Nugget Shooter Forums

Hello everyone I was wondering if some one could help me ID this. I was finally able to get out to AZ for some beeping time out in the Quartzite area this weekend. Didn't find much as far as gold but I did stumble across this rock that made the detector go nuts. I went ahead and check it with my magnet that is on my pick and to my surprise it got stuck to it. I didn't take any picture of it at the site since my camera was at home :grr01:. Any ways I just got home and used my scale and it come up to 239.6grams. I also took some picture and placed the magnet on it to show its magnetic. Hope some one can help me id this cause it would be awesome if it was a meteorite. Thanks in advance.

Mario

11-28-11.jpg

bummer and here I tough I had some thing instead of being skunked. Oh well there is always next time. I guess now I know what not to pick up, well that's how we learn Thanks for the help guys hopefully ill have better luck this coming weekend.

Mario,

Welcome to the forum! You will find a wealth of knowledge here, and some very informed, friendly people. Meteorites are fun to hunt, hard to find, and so much fun when you find one, you'll go nuts. Some general pointers to help you get started; 1. Do some research of the area your hunting, 2. Try to understand what a meteorite looks like, 3. Know some of the simple tests to get you going to ID a suspected rock, and finally 4. Study, study, and study. I posted a list of resources a couple of days ago, and highly recommend picking up a book or two to get you started. Field Guide to Meteorites, by O. Richard Norton is probably one the best to start with. Then, the list goes from there. Have fun, keep at it, and keep us posted. And again, welcome to the forum!

Jason :)

Thanks Jayray, i've been lurking in this site for a while but never had anything to post so never did. Hopefully ill have more stuff now that ill be going out nugget and meteorite hunting.

Franks thanks, and you are right now I know how hotrocks sound and when I do find one ill know what it is. Hopefully ill meet up with you when i am out in AZ. Not sure if youll be at the Quartzite outing this weekend but if you are hope to see you there.

Mario

Mario, it's not a meteorite. The give away for me is the numerous very small holes in it's surface. Meteorites are smooth. Others more knowledgeable may have some additional indicators.

While it's good to know it's not a meteorite, it's more important to know why, what the indicators are to look for.

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...