Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High Fever

What's size classifier screens do you use?

Hi All,

I currently only use a 1/2" with 1/4" classifier under that. Not using a sluice how fine of screens does everyone use before taking it to the pan?

I use a 1/4 and 1/8 combo and pile my tailing to one spot so i could run my md over it, just my opinion. Happy hunting and Merry Christmass to all.

Your question seems to be in regard to panning. I generally use the 1/8, 1/12, 1/20 and 1/30 5 gal. bucket classifiers through which I run either my dry washer cons or my sluice cons. I usually start with the sub-30 material if I have a lot of time. If I'm on a schedule, then I just take the sub-30 back home with me. I generally do my panning as a rest period in between heavy shoveling runs or after I've eaten lunch. Anything that doesn't go through the 1/8 [plus-8] is thrown into a separate 7 gal. black plastic tub, spread out and metal detected with my GB2. Sometimes I do that for the plus-12 also. The reasons for using these classifiers are: (1) It is way easier and faster to pan out like sized materials and (2) It gives me instant feedback in regard to how the gold is running, [larger, smaller, roughly the same, etc.], i.e., valuable sampling information. That, in turn, informs my next dry washer or sluice run.

I only use the 1/50 and the 1/100 when using a Blue Bowl for the really fine stuff. It works better to classify the material in water than dry, i.e., fill a bucket full of water, place the classifier on top, then pour in your cons while shaking or bobbing the screen. Carefully pour off the excess water when finished and spoon the black sands into the bowl. Lately, I've had good success with the Angus MacKirk 4" recirculating finishing sluice. It is much faster than the bowl and just about as efficient.

For pre-classifying sluice or drywasher material I use the 1/2 or 1/4. My Exorcist requires that I pre-classify with 1/8.

Hope this helps.

Your question seems to be in regard to panning. I generally use the 1/8, 1/12, 1/20 and 1/30 5 gal. bucket classifiers through which I run either my dry washer cons or my sluice cons. I usually start with the sub-30 material if I have a lot of time. If I'm on a schedule, then I just take the sub-30 back home with me. I generally do my panning as a rest period in between heavy shoveling runs or after I've eaten lunch. Anything that doesn't go through the 1/8 [plus-8] is thrown into a separate 7 gal. black plastic tub, spread out and metal detected with my GB2. Sometimes I do that for the plus-12 also. The reasons for using these classifiers are: (1) It is way easier and faster to pan out like sized materials and (2) It gives me instant feedback in regard to how the gold is running, [larger, smaller, roughly the same, etc.], i.e., valuable sampling information. That, in turn, informs my next dry washer or sluice run.

I only use the 1/50 and the 1/100 when using a Blue Bowl for the really fine stuff. It works better to classify the material in water than dry, i.e., fill a bucket full of water, place the classifier on top, then pour in your cons while shaking or bobbing the screen. Carefully pour off the excess water when finished and spoon the black sands into the bowl. Lately, I've had good success with the Angus MacKirk 4" recirculating finishing sluice. It is much faster than the bowl and just about as efficient.

For pre-classifying sluice or drywasher material I use the 1/2 or 1/4. My Exorcist requires that I pre-classify with 1/8.

Hope this helps.

Thanks that helps a lot im very new to all this so anything is appreciated. I had done some stream sluicing when I was a kid in Idaho but that was a long time ago and I didnt do the shoveling. So im just starting to really get into now that im older and in California plus I just want out of the city as much as possible. So im trying to get as much info I can. I'm trying to plan a trim to the Sierras but im just going to be classifing then panning that material. Any suggestions? Thanks