patch,

one that happily let go just as I got to the paved road after

being miles up an old river channel and one up in the Inyo Mountains

trying to figure out where Denny and Beeper Bob were camped.

So I'm understandably leery about doing anything even slightly weird with stock tires.

Apologies for the new truck temptation,

it's a hard one once it takes hold...I'm wrestling with it now as you can tell

and I have no right to even think about it we're so buried in very much more important expenses.

But still...

I like "...They pretty much have the strongest sidewall you can find..."

That seems to be the biggest drawback with most off-road tires, the sidewall.

Well, that and harsh road noise, but they're getting better with dialing that out.

Anyway thanks and good luck with your new temptation...

G'Day Flak and Everyone

My Toy is a 4x4 extra cab, 1994 but actually it's a 1995; the last of the 1994s actually made in Japan. I love this truck. Since I've had it, never had to change the brakes, still plenty of meat. Only problem I had with it was the water pump. Got rid of the tires it came with after some severe flats due to some off road excursions to a far off mine around Pahrump.

PICT0156.jpg

Now I run BF Goodrich All Terrains, Tri-Guard 3 Ply Sidewall. If you're going to go down, your side wall is going to be the problem. So far I'm a happy camper. Just remember to rotate your tires, if you do this, you will eliminate noise. And keep that pressure up

Trip15.jpg

Hi Johnno,

That sure looks like Red Rock Canyon there in the b.g. of that photo of your trusty toyo.

Thanks for the heads up on BF Goodrich's, they seem to be the popular brand by far...

And yes I rotate my tires and use nitrogen which I think is amazing. Hardly ever even have to

check the pressures, they don't change.

Cheers

I run them GY on all my tacos and 4 x 4 mag even rates them righteous for dual use also. Amazing how many taco lovers here. Never seen a diesel taco stateside but lots of them in Costa Rica. Why no US??? any ideas why?? thanx much for additional info as always happy to learn here-John

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Johnno,

That sure looks like Red Rock Canyon there in the b.g. of that photo of your trusty toyo.

Thanks for the heads up on BF Goodrich's, they seem to be the popular brand by far...

And yes I rotate my tires and use nitrogen which I think is amazing. Hardly ever even have to

check the pressures, they don't change.

Cheers

Flak you're right. It was Red Rock Canyon. It was quite an adventure, but there's been a lot of talk on Toys and Hilux. So here's one for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JspHqoegTkc

Cheers

Johnno

Guest Gripper

I love my 92' Hilux 4x4. Whoever said BFG all terrains is 100% spot on. This is the tire to get if you don't want flats and you want good life and traction out of your tires. For hardcore offroad ability, put in a rear electric locker out of a later model taco, its going to take a little bit of work but it is worth every bit. Do not get the V6 unless you choose a little bit of power over a lot of reliability (the 22re). This generation of Toyota is keeping the vast majority of the 3rd world working toward being 2nd and 1st world....