Nugget Shooter Forums

GB2 and 9v Rechargeable Batteries

I want to go over to rechargeable 9 volt batteries on my GB2 and am having a bit of a problem doing so!!

First problem is a charger that will automatically turn off when a complete charge has been reached :D

I have not been able to find such an animal, search as I might :*&$*(:

I've already fried a few batteries by overcharging :ROFL: and they aren't cheap! One must monitor these rascals constantly or come to grief for sure :aw-shucks: Not only that but what should they be charged up to anyway?? I know you don't charge them up to the level of a new nonrechargeable 9volt battery (around 9.6 volts I believe). I do charge them up to the level of a new "rechargeable" 9volt battery (around 8.3 volts). I know that they are not going to last as long as the "nonrechargeables' do which is around 40 hours of detecting. However I do believe they should last more than 10-15 hours before recharging!!

I put in a lot of hours detecting and rechargeables are the way to go as it can save me a lot of money but the real reason I want the NiMH is, the voltage level stays constant until the end of the charge which means no loss of depth while detecting :shhhhh:

Does anyone out there have experience in these areas I'm wrestling with? :idea: I'd sure appreciate a helping hand :tisk-tisk:

Wishbone NM

Wishbone I've been using re-chargeables for as long as they've been invented...for the last couple of years I've

started using the Li-lon and I always buy the recommended charger for the batteries that I buy....here's a site that

will give you more info than you probably would ever want...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

Wishbone since 9v rechargeables are hard to find here's a site with them for sale with their chargers....

http://www.amazon.com/Volt-Lithium-Battery-Charger-Li-Ion/dp/B0038Z8HQ8/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1322780920&sr=1-7

All chargers I've ever seen don't cut off but they go into a trickle charge when the batt. is full...I always buy the 110v and the

12v cargers and a couple of spare batteries....

This is a combo that's hard to beat, 9v 500 mAh Li-ion for $4 and a 4 bay smart charger for $35.

http://www.batteryspace.com/Li-Ion-9V-500mAh-4.5Wh-Rechargeable-Battery.aspx

http://www.batteryjunction.com/ipowerus-9v-charger.html

I also make a pull tab out of tape so I can get them out of the stupid gold bug 2 setup. just run tape down one side, leave a little slack and run up the other side, pinch the slack on the bottom to form a tab to grab, just fold it over to put the door on. what a poor battery holder design. you must trim the tape so nothing is on either large flat sides, it is a tight fit. 2 of these battery's lasted more than 1 day.

This is a combo that's hard to beat, 9v 500 mAh Li-ion for $4 and a 4 bay smart charger for $35.

http://www.batterysp...le-Battery.aspx

http://www.batteryju...9v-charger.html

I also make a pull tab out of tape so I can get them out of the stupid gold bug 2 setup. just run tape down one side, leave a little slack and run up the other side, pinch the slack on the bottom to form a tab to grab, just fold it over to put the door on. what a poor battery holder design. you must trim the tape so nothing is on either large flat sides, it is a tight fit. 2 of these battery's lasted more than 1 day.

Best prices I've seen yet...just be sure to get Li-ion/Li-ion or Li-Polymer/Li-Polymer...don't mix them...

I use the NIMh recharables from EverReady and they work fine. Most all of the smart chargers you can buy today have built in timers as part of the process of charging as a fail safe. Just read the specs.

That said, if a person buys these superduper 9v batteries that claim a alot of MaH, then you need a charger that will match them at least at a 10% charge rate.

For example. The EverReady batteries I have claim 175mah.

My old Radio Shack NiCad charger only outputs 8ma. Therefore, to charge these batteries, I need to leave them on the charger for 21.875 hours (175/8).

A newer charger I have (still many years old) outputs 23ma. With that charger, I have to leave the batteries in the charger 7.6 hours. This charger claims to be smart and it shuts off somewhere around 12 hours.

I do seem to get a better charge with my old 8ma charger based on used of batteries in the field.

If I had some of these wizbang super batteries that have 250mah, for example, I'd have to leave it in the old charger for 31.25 hours and in the newer charger for 10.9 hours

Now, I can buy these EverReady's for just under $10 each. So it costs me $20 for a set of batteries for the GB2. A regular set of 9v batteries cost about $6 for two.

I have to use the rechargables 3.3 times to make them worth the purchase. I think right now, I have reused the current sets about 20 times. So, they are very much worth the cost, even at $10 a pop!

The real bummer about my favorite charger is that it has only 3 positions for 9v batteries! Not 4!

I carry a spare set and Wendy does too. So, it takes me a few days to recharge all my batteries.

The newer charge, that I really do not like, has only two positions. If you buy a charger, get one with 8 independent positions. You won't ever be sorry for that.

Also, I have noticed that the GB2 likes 9v regular batteries better. The reason is they generally operate at a slightly higher voltage. And, Fisher calibrates to alkaline batteries.

Still, the GBII works great.

Jim

:brows: same here as I like none rechargeables as slow fade and not drop dead dead and last longer also--works for me-Consumers report December edition has great article on this topic also-Ifn' I had to worry about cost I wouldn't be detecting in the first place-John

Wishbone,

I use rechargeables in my GB2 also. The main trouble is finding some that fit in the battery compartment without getting stuck. Harbor Freight to the rescue... not only are their new batteries slimmer, they have a good m/ah rating also. Just calculate the hours needed for recharging and use the timer that Frank C suggested. You will not be disappointed... they last a good many hours but just keep a backup pair with you since rechargeables are done when they are done. The lower voltage is not a problem with the GB2 or GBPro. These detectors can operate down to 7.6 volts (I think this is the voltage that Fisher told me when I first inquired about using rechargeables with the GB2) without any loss of performance.

Lucky Joe

Archived