Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crab_Cake

Mining Vehicles, what do you use?

Going mining in a very remote/mountainous region of Idaho this Summer. Looking at getting a pickup and maybe an ATV as well. We'll see. Would love to hear what everyone uses for prospecting and what your perfect mining vehicle would be.

I have a SxS and a Jeep, honestly the jeep gets more use. I dont have to put it on a trailer, strap it down...etc. I drive to where i'm going, put it 4wd and keep going. Having said that, i've been a few places only an atv could get to, but not many :twocents:

The ATV I use is a Polaris, it is a 2006 and has over 9000 miles on it and still going strong.

I also use a 2008 Honda ridgeline to go places too.

CC to many variables to nail it down to just one vehicle....like:

How far do you have to travel....

Extended range fuel tanks...

How long do you stay there....

Sleep in a tent or fold up trailer....

Bear country....

Rough and rocky terrain....

Mud...snow...high altitude...

Alone or a buddy system...

Deep pockets or beer budget....

There's other concerns but those are most of mine....but something you should ask yourself before jumping off the deep

end and buying something that doesn't fit your beeping style....

Here's what I use...ain't pretty but has high clearance...true 4x4(lockers front and rear)...double cab with shelves I built in

the top of the cab....diesel motor that pulls when you need the power....two fuel tanks(1500 mile range)....and best of all

paid for...yesterday a complete new clutch system installed....not cheap....

post-300-0-32756500-1323259675_thumb.jpgpost-300-0-24348500-1323259702_thumb.jpg

notice the two spares...twice I've used both before getting back to a town...hope this helps....

:wubu: LOVE my toyotas above any and all others. 86 22re(more hp) 4 X 4 long bed has the long trans and 5 speed with overdrive and goes and goes and goes. Like my 04 tacoma TRD 4 X 4 as has the much stronger 6 for hauling trailers and such for longer extended trips at FAST speeds. Wyoming PD got me at 103 last year because I was slowing down :P tons a au 2 u 2 -John

I have my '02 Tacoma, it's pretty customized and has 300hp. Great combo of a small highly maneuverable truck with enough HP to tow all my stuff. And some of that stuff includes my better than a mule, Polaris RZR. That sucker will go anywhere I dare to try going.

85 Toyota

Goes where a jeep will go but a bed for the equipment. I added a removable tow bar for the front. Just in case I'm back in there and something happens I can get my baby out easy. Glen and I do get back in there

Don I like the look of your baby

Hey All, For many years I used a little red Suzuki Sidekick. I took the passenger seat out and rigged it up with a ripped piece of plywood with a nice piece of foam for the sleeping bag. I had the highest ply tires I could get and carried two ready tires. The Sidekick was just a four banger but it was 4 wheel drive. I had extra gas cans and water cans mounted inside and by the time I had clothes, food, and equipment loaded I was full. I would hunt Northern Nevada for weeks at a time. I had many people ride with me and tell me that I went where most ATV's would not. Got alot of gold those years, those were the days. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Another Toyota - '07 Tacoma TRD, 4x4, 4-door, short bed

I have a spot that has an old jeep trail down into a canyon. I packed my gear in on my back because my skirt blew up into my face every time I thought about driving this steep, rough, jeep trail. When it finally came time to get my gear back out, the thought of packing it out of the canyon on my back motivated me to take the Toyota in. I dropped the tire pressure, put her in 4x4 Low, locked the rear diff. and tucked my skirt into my pantyhose. That Toyota climbed out of there without hardly spinning a tire. Great truck!!!

-Joe

Love these Toyota stories....since I can't afford anything else....especially about climbing the hills

and navigating the gullies...before I got the "lockers" I tore half a mountain down trying to get out

one day...all gravel and steep...the tires paid a price too....

I've been know to put a few things in my Toyotapost-300-0-66586700-1323345110_thumb.jpg

now and then

Gotta Luv'm them toys for us boyz-John

There ya go crab cake, as many opinions as miners :P Bottom line, use whatever is appropriate for your needs. Only you know that. Hard to beat an atv for real extreme terrain though. I've taken my Cat places NO p/up (or jeep for that matter) would make it. BUT if Idaho is anything like Colorado, a small p/up or Jeep will probably get you anywhere you want to go.

This is my moose hunting rig back home.

