Nugget Shooter Forums

What Gold Pan Do You Use?

No pan does production. Garreet, Keene or black Stansport, I always use round to get my gravels down to the oro puro-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

Occasionally I'll use a Garrett to test a stream....and always use their classifier first....

For years I used the little Garrett for clean-up on my dredge but then I tested the Trinitybowl....that sucker

really gets the gold...too good in fact....the little "pocket" in the back of the bowl traps the finest of the fines

but the problem is trying to get the gold out....it should have a trap door there...

Garret pans are my favorite, but after seeing a Swedish flat pan in action at the State Panning Championships this summer I would like to get one of those That being said, just about any pan I have ever used works!

Used Garret for years untill it floated down the Chesatee (my fault). Took a liken' to the Proline mainly because its profile fit my hiking rig really well.

I'm with El D on the flat pans---that will need to wait untill after I wear out the ones I have.

HJ is right----which leads to what Garimpo said. I use a 3/8 classifier and sample with my pan. No color--move on. Couple of good sample pans then you can set-up for "production". Sadly for me here that means a sluice. Can't figure out how to get my combo here without paying for it all over again.

I've seen locals using "pans" that may get close to production. Basically bottoms off of steel drums that has a indention pounded in the center---massive shoulder power is required. Five minutes with one and I was done for---they sort of laugh at my plastic "dinner" plate.

Used Garret for years untill it floated down the Chesatee (my fault). Took a liken' to the Proline mainly because its profile fit my hiking rig really well.

I'm with El D on the flat pans---that will need to wait untill after I wear out the ones I have.

HJ is right----which leads to what Garimpo said. I use a 3/8 classifier and sample with my pan. No color--move on. Couple of good sample pans then you can set-up for "production". Sadly for me here that means a sluice. Can't figure out how to get my combo here without paying for it all over again.

I've seen locals using "pans" that may get close to production. Basically bottoms off of steel drums that has a indention pounded in the center---massive shoulder power is required. Five minutes with one and I was done for---they sort of laugh at my plastic "dinner" plate.

Yea Mac....I've also heard the laughing about the little plastic pans...guys around here won't even give one a try...the Brazilian

batai is like you say...looks like the bottom of a 55 gal. drum and they put an indention in the center and that sucker does get

the fine gold...as for the heavy part just let the batai sit on the water while you swirl the stuff inside around and over the edge...

I use many different plastic pans -- all round. I do not use square, hexagonal or any type of pan containing angles because it makes control difficult; particularly in the final stages of back panning. Garrett makes some good ones. I have had bad experience trying to break in new Keene pans. For some [manufacturing?] reason almost every Keene I've tried came with an extremely difficult film or residue that repels water and is virtually impossible to remove [unless way more effort is dumped into the task than is worth it].

Occasionally I'll use a Garrett to test a stream....and always use their classifier first....

For years I used the little Garrett for clean-up on my dredge but then I tested the Trinitybowl....that sucker

really gets the gold...too good in fact....the little "pocket" in the back of the bowl traps the finest of the fines

but the problem is trying to get the gold out....it should have a trap door there...

I also like that little garrett pan and how deep it is. I would like to find a larger version of the design.

The Trinity really does do a good job at trapping gold but I agree that clean up is very difficult.

I have started using a large Proline pan and am starting to like it.

I have a Hex Pan and it seems that it should work very well, but I have not had much luck with it.

I have not tried any of the square pans such as the le trap, maverick, or gold grabber, but they look interesting.

The pyramid pro pan looks like it could process a lot of material , but I believe it is overpriced.

I actually had a plastic pan break on me on a trip back from somewhere, must have been shifting items loaded in the back that damaged it. So, I recently bought a metal pan, I believe the brand is Eastwing, not too impressed with the riffles, but it is still fairly functional and more reliable than a cracked pan, that's for sure. Just checked, it's Estwing, not Eastwing.

Was just out yesterday with 3 other guys to a local spot and after getting several buckets of concentrates to pan out I let them use whatever pan they wanted of mine. They all wanted to try the Trinity I had and each and every one of them asked me why I keep it since they all ended up using the Garrets to clean up the con's. I told them the truth, I keep it for my dogs water bowl when out exploring and it still looks almost new.