Jake10Nome013.jpg

Jake10Nome012.jpg

This thing has packed out enormous amounts of gear though some of the crappiest trails on the planet, last summer I used in Nome to pack my 6" dredge out to my claims(Though 80 miles of soggy tundra...that would swallow anything heavier whole) Took the whole dredge out in 1 trip plus gear!!!

Love these Toyota stories....since I can't afford anything else....especially about climbing the hills

and navigating the gullies...before I got the "lockers" I tore half a mountain down trying to get out

I've been know to put a few things in my Toyotapost-300-0-66586700-1323345110_thumb.jpg

now and then

Looks like you've still got room for a case of suds...

Looks like you've still got room for a case of suds...

Hopefully he has those stashed in the cab, where they wont get broken!

Thats a hellava packin job G... must be nice to dredge somewhere warm, cept for the snakes of course :yikes:

Hopefully he has those stashed in the cab, where they wont get broken!

Thats a hellava packin job G... must be nice to dredge somewhere warm, cept for the snakes of course :yikes:

And crocodiles as well!! :WOW:

There ya go crab cake, as many opinions as miners :P Bottom line, use whatever is appropriate for your needs. Only you know that. Hard to beat an atv for real extreme terrain though. I've taken my Cat places NO p/up (or jeep for that matter) would make it. BUT if Idaho is anything like Colorado, a small p/up or Jeep will probably get you anywhere you want to go.

This is my moose hunting rig back home.

Jake10Nome013.jpg

Jake10Nome012.jpg

This thing has packed out enormous amounts of gear though some of the crappiest trails on the planet, last summer I used in Nome to pack my 6" dredge out to my claims(Though 80 miles of soggy tundra...that would swallow anything heavier whole) Took the whole dredge out in 1 trip plus gear!!!

darn Dave....that's awsome....great way to go for the terrain your in....

:miner: one sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet tundra ride and that trailer rocks!! You said Cat,as in cat trailor or??? John

Arctic Cat Mud Pro... factory supplied w/ 28" swampers and a snorkel for deep water crossings! The trailer is a Pac-Rat made in Anchorage AK by Plaschem. It gets the job done when its muddy as all hell :miner:

Dave is the snorkel for the Cat or you?.....

How many miles average on a tank of gas?....

Do you run "green snot" in your tires?....or just your "hankie"...

Does it come with chains for the tires or is that no needed?....

Milage totally depended on the load but generally between 75-90 miles on a 6 gallon tank, your toyota probably gets better milage :hmmmmm:

YES i slime EVERY off road tire I own! That crap is awesome.... was 60 miles in the tundra a few years ago, and cracked an aluminum wheel. The Slime fixed it, drove it for two more years(until some azzhole stole it)

Had water over the racks a few times, she just kept bombing along, like it was nothing. Had raised vent lines to go along with the snorkel, so you REALLY had to sink it for it to stop running :miner:

Never needed chains with those swampers... i think the lugs are so big, the chains would sit below them and not do too much good anyhow

And crocodiles as well!! :WOW:

At night at my last dredging spot I would shine the Maglight out across the water and on the opposite shore count

10 glowing red eyes aka 5 crocs....but they never bothered me in the day time...I was more concerned about the

Piranhias...

I think the best option for most situations is a towing a quad or ATV behind your vehicle until you reach dirt road and then offloading. I use a 4x4 Ford Ranger Pickup and it works well, but off-roading is rough on vehicles. Eventually I will purchase a flatbed trailer and an ATV, preferably a John Deere.

The thing that amazes me is these guys with huge 4x4’s and a quad. I don’t really understand why they need a 4x4 if they have a quad and don’t take the 4x4 off road.

OldSalt,

It does seem like overkill but in certain circumstances- like extreme terrain, it's probably the right choice.

On the other side of the coin I have been amazed at some of the places I have come across guys in

regular 2 wheel drive sedans out in the 'way beyond....here you come in 4-wheel drive feeling like you've

been livin on the edge cheating death in the Dakar Rally or something,

and there's some guy in a Ford Fairlane parked on the side of the track.

Pretty funny.

I actually got one hell of a ride out in the Dale from a guy who used to frequent this forum

in an aged and very regular sedan when he was showing me around.

I couldn't believe the places he took me over the course of that day's driving.

It was hair-raising, eye-popping and great fun in the end.

But I still don't know quite how he did it.

Ya gotta love prospectors.

now and then

Here's the top load over the cab...

DredgeonToyota003Small.jpg