Garrett vs Brazilian pan(bateia)

Valcyalegre014.jpg

WoW! I want one! No For Real, Are they heavy? I had a old steel pan (GOT ROBBED) I liked a lot. Blued it with Fire and boy did that thing work good.

That one is actually a bit smaller and looks purpose built compared to what I saw some guys using. Of course they were a rough bunch who probally would have used my dried skull if they had the chance...

The real valuable piece of equipment in that picture is just over that guys left shoulder.

Garimpo--your Toy has really benefited from demand and inflation. Average asking price around here for an 86'/'87 is between 25--30,000 Rs.

Is there a video dem somewhere for the Brazilian pan(bateia)? Looks like the goal is to get all the heavies down into the center of the pan rather than to one side of the pan.

I'm with jasonG. Luv my Le Trap!

I know that I get more gold with it, and faster, than a round pan! And it does get the finest of gold too.

It is so much easier on a bad back!

I float it, and rock it with one hand, and the other hand free to hold a beer.

And you get a strait line of gold, with almost NO BLACK SAND, and just suck up the clean gold in my snifter!

I have shown others how well it works, and now they use it, and are happy!

It was designed for fine gold areas by a Canadian.

And it fits neatly in my back pack, and I can pack other stuff around it, or you can strap it to your belt with a cord.

The other thing is, you dont have to clasify material first. Altho that is always a good idea. :D

OldSalt there's about three different sizes of the Bateias....the one above is probably the middle size....my

partner holding it .....you can only see his right arm does a great job of panning with it....he puts a pretty good sized load of

gravel in and starts moving it around in circles while resting the pan on the water....it's really much the same motion as our

plastic pans but it will hold a lot of material and the very bottom has a little round bulb type protrusion about the size of a

dime and 1/4 inch deep and that's where the gold will settle.....

When their through panning they tilt the pan to one side and with their free hand dribble a little water into the gold and it just

slides slowly down the side of the pan into what ever they want to put it in....

Up North of here....extremely rough people they use this same size pan and get 1-2 oz. per pan....about six months ago I saw

a video of them panning the gold....wish I had the video but I don't....

Hi Micro Nugget, I always used fine steel wool all over a new plastic gold pan it takes that residue off right a way with minimal effort. fwiw

If'n you take 50 grit paper and cross hatch the bottom of any plastic pan it will make a "gold trap" like what is on the square LeTrap. A great surface for catching gold. The old wood batea (the Mexican version of the Brazilian batai I suppose) has the same surface. When that wood gets wet and moppy gold wont pass over it. They are usually a piece of mahogany cross cut so the end grans are the bottom surface. KILLER GOLD TRAP.

Be careful with steel wool. It will definitely break the slick surface but it has its own oils to deal with. it is coated with oil to keep the fine steel fibers from rusting. That is why it makes such a good fire starter. An old sanding belt is best or a piece of rough "Scotch Brite" is great.

A 16" metal estwing pan with three concentric grooves is good. Take a file and scratch the corner of the pan with the tang. Cross hatch it just like the Le Trap. That "wire rough" surface is darn good. A plastic pan worked over with a 50 grit belt is the same. I like the plastic as it raises those thin wire edges higher and creates a wicked grabby spot in your pan. If'n you dont like it simply buff it out.

My buddy sat by a campfire and branded his pan with a hot nail in a series of "stripes" across one corner. Works dandy.

If you use "Castrol Super Clean" on any surface it will strip any oils or waxes. It makes a great wash for black sands prior to amaalgamation or using a fine table. It breaks surface tension and solubilizes all oil. We treated cons with it and it made fine gold recovery a lot more efficient. You can eat bacon out of your pan and then drain your gearbox into it. Super Clean will stip all the oil off in one pass. It makes a great cleaner in the garage and around the house but is great for prospecting.

Was just out yesterday with 3 other guys to a local spot and after getting several buckets of concentrates to pan out I let them use whatever pan they wanted of mine. They all wanted to try the Trinity I had and each and every one of them asked me why I keep it since they all ended up using the Garrets to clean up the con's. I told them the truth, I keep it for my dogs water bowl when out exploring and it still looks almost new.

I never did get one for testing, looks like you did! Guess your conclusion was not so good since you now relegate it to a watering bowl for the dogs. :gig:

• 2 weeks later...

Any one tried making one of these pans? ...calls it a "Focus pan" and he wants to patent it. Looks simple enough to make